The Student Room Group

[POLL] If a homeless guy asked you for money, what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by majmuh24
What facts are you talking about? You have made numerous references to them, yet not given a single source that backs your claims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ons stats. Plus recently there was a good economist article about it.
As I said, no one in this country should be homeless so why are these people? DRUUUUUUGS.
I usually give them money.I figure no matter how bad my life is it's better than their life.I just give a small amount of money.money I wouldn't miss.
Reply 202
Original post by Beckyweck
One of my friends is a social worker and she said that in this country there's no need to be homeless unless you make yourself. So no, I don't give them money. Not that I have any to give, I barely make ends meet as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must be true then if your friend said :rolleyes:
I would say that I don't have any money on me. I won't be guilt tripped in giving away my money. I don't have enough it for myself. Nevermind giving it away.
I generally ignore anyone who approaches me on the street. Vagrants are automatically blanked out.

I definitely won't be giving them any money as essentially that is preventing them from getting the help they need.
Original post by Bridget Jones

I would give him my Qoran and help him find Allah :smile:
I have bought homeless people food before and also given them money; I have always regretted the latter. I've done a lot of volunteering with the homeless and with substance a users, my current job involves quite a lot of contact with them and I think in the majority of cases it's just used to fund their addiction. I don't have a moral problem with addiction, but I'd rather not enable it.

OP if you feel guilty about not giving the gentleman money why not donate some to a homeless charity?
Original post by geoking
ons stats. Plus recently there was a good economist article about it.
As I said, no one in this country should be homeless so why are these people? DRUUUUUUGS.

Can you provide a link to these figures?
My concern is that he'll just spend it on drugs and booze.
Reply 209
Can you provide a link to these figures?

Life, bro, life.
unconfirmed-reports-01-1024.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Usually, "No, sorry".
I would'nt, infact I dont give money to homeless people.
I will go and buy them a sandwich or hot drink or something like that, because I wouldnt like to think I was contributing to any alcohol or drug use.

Last christmas a friend and myself had a few tins of celebrations left over, so we went into town on boxing day to a car park where a lot of homeless people in our city gather, we gave out the boxes of celebrations along with some other stuff. We bought some gloves and drinks from the 99p shop, bought some hot food from greggs and distributed that.
Two of the guys where actually in tears and said it had been the nicest and most generous thing any stranger had done. Especially at that time of year, they offered us a couple of their cans of special brew which we didnt accept, but we did stay with them for a couple hours talking and getting to know their stories.
I openly told them why I didnt give money to the homeless but had no reservations in buying them a burger or sandwich or something of the like.
Most understood my views a couple of course did disagree, but in all we made their day and it cost us very little. A little really can go a long way :smile:
Original post by geoking
Life, bro, life.
unconfirmed-reports-01-1024.jpg

Sounds more like BS to me.
It's interesting when I think about my own behaviour. I never give homeless people money, I sometimes give them a beer or food or something if I've got some on me but I don't really give away much money. But when someone who isn't homeless is in need I'm willing to step up and pay them for a train ticket, or give that extra bit of money if they are at a checkout and short at the supermarket. From time to time I buy friends drinks without really expecting a return (though it normally happens).

It may make me sound like a bad person but I just don't feel the same need to help homeless people as I do with others. I don't know if it's because I can't empathise with them and I'm sure they do suffer constantly but I just get the feeling that the money I give just isn't appreciated, that it's a means to get a fix.
Reply 214
Sounds more like BS to me.

You mean like being homeless in a country which gives you a free house and money?
Reply 215
An interesting read.

What is this automatic right to free housing from the government that a few mention? Not true - local authorities have a legal duty to conduct an assessment when they believe that the presenting individual may be homeless, but only have to provide accommodation if said person is vulnerable/deemed in "priority need" - as well as meeting other requirements as stated in the Homelessness Act.

That said - the often used "I need 20 quid for my hostel tonight" is 99.9% of the time a ruse. (I don't say 100% as perhaps someone is due to be evicted due to IC arrears, but in my experience, if these have reached the point where an NTQ has been issued, the person is unlikely to go out begging just to raise the money).

I opted for "other" in the poll. In many places, (Cities, can't speak for rural areas), there are services available to assist people who are rough sleeping; have dependency issues etc but it can often take a lot of motivation and/or desperation to go through the whole process of working with these support agencies towards a recovery.
If somebody is being helped out by well-meaning members of the public through financial gifts, then it makes it easier to stay 'stuck' in that lifestyle.
I think what people don't already realise, is that people can make a lot of money from begging (again, in cities). In London I have known folk to be given on average £80 per day (sometimes much more), and that's on top of food and clothes. Support agencies have a real battle when trying to engage with clients who are successfully begging - how can they compete with that? It's an overused cliché, often quoted in 12-step contexts (of which I'm not a fan) but "rock bottom" is sometimes the best motivator for accepting help - it'll take much longer to want to change your situation if you are being financially rewarded to stay doing what you're doing by begging.

Also, not everyone who is begging is actually street homeless (they may have been at one time, may be in hostels, with friends etc - but not necessarily rough sleeping).

Despite all I've said, to be in a position where you feel you have to beg is a desperate and soul destroying place to be. If you genuinely want to help folk who say they are homeless, instead of money - why not direct them to services that in in your local area for help. Providing someone with information is sometimes the best form of help you can give!

If you're concerned about a rough sleeper/want to report someone being street homeless, you can contact
Street Link and they will inform Outreach Teams which cover that locality.

Day Centres for housing advice and free food can be found by using the search engine on
Homeless Uk

Sources: no statistics to throw at you - just anecdotal evidence from my work with homeless men and women (with drug dependencies and mental health issues) for 10 years (and my personal 4 year history of rough sleeping).

Cal :smile:

Original post by geoking
You mean like being homeless in a country which gives you a free house and money?
Well clearly, it does happen.
Reply 217
Well clearly, it does happen.

And I'm asking why?
Oh right, because if you break the law, you get kicked out.
Tell him I owe Wonga £450, so technically I have less money than he has at that point.

If I have change to spare, i'd give it him. I'm only gonna spend my money (small change) on some stupid **** I don't need anyway.
Also just a point, those who say they'll ignore him, pretend not to hear. I understand it can make you awkward, you don't want to be bothered. But it's such a horrible thing to do.

He'll be getting called names, ignored, treated as sub-human all day. You can at least give a quick smile, polite nod, it doesn't have to be verbal. Just an acknowledgement.

Quick Reply

Latest