The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Girls will have you believe that compliments and flowers are the way to go, but give it a try and see how far you get.
Original post by Anonymous Coward
Okay, well every other day we have a new "How to attract women", "How to get a girlfriend" thread.

We do occasionally get these thread from women about men, but the fact is - men feel (rightly or wrongly) that it's much easier for women and that they hold all the cards.

When such threads pop, up you'll have guys who'll state things like:
"Don't compliment women, until such and such a time..."
"Don't do X,Y & Z on the first date."
"Don't say X, Y & Z until such and such a time"

Whereas the girls will immediately state that the above advice is nonsense, a guy should just 'be himself', and 'no formula works for all girls.'

My question is - Is this really the case?
Obviously nothing will ever work for every person on earth, but does doing certain things (even things girls claim they hate) increase your chances?

Do most women (and men, but like I said it's a problem men feel more) actually truly desire what they say they do, in your experience?

I ask this because I was hanging out with a friend of mine, who I hadn't seen since college, and he said he's had an epiphany since university, and that he no longer (or very very rarely) compliments women he's interesting in on their appearance, which has resulted in him becoming 'successful' with the ladies. He isn't rude to them or anything. Just simply doesn't compliment them on their appearance.

Obviously most women would claim they'd never like that. But his theory is that women hear it all the time, and by not complimenting them (even if they compliment him) they become more interested.

So do we (both men and women) actually know what we want?

Inb4 - 'The type of woman that doesn't like compliments isn't worth it, or whatever.'

Well I was actually discussing this with my boyfriend of 15 months yesterday. And saying how many girls seem to go for the horrible "players" but I for one am only ever attracted to the nice guys. I always thought something was wrong with me!

Not sure how true this is but I heard that girls who search out "players" are subconsciously not looking for a serious long term relationship...:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
Girls will have you believe that compliments and flowers are the way to go, but give it a try and see how far you get.

This is what I mean. Can't blame girls for saying it's what they want - It makes logical sense, after all, that a girl would like compliments and flowers, but it actually appears that the logical behaviour (people like being complimented and given gifts) is better off being done without.

My post is less about the women. But more about -

How much are we actually even aware of what makes us more attracted to a person?

How come the people we say are 'bad for us' are constantly the ones we become attracted to? Logically it makes sense to find the people we say we're after.

Is 'treat them mean; keep them keen' (for example) founded on truth? Most girls would say no, but many guys will tell you it got them further.
I personally prefer guys I can chill and just be mates with first. It makes it weird if the guy lets me know immediately that he's into me. It puts me off guys who immediately try to chat me up, rather than just talking to me like a normal human being :tongue:.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Personally, I'd want you to be yourself. That way, I know from the beginning whether or not I'm really attracted to you. Wouldn't want to be in a relationship with the wrong idea of someone.

I think all women do. Not "being yourself" only works if the girl doesn't realise. I've never heard anyone say they like people not being themselves.

Having said that, if I'm naturally quite selfish, shouldn't I try to change that? Or rude, or arrogant?

In any case, the OP's friend is right. You compliment your girlfriend on her looks- this is when she's your girlfriend, not before. Complimenting on looks generally comes across as full on and desperate. If she's a fit girl, she's sick of people being all over her. You need to show you're above all those losers she's rejected, make her want you. No girl ever gets with a guy just because he really really wants to- she does it because he wants to.

Use compliments lightly, and not based on looks. If she makes a funny comment, say so, if she has a cool interest, tell her that, if you dig her style, say so. But fake compliments are likely to be sussed and make you look bad.
Reply 25
I'm not going to get into the whole "what do women really want" cluster****, but I will say this:

Women are generally horrible judges of men, and men are generally horrible judges of women. its not that women like dating arse holes and men like dating psycho bitches, its just that we're all so easily distracted by physical attraction we don't even notice.

I've seen loads of female friends date guys who I could see the moment I met them were complete dicks, only for them to find out 2 months later... that they were compete dicks.

and the exact same thing happens the other way around. Guys date women who are completely mental, break up with them after 2 months, and every woman says "I told you she was nuts".
Reply 26
Original post by Orthonym
Haha! so you agree with us really then? Have you had experiences that made you feel like girls don't pick guys for the right reasons?

I don't think that there's any such thing as the wrong reasons. It's just that research shows that people assume that certain faces are clever, hospitable, ambitious, confident, and healthy, and other faces are assumed to be unhealthy, unclean, unfriendly and stupid, even though there is no link between facial structure and personality/health (as far as I know). But people still assume that there is. So we are judged on the basis of our face, even when there is no justification for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by brownbearxo
I hate compliments about how I look, well excessive ones, so yes.

ditto.
nice rack btw:colone:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
ditto.
nice rack btw:colone:

Liar. I has no boobs. No boobs at all!
Reply 29
I hate compliments about how I look, well excessive ones, so yes.

You too?

I genuinely don't know how to react... I feel like if I say thank you, i'm essentially saying the compliment too. But I rarely agree with any compliments I get about my appearance. But I don't like to reciprocate a compliment I don't mean as it comes across SO fake.
Liar. I has no boobs. No boobs at all!

boobies unless proven otherwise im afraid.
#admiringtheview
Reply 31
My boyfriend didn't give me any compliments until 3/4 months into our relationship and it didn't bother me. Thinking about it now, if he'd given me lots of compliments in the getting to know each other stages I may have found it a bit desperate...instead I got to just talk to him like a normal person, with him being completely himself and that worked out pretty well :redface:.
Original post by Ggmu!
You too?

I genuinely don't know how to react... I feel like if I say thank you, i'm essentially saying the compliment too. But I rarely agree with any compliments I get about my appearance. But I don't like to reciprocate a compliment I don't mean as it comes across SO fake.

Lol, just do what I do, just mirror the conpliment. If someone tells you you have a nice arse, say "thank you, so do you!" Youll soon notice that old ladies stop complementing your arse :wink:

Original post by trustmeimlying1
boobies unless proven otherwise im afraid.
#admiringtheview

Lolol, okay. Your rack is pretty hot too :colone:
Reply 33
Lol, just do what I do, just mirror the conpliment. If someone tells you you have a nice arse, say "thank you, so do you!" Youll soon notice that old ladies stop complementing your arse :wink:

It's a bit hard if they say something specific lol, like 'nice jacket' and they're wearing some POS.

Loooool i've yet to get a compliment on my arse. Not that I want one, I don't think I do.

Lolol, okay. Your rack is pretty hot too :colone:

bout time yeh noticed:O....
Original post by Ggmu!
You too?

That's why you say thank you :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by yo radical one
That's why you say thank you :smile:

It seems simple. If only you could imagine my mind when I get a compliment lol... I'm really only talking about physical appearance.

I know i'm a goddamn genius, so compliments mean nothing there.
Reply 37
Original post by Jebedee

Well, you're not going to get very far if all you do is throw gifts and compliments at them. They're nice (to receive and to give) once in a while, but not if that's all the relationship consists of. It quickly gets weird, believe me.
Reply 38
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
Girls who say just be yourself are lying. Girls love bad boys because they're girls and lack maturity.

Women want men. Women know what they want because they're mature enough to know a decent guy who may not be as attractive is a better potential partner than an attractive guy who's an arse and treats them bad.

The same could be said of boys and men. That stage of maturity is vital. Its when you grow up and realise what really matters.

Couldn't say it better myself.
Reply 39
"be yourself" generally works, unless you know you're a prick*. If you're a decent person "being yourself", and are comfortable and confident in yourself you will be attractive to someone ,maybe not with the girl/guy you're currently interested in, but that's life. If you decide not to be yourself and find someone long term you could get into issues when they find out you're not who they thought you were.

As with the compliments thing I don't really know what your friend expected when he dished them out? I mean compliments are nice and all but they won't make someone interested in you. When I get a compliment I say "thank you" and move on. Rather than "thank you, here let me suck your dick." But it's like people expect a reaction closer to the latter which is silly to me XD

*hell it can still work if you're a prick
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending