The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1
While Oxford's just building a *huge* new Islamic studies centre, degrees in Islamic Finance won't be offered. You'd have to do two masters to study both, one in finance, and one in Islam.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
islamic finance is the basis of financial structure of countries that do not only have a muslim population but also run my islamic governments. so the application areas are very limited, and i do not see it going beyond the argument that interest is unacceptable in Islam, which would result in the collapse of banking system if taken seriously world wide :smile:

So, lets go back to your question. in order to specialize on that subject, and enlighten devoted muslims with your research, you will have to do a phd after gaining extensive knowledge in both islam and finance. and it would be easier to do it in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia than UK.
Reply 3
have you looked at SOAS?
Reply 4
drmoney89
have you looked at SOAS?

Good point - they might just offer a course that's similar to what you want to study, and SOAS is a fantastic school right at the centre of arguably "the world's capital". Good luck, regardless.
Reply 5
No i havent looked at SOAS but thanks for mentioning. Is SOAS respected as a more niche university (just liek the courtald institute is for art)?
Reply 6
"One other option for those who want to study this subject in the UK is to do one of the standard finance courses that offers a module on Islamic finance - the course operated by SOAS in London is probably the best-known provider of such a course."

Ref:
http://www.islamic-foundation.org.uk/articles/guardianNewspaper-IMB.htm

Soas is the right address
Reply 7
SOAS is a very respected university period... (especially in middle eastern studies, politics, islam, international relations etc...)
Cambridge have a centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies.

http://www.cmeis.cam.ac.uk/
Reply 9
Exeter have an important facility too. I think you might find funding there for your studies. Im sure a rich prince has donated millions of pounds for research.

http://www.huss.ex.ac.uk/iais/undergrad/index.htm

follow the links for postgraduate courses and scholarships. I think some very influencial islamics studied at exeter in the past and now have given money for a research centre there.
I think an awful lot of universities have MEIS departments funded by wealthy princes - certainly Durham does in addition to the two listed.
Reply 11
Ozziee
SOAS is a very respected university period... (especially in middle eastern studies, politics, islam, international relations etc...)

just wanna second that. if you ask me, its reputation is very underrated.
Maybe on here it is, but in reality, it's very well respected.
Reply 13
Platocrates

precisely
Reply 14
Platocrates

More so for postgrad though.
Well it depends what you want to do at undergrad.

Latest

Trending

Trending