The Student Room Group

Top GCSE grades for only top pupils - what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean 'will only be available to top students'? How do they pick out these top students?
Original post by SoggyTractor
What do you mean 'will only be available to top students'? How do they pick out these top students?

There are these things called exams.
Reply 22
What is going on with marking this week! GCSE grades are going crazy, lecturers are refusing to grade exams and coursework this April! I don't know which one to get more angry about! haha
Original post by PythianLegume
There are these things called exams.

Ok so the thread-starter means that the least intelligent won't be able to reach the top grades because they're the least intelligent, not because they're segregated? Isn't that how it works now? What's different?
Reply 24
Sometimes it feels like they're just trying to make it harder for student's. I'm glad I avoided this.
Ok so the thread-starter means that the least intelligent won't be able to reach the top grades because they're the least intelligent, not because they're segregated? Isn't that how it works now? What's different?

Well obviously. The only difference is that the proposed system has a higher grade than the current A*.
The wording of this thread title/header should be changed. The new '9' grade will be a true mark of distinction, allowing the best and brightest to be truly rewarded - like they are at the current A2 levels, where A*s are very hard to obtain. Students may even be more encouraged to do better, seeing as there's more differentiation and therefore more competition among them.
The wording of this thread title/header should be changed. The new '9' grade will be a true mark of distinction, allowing the best and brightest to be truly rewarded - like they are at the current A2 levels, where A*s are very hard to obtain. Students may even be more encouraged to do better, seeing as there's more differentiation and therefore more competition among them.

So you want the top grades to only go to the top pupils? :tongue:
Unfair so daddy's little princess at private school and extra tuition get everything and get grades and those in public schools with kids that scream and shout and fight get sweet FA it's out of order

Original post by Sloppy Jumpers
The biggest announcement of the day so far is the planned grading system for the new GCSEs. (Have a look here: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26854297).

Scrapping the A*-E system, grades will now be ranked by numbers - with 9 being the highest grade, and 1 being the lowest. For the first time, the English system will be in line with the international systems.

But, the top grade (A*/9) will now only be available to a precious few - 20,000 students! This has never happened before in England!

What do you think about these measures? Is it fair that only a few students will be able to get the top grade? Will the new GCSEs be better or worse than the current GCSEs?

Want to hear your thoughts!

Sloppy J. :smile:
My point exactly kids that don't give a crap and yet those that do can't get the grades because the teacher has a melt down its unfair
Original post by Damask-
Of course it's fair, in the same was as it's fair that not everyone was (supposedly) able to get an A* or A at GCSE. If everyone were able then it would lose its value straight away. People don't want to be told that they or their children are not going to get the top grade, but not everyone can be in the 95th percentile - that's the point of it.

Personally I think the new GCSE system is going to cause more problems than it solves and I think we'd have been better off adopting a GPA system so it's a more continuous scale, but I see absolutely no problem in giving the best grades to the best students and helping them stand out. It can be hard to stay motivated when constantly surrounded by a group of people who don't recognise the value of the education they're receiving and would rather not be there.
Original post by vickie89uk
Unfair so daddy's little princess at private school and extra tuition get everything and get grades and those in public schools with kids that scream and shout and fight get sweet FA it's out of order

It's hardly the fault of the exam system that this happens. The solution is not to scrap a meritocratic system, it's to make sure that everyone has equal opportunities to succeed in this system.
Interestingly enough, I have heard from family's past education experiences that you can/could only get the top grade (a 5) in Russia by getting full marks. Even just one mark off and you're landed with the equivalent of a B. Harsh.

Maybe Gove is trying too hard to make the education system like the East?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
I don't see the point in changing the grading system.

Setting a cap on top grades for only 20,000 students is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. You can't determine who is worthy of an A*/1 grade based on how many other people have achieved one! You base it on the quality of the work in front of you.

Michael Gove is worryingly stupid, he needs to. Massive w***er
Medicine
He only said A*A*A. This is the standard for all science courses at Cambridge now, and has been known to be given out by Imperial for various courses, Manchester for Physics, and probably a few others. 3A*s does happen occasionally for these same courses.
Maybe kids that don't give a crap should be put it a tent in the garden so those that do can learn this is why I fell short of c grades I missed by 1 2 marks in English 5 marks in maths and 8 marks in science which I could have made up with my coursework if people had a bit of respect I had to resit and that really pissed me off and that's not my fault we ended up with supply teachers because my teacher had a nervous breakdown hardly a wonder why people smashing windows punching people screaming chucking food everywhere throwing coke so peoples books got sticky that's hardly my fault but I still did crap I got A* in my resits goes to show huh
It's hardly the fault of the exam system that this happens. The solution is not to scrap a meritocratic system, it's to make sure that everyone has equal opportunities to succeed in this system.
Original post by andrew2209
I wouldn't be surprised if people appealed if they're one mark off, especially in subjects such as English, where it can be hard to accurately mark something. Also, if these "9" grades become sacred, then it would put pressure on schools to get as many as they want, to boost their "league table" position.

To be honest, I just think GCSE exams are becoming more about learning a syllabus than actually understanding the subject at times.

I definitely think so. It has been like that for a long time, I believe! If tutors are more worried about getting students through exams, students will inevitably think about examinations rather than the essence of study itself... do people agree?
I hate the grading system, the numbering system and GCSEs as a whole.It's overrated and teenagers(being one myself) willl agree that's there's too much pressure implemented on us.
Medicine

Medicine doesn't require A*A*A. The rigorous admissions process (UKCAT/BMAT/interview/scrutiny of PS etc.) makes up for its -comparatively- low grade requirements (A*AA max).

As someone said above, don't blame the new system, blame the social stratification.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
I don't see the point in changing the grading system.

Setting a cap on top grades for only 20,000 students is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. You can't determine who is worthy of an A*/1 grade based on how many other people have achieved one! You base it on the quality of the work in front of you.

Michael Gove is worryingly stupid, he needs to. Massive w***er

Look at Nulli Tertius' post - there is not a cap of 20,000. That's simply the predicted number who will achieve this grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending