The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by folashade
As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Before there is any misunderstanding this is just an epq project that I am conducting. I am of dual ethnicity; half Nigerian and half Jamaican. I would like to know what your views are. I do not like when Jamaicans and African countries fight each other. I feel it is not right because in my eye we are all brothers and sisters.

But why do we fight?

It is believed some Jamaican people do not like being called “Africans”: they become upset by this.
I do not mind as we are all Africans in the end.

Prior to the arrival of Columbus in 1494, Jamaica was inhabited by Arawaks, living in simple communities based on fishing, hunting, and small scale cultivation of cassava.

Spanish was traumatic, and these communities disappeared in 70-80 years. After a brief period of experimenting with indentured European labor, the British turned to large scale importation of Africans to be used as slaves on the sugar plantations.

They believe that the first generation of Jamaicans were Spaniards and Arawaks right? And that the British brought African slaves to Jamaica (who were called Hispaniola at that time ) just to work on their plantations. SO………….us Jamaicans just adapted to the country.

I would like to know…..
What your views are on this….leave your comments at the bottom of this post.
So I just want to know As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Leave your comments and say why
THANK YOU!!!!
:smile:

Jamaica was never called Hispaniola. The combination of Haiti and Dominican Republic together is called Hispaniola.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
hmm . Get what you are saying but i don't agree with you 100percent .
For instance i was born here but i am african .
I know for a fact that dave from essex aint seeing my black ass as english and i don't expect them to.

And neither do i.
Even the way i get asked by people "what country are you from" even when i am speaking better english than them .

Dude, all she is trying to say is that anyone born in Jamaica is Jamaican. The Tainos (aka Arawaks) were the Amerindians (aka Native Americans) that were native to Jamaica. Europeans then the Africans and Asians came after them.
Reply 122
I'm very late on this topic but since I am a Jamaican I thought I'd comment. I don't consider myself African but I am from African descent and I am black, even though I am fair skinned or brown or whatever the politically correct term is nowadays. The problem with calling Jamaicans Africans is that we think being African is a cultural thing. As in people from Africa have certain cultures and rituals that are not part of the Jamaican culture. So from a cultural standpoint I would hate being called African because I know little about their present culture. A lot of Jamaican culture might have stemmed from African culture because of slave trade etc etc but we are a distinct culture. So African descent yes, African, no.
Of course i am african . Dont get me wrong i am caribbean as well but my ancestors,my blood,my people were west african for THOUSANDS of years . That **** is in my veins . ...
Original post by theoferdinand
Of course i am african . Dont get me wrong i am caribbean as well but my ancestors,my blood,my people were west african for THOUSANDS of years . That **** is in my veins . ...

If you go far enough back, we are all descendents of Africans. I am guessing this thread is in relation to a cut off point closer to when people were transported to the Americas from Africa, sort of time range as in past heritage.
This is such nonsensical bull****. I am proud to be black. I love my race, I love my culture, however, that is not to say that I believe those of other races are inferior. Quite frankly I'm insulted by what you have said. It simply means that I am satisfied with the race that I am. I do not presume to know what you have gone through as a person of mixed heritage, but I cannot understand how you have come to the conclusion that it is acceptable to imply that deriving satisfaction and pleasure from being a certain race somehow makes you a supremacist. Have you taken the time to ask those who do feel proud about their thoughts on other races? Have you taken the time to examine the lives that they lead? I am proud my little brother did well in his mocks, but I don't believe he is better than anyone else's because of it.

So leave the girl alone. Your issue is your own, just because you do not feel like a race is something to be proud of does not mean that everyone will feel the same. You're just being unnecessarily antagonistic. Who is ready to jump on a person for being proud but does not see fit to comment on the constant "yea mons"? As if no one who comes from the Island takes the time to speak in English? I think the ignorant stereotypes are a far more pressing issue and even they do not warrant another speech from you.

In answer to the original question:

I identify as being Jamaican more than British simply because Jamaica feels like home. I don't think of myself as being African because my culture is so different having been separated by hundreds of years and an Ocean. However, I think you'll find as you ask the question more that although a lot of black Caribbean people do not consider themselves African they will readily tell you they are of African descent.

Also as I think someone has already mentioned there is a significant percentage of Jamaican people who are not primarily of African descent. :smile: Our motto is: Out of many one people. I feel a little like to outright say we are African would be to reject those Jamaicans who are not black and have the same culture as us just because of their skin colour.
Dont agree with this at all tbh .
They are NOT jamaican .
A white man born in china will never be considered chinese so why can they be considered jamaican ?

This is beyond stupid. There are White Caribbeans who have been there for longer than black Caribbeans have.

Those of Indian and Chinese heritage are descendants of indentured workers who arrived in the 1800's.

It is not a case of simply one generation as your example is.
Reply 127
They are NOT jamaican .
A white man born in china will never be considered chinese so why can they be considered jamaican ?

Blacks are not true Jamaicans either.

The Arawak and Taino people are.

Blacks are not indigenous to Jamaica, nor did they create/colonize it.
Original post by vendettax

Neither are they. They came from South America.
Reply 129
They are NOT jamaican .

not every Jamaican is black therefore how could they be African?

(Africa is a continent so is hardly something black Jamaicans can embrace maybe it would be different if they knew what actual country they descent from rather than just a continent that carry's many races that lay in north Africa, east Africa and west Africa e.t.c)

for e.g. to really be from a country should that not determine your culture?? i know of indo Caribbeans for e.g that see them self as Indians and some that don't because living in britain there is a big difference in culture of those whose family come from india and and india only and those who come from guyana and trinidad and e.t.c

the same is with black Caribbeans. some identify as africans and some just dont. it all realy depends on the individual and no one should be able to tell an individual what their nationality is.

i disagree with the white chinese stament. as there are white Jamaicans born and bread in Jamaica that are 100% just as Jamaican as i am or even possible more Jamaican than me who was not born in Jamaica or raised there.

also just to add Jamaica is not the only country in the Caribbean there are plenty more.

Correct me if im wrong but aren't the arawaks and tainos extinct?
exactly some africans cant stand jamaicans, i am a teenager growing up in london im 16 and i know exactly what goes on with the rivalry. Africans do not like Jamaicans be cause we refuse to say we are african & apparently both parts clash. Jamaicans retaliate to this by no like cirtain africans back ( Nigerians are mostly the reason for the arguments) so as i grow i notice that some Nigerians will cuss jamaians saying our music is dirty we disown our roots blah blah blah, but they still listen to our music and follow jamaican culture. Most jamaicans are probably african but at the end of the damn day when i have to fill out a form im ticking black british caribbean not black british african. Jamaica is a separate country we dont need to say we are african and africans don't need to go out of their way to preach to jamaicans and say we are african. its so annoying because jamaica is a very diverse island and there are many many mixes. It honestly is not a big deal

wow. It is a country they have all right to class themselves as Jamaican. Who are you to say they cant.
Original post by stindie
not every Jamaican is black therefore how could they be African?

(Africa is a continent so is hardly something black Jamaicans can embrace maybe it would be different if they knew what actual country they descent from rather than just a continent that carry's many races that lay in north Africa, east Africa and west Africa e.t.c)

for e.g. to really be from a country should that not determine your culture?? i know of indo Caribbeans for e.g that see them self as Indians and some that don't because living in britain there is a big difference in culture of those whose family come from india and and india only and those who come from guyana and trinidad and e.t.c

the same is with black Caribbeans. some identify as africans and some just dont. it all realy depends on the individual and no one should be able to tell an individual what their nationality is.

i disagree with the white chinese stament. as there are white Jamaicans born and bread in Jamaica that are 100% just as Jamaican as i am or even possible more Jamaican than me who was not born in Jamaica or raised there.

also just to add Jamaica is not the only country in the Caribbean there are plenty more.

I really agree with you, why do they make it such a big deal, africans were not the only people sent to jamaica, Indians, Chinese, Spanish all kinds why do you think the culture is so diverse. The food eg (Curry goat - jamaican take on an indian dish, Dumplings - Jamamican take on chinese dumpling, Rice and peas - Jamaican take on spanish rice and beans). No one should be shunned upon because their ancestors thousands of years ago could've of been african but they choose not to say it.
Original post by A.Hastings
Maybe some of my ancestors ages ago were African, BUT I am NOT African. I am British Caribbean (Jamaican). Nowadays, Africans and people from the Caribbean including Jamaica are completely different, culture wise. Therefore, I would not say we are the same, no.

i 100% agree.
Original post by Ebuwa
How are africans supposed to look? Your analogy is rubbish- it wasn't one big 'country' there were many kingdoms

I think that person means because our cultures are soooooo different for example most african countries wear special african attire and they will wear it to celebrations or anywhere they feel. However jamaicans do not and what we wear has a lot to do with our appearance but ultimately i understand, we cant depict someones race by their looks although some people they can see clear differences. I can sometimes but its not really a good thing to judge someone on.
Reply 136
Original post by davitaaaaaaaaaaa
I really agree with you, why do they make it such a big deal, africans were not the only people sent to jamaica, Indians, Chinese, Spanish all kinds why do you think the culture is so diverse. The food eg (Curry goat - jamaican take on an indian dish, Dumplings - Jamamican take on chinese dumpling, Rice and peas - Jamaican take on spanish rice and beans). No one should be shunned upon because their ancestors thousands of years ago could've of been african but they choose not to say it.

Rice and peas is actually linked to Ghanaian cuisine not Spanish. Look up Waakye. Everyone knows that Jamaica is a diverse place. Yes Africans were not the only ones sent to Jamaica but the majority of Jamaicans are black with African ancestry(amongst others) so the forced migration of African people to Jamaica is extremely important.

Er your last sentence does not make sense. ''Could have been' if they are black Jamaican their ancestors were of African descent. I'm not denying that some black Jamaicans are mixed but it says a lot when people are happy to boast about they have 'Indian' blood etc. but refuse to acknowledge that they also have African ancestry.

There are some similarities with Jamaican and west African culture.

Original post by davitaaaaaaaaaaa
I think that person means because our cultures are soooooo different for example most african countries wear special african attire and they will wear it to celebrations or anywhere they feel. However jamaicans do not and what we wear has a lot to do with our appearance but ultimately i understand, we cant depict someones race by their looks although some people they can see clear differences. I can sometimes but its not really a good thing to judge someone on.

What you wear has a lot to do with your appreance? Isn't that the same all over the world?
Why do you think Jamaica has no 'special attire'?
Reply 137
1.........Afrika is huge & the most diverse continent ever. You will find a person that looks like someone where, anywhere in Afrika. There are millions of dark skin, light skin or brown skin ( no mixing of races just naturally light skin) & then half castes. All complexions are in afrika with different eye colours & hair. Different shape nose & lips. You also have the oldest peoples of Afrika (khoi san) They are not mixed with any other race but they have very light skin also some of them as light as a mixed black&white person. Mandela is very light skin but he full afrikan. South Africa has more light or brown skin than in the whole of the carribean, botswana, zimbabwe, namibia, DRC etc have more brownish to light skin people. They are totally different from the west africans nigeria, ghana, sudan, gambia etc.

2........... The only africans who claim or want jamaicans are 1- some nigerian 2- some ghanian FULL STOP........ thats only 2 countries out of 50+ in the continent. Not all ghanians or nigerians claim carribeans there prolly 5% of the popul. So dont mean to burst yo lil bubbles but the rest of Afrika wouldnt give a toss about a carribean. Honestly prolly 50% never heard of the carribean or jamaica (not bcuz they dumb but simply bcuz knowing that is not gonna put food on their tables. & of the half that knows about you 20% think the whole carribean is jamaica 10% like the music but cant stand the people. 5% claim you. 25% just dont give a toss about you, what you do or what yur all about cuz real afrikans just dont care like that...

3......... There are more carribeans & african american that claim afrika, egypt, afrikan civilisations etc than there are afrikans claiming you people. Check youtube / Internet for evidence.

4........... The small number of Africans that knows about jamaica & the carribeans knows that the carribean is mixed & not everyone is of afrikan ancestry if any at all. Black people are found in afrika only or come from afrika. These island people should stop lying to themselves. The Afrikans in the carribean know themselves & they know they Afrikan & they connected to their roots. Some of thez comments be thiz mullatto confused breeds. Besides the carribean will have no black people soon just mullatto soon & once mullato marry mullatto&whites then the carribean will soon be a white island. & yes thats how the people have evolved over the years. They just need that blackness. When its wiped out of the carribean they will be another trick to collect the blackness out of afrika. Kmt
Original post by jirgoa
1.........Afrika is huge & the most diverse continent ever. You will find a person that looks like someone where, anywhere in Afrika. There are millions of dark skin, light skin or brown skin ( no mixing of races just naturally light skin) & then half castes. All complexions are in afrika with different eye colours & hair. Different shape nose & lips. You also have the oldest peoples of Afrika (khoi san) They are not mixed with any other race but they have very light skin also some of them as light as a mixed black&white person. Mandela is very light skin but he full afrikan. South Africa has more light or brown skin than in the whole of the carribean, botswana, zimbabwe, namibia, DRC etc have more brownish to light skin people. They are totally different from the west africans nigeria, ghana, sudan, gambia etc.

2........... The only africans who claim or want jamaicans are 1- some nigerian 2- some ghanian FULL STOP........ thats only 2 countries out of 50+ in the continent. Not all ghanians or nigerians claim carribeans there prolly 5% of the popul. So dont mean to burst yo lil bubbles but the rest of Afrika wouldnt give a toss about a carribean. Honestly prolly 50% never heard of the carribean or jamaica (not bcuz they dumb but simply bcuz knowing that is not gonna put food on their tables. & of the half that knows about you 20% think the whole carribean is jamaica 10% like the music but cant stand the people. 5% claim you. 25% just dont give a toss about you, what you do or what yur all about cuz real afrikans just dont care like that...

3......... There are more carribeans & african american that claim afrika, egypt, afrikan civilisations etc than there are afrikans claiming you people. Check youtube / Internet for evidence.

4........... The small number of Africans that knows about jamaica & the carribeans knows that the carribean is mixed & not everyone is of afrikan ancestry if any at all. Black people are found in afrika only or come from afrika. These island people should stop lying to themselves. The Afrikans in the carribean know themselves & they know they Afrikan & they connected to their roots. Some of thez comments be thiz mullatto confused breeds. Besides the carribean will have no black people soon just mullatto soon & once mullato marry mullatto&whites then the carribean will soon be a white island. & yes thats how the people have evolved over the years. They just need that blackness. When its wiped out of the carribean they will be another trick to collect the blackness out of afrika. Kmt

Why don't you call it Africa
My parents are from Jamaica Biologically I know my 70% ancestry is african 30%european and Asian ,but culturally I don't want to be associated with the Africans I see here in the UK, nigerians, Ghanan's, Somalis, Kenyans, Zimbaweans, South africans are the worst they are very dishonest and lazy This is also because of the way they conduct themselves in public the behave like they think they are superior to everyone but their actions look very primitive( the way they walk and speak) and unsophisticated mannerisms. They have a facial expressions which gives the impression that they are dead inside, with flat soulless eyes which I find unnatural and sinister. As a woman I don't want African men to speak to me, they have no manners or knowledge of sexual boundaries and poor personal hygeine, they eye you up shamelessly, this is very off putting and disrespectful.
Africans act like they have no self respect around white people they want them to like them so much that they grovel to white people, it's embarrassing, why would I want to be associated with such people. I think caribbean people are more attractive and have more dignity than most africans ESP west and South Africans who will do anything for money and are expert fraudsters and liars. They think the world owes them a living and they don't want to work for it if the can get it by dishonest means or witch craft.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest