The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology Help- Need Notes

Heeeey guys :smile: Basically my school hasn't taught advanced highers for a while until now- So we dont have looooads of resources for that level.
My biology teacher is using the bright red publishing AH Biology book to form our notes for the biology course, as well as looking at the arrangements documents on the SQA website.
However, after looking on scholar and the powerpoints on hamiltonscience.org, I've noticed there is a lot more detail given in these than in that book, therefore than in my notes.
I was just wondering what a good depth of detail is for the course. Is the hamiltonscience and scholar detail about right, too little or too much?

On scholar, a lot of detail is given about microscopy and I was just like whaaaaat when I was reading it xD And the hamiltonscience.org powerpoints- one of them goes into a lot of detail about cystic fibrosis and when I read that I was like whaaaaaaaaat as well.
If someone could give me notes for the first topic, or a place to go for them that have the right amount of detail that'd be greeeeeeat!

I have a NAB soon, so I am slightly worried. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

is a-level biology hard because i want to do it but with the other subjects i have picked are a load of work and i don't want to drowned in all of it plus i am stuck between a-level biology and media studies i love both and did both at GCSE but i wanted to continue but sadly THANKYOU !!!!
Original post by udhfihdfiosghor
is a-level biology hard because i want to do it but with the other subjects i have picked are a load of work and i don't want to drowned in all of it plus i am stuck between a-level biology and media studies i love both and did both at GCSE but i wanted to continue but sadly THANKYOU !!!!

You're in the scottish qualifications, you need to go onto the other forum. :smile:
Reply 3
Our teacher gives us the scholar textbook and just tells us to make notes from that, but I think it has way too much information. The BrightRed book maybe is cutting it a bit short for all the knowledge you know, but it does give the most important parts.

On another note, has anyone done the unit 1 NAB? Is it difficult? Because I think I have mine soon but I haven't been in school for over a week so I could get it surprised to me when I go back next week :frown:
Reply 4
Thanks guys. What i've been doing is looking at essay questions that come up in the exams, then looking at the marking scheme. Then I'll find extra info to supplement my notes so I have enough for essay questions.
Original post by Apologetic Cube
I think there is such a thing as having too much in the way of resources; it can actually become a little overwhelming. You're therefore best just to stick to one or two books whilst you're studying the course. I personally prefer the BrightRed books as they keep the content short and concise, making it far more easy to digest and, ultimately, memorise the material. I reckon if you were to know everything in the BrightRed book, as well as having some exam exposure, you'd have no trouble getting an A pass. That being said, for the likes of essay questions, CSM1996 is right to point out that the BrightRed book may be somewhat scarce in the way of content. I'd therefore recommend that you supplement your study from the BrightRed book with some additional reading, perhaps from Scholar or the Monographs, so that you can gain a more holistic view of the topics and potentially pick up more marks in your essays.

Original post by CSM1996
Our teacher gives us the scholar textbook and just tells us to make notes from that, but I think it has way too much information. The BrightRed book maybe is cutting it a bit short for all the knowledge you know, but it does give the most important parts.

On another note, has anyone done the unit 1 NAB? Is it difficult? Because I think I have mine soon but I haven't been in school for over a week so I could get it surprised to me when I go back next week :frown:

Well I have the nab at the end of next week- so I'll tell you then how difficult it was :smile: Also Id be really grateful if someone could tell me if the hamiltonscience powerpoints are too much detail? Thanks for the tips guys. I'll keep them in mind ^_^
Our notes are about the same depth as Hamilton science, if that helps at all :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Suzi.Letham
Well I have the nab at the end of next week- so I'll tell you then how difficult it was :smile:

How did your NAB go :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by CSM1996
How did your NAB go :tongue:

Okay. But I havent found out my mark yet. The pass mark is higher than fifty percent by the way and some of the quenstions were a wee bit tricky so im a but worried. Also, we got to to questions out of a nab that we werent doing the next day- it was significantly easier than the nab we got that was our actual one XD
Reply 8
Bit worried * sorry xD
Reply 9
Original post by Koalabearish
Our notes are about the same depth as Hamilton science, if that helps at all :smile:

Thanks... :smile: that means i need to go through the rest in more detail then xD what is with the really in depth note on cystic fibrosis on the hamilton science site? We have never done a case study like that
Reply 10
Okay. But I havent found out my mark yet. The pass mark is higher than fifty percent by the way and some of the quenstions were a wee bit tricky so im a but worried. Also, we got to to questions out of a nab that we werent doing the next day- it was significantly easier than the nab we got that was our actual one XD

Yeah our teacher says you need 26/40 for a pass, I thought they may have lowered it from higher because it was harder... alas not. I have it on Thursday and I'm really worried haha, if I fail I get a resit at least so it's not so bad :tongue:
Reply 11
Hey guys xD Sorry I never got back to you all- I passed my nab by the way XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Got my prelim today :/ not looking forward to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Got my prelim today :/ not looking forward to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! I have my unit 2 NAB then my prelim on the 12th :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by CSM1996
Good luck! I have my unit 2 NAB then my prelim on the 12th :tongue:

Hope everything goes well for you :smile: Managed to juuust get a B in my prelim. Im pretty chuffed with it considering I thought I'd failed. xD
Reply 15
Hope everything goes well for you :smile: Managed to juuust get a B in my prelim. Im pretty chuffed with it considering I thought I'd failed. xD

I think I'm dropping it because I got my first choice unconditional from uni and I can't be bothered to do the project :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by CSM1996
I think I'm dropping it because I got my first choice unconditional from uni and I can't be bothered to do the project :tongue:

Well done! Haha, fair enough. I've thought about doing that with my adv.highers but I might try and keep going for the experience and all that xD
Also- I hope you dont mind me asking what your first choice uni is? (I ask because I noticed you have been on the St.Andrews thread. Its my first choice so I've been watching that thread like a Hawk, hence why I've noticed you xD)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Well done! Haha, fair enough. I've thought about doing that with my adv.highers but I might try and keep going for the experience and all that xD
Also- I hope you dont mind me asking what your first choice uni is? (I ask because I noticed you have been on the St.Andrews thread. Its my first choice so I've been watching that thread like a Hawk, hence why I've noticed you xD)

Glasgow is my first choice, but ofc it would be lovely to be accepted into St Andrews but I am not expecting to :tongue: What have you applied to do at uni and which unis :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by CSM1996
Glasgow is my first choice, but ofc it would be lovely to be accepted into St Andrews but I am not expecting to :tongue: What have you applied to do at uni and which unis :tongue:

Ah I see! Well done- I'm still waiting to hear from Glasgow myself xD To be honest, I'm not really expecting to be accepted into St.Andrews either but a girl can dream ^_^ I've applied to do Cell Biology at all five of my choices- St.Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and Heriot-Watt (I have an unconditional from Heriot-Watt so far ^_^ ) What about yourself?
Reply 19
Ah I see! Well done- I'm still waiting to hear from Glasgow myself xD To be honest, I'm not really expecting to be accepted into St.Andrews either but a girl can dream ^_^ I've applied to do Cell Biology at all five of my choices- St.Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and Heriot-Watt (I have an unconditional from Heriot-Watt so far ^_^ ) What about yourself?

Congrats on your unconditional! I have applied to x2 Glasgow, Strathclyde, St Andrews and Edinburgh. Got an unconditional for both Glasgow courses and Strathclyde :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending