The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smile:D
I got mine on the 8th of Nov, but I think it varies; c.1 month- 2 weeks before the interview itself is standard.

Ah okay :eek:

Thanks
I got called to interview end of November I reckon.

Does anyone know if you can feasibly cook in Fitzwilliam kitchens? As in, properly? Are some kitchens better than others or is it all similar?
My school really want me to go to Cambridge, but I really didn't like it on the open day - it came across as all work, no play.

So, what's it like there? Is the high workload stressful? How easy is it to spend time with friends when you have tons of work to do and really short terms? Is it true that a degree from Cambridge makes you really employable - could I not get the same opportunities with a degree from a different Russell Group university, or just a good uni like Bath? (I want to do Philosophy, which I heard is a good degree anyway.)
Original post by cmdexe
I've got a firm place for MML at Fitz for 2015, do you reckon they'll subsidise me doing an extra language course, even though my main degree subjects are German and Russian, ie already doing languages? If so, that's pretty handy, I'll be wanting to do some French classes :smile:

Edit: looks like I will qualify, according to their website. Let's make the most of it!!

Does anyone know if the extra lessons provided by the Slavonic department (classes in Polish and Ukrainian) are any good btw? Really interested in these!

I did the MML tripos paper in Ukrainian (Uk1) last year and our language teacher also did the extra Ukrainian lessons which are open to anyone studying MML. From what I hear they are pretty good but I think the level is fairly basic (unless you have experience with slavonic languages/ already know some Ukrainian, in which case you are put in a different class.)
Original post by mwatters
Which one of the central colleges has the nicest accommodation would people say? Also does any college have particularly good sports facilities/near good facilities?

If you are looking for a central college with some of the best accommodation and good sports facilities, I would suggest Trinity or St. John's. St. John's have just redone one of their accommodation blocks and Trinity is in the process of revamping the entirety of New Court. Both have large sports fields to themselves and good sports facilities.
St John's conveniently has a gym within college, whereas Trinity's is a bit further out; it's on the sports fields, a five or ten minute walk from the main college site. By being a member of Trinity gym you automatically get free membership to the university gym on the West Cambridge site as well, though, which is a big perk.
Original post by MagicJigsaw
My school really want me to go to Cambridge, but I really didn't like it on the open day - it came across as all work, no play.

So, what's it like there? Is the high workload stressful? How easy is it to spend time with friends when you have tons of work to do and really short terms? Is it true that a degree from Cambridge makes you really employable - could I not get the same opportunities with a degree from a different Russell Group university, or just a good uni like Bath? (I want to do Philosophy, which I heard is a good degree anyway.)

Must have visited the wrong colleges. It's said that the Nat Scis only have time for rowing and one other thing and that the medics only have time to row but not in my experience, everyone else has time for the dozens of clubs and societies that are available. Take a look at the list, who do you think goes to them? In exam term the libraries get pretty busy but then everyone makes up for that in May week.

Being employable isn't just about having a degree, it's also about what work experience and internships you get. The careers service are helpful and a lot of people like to come recruiting. The lawyers dont have to buy their own lunch in year 2.

I can only speak for Economics but it certainly wasn't all work no play for me. :nah: (And I hear Philosophy is a similar workload if not less. :tongue:) There is a reasonable amount of work to do in the short terms but I liked this because it meant long holidays to relax / catch up with other friends / travel / etc. I'm now in full time work and probably doing at least 3 times the number of hours a week I would spend studying at Cambridge. Back at uni I had time to play for multiple college sports teams (badminton 1st/2nd teams, football 3rd/2nd teams, squash 2nd team), help run the informal college choir, go out and/or Formal once or twice a week on average, cook with my housemates most other evenings, attend union debates/events, watch shows at the ADC, go back home around one weekend a month, keep up with multiple American TV shows, go to the cinema / music concerts, etc. The key is to manage your workload around your uni life rather than vice-versa. :h:

I was really worried about this before I applied. This isn't true at all, even for the heavy workload subjects you can expect to go out 2-3 times a week and if you manage your work well you'll have most evenings off. Plenty of time for one or two extra-curricular commitments.

Employment-wise, I doubt you'll find it significantly easier to actually get the job with a Cambridge degree, but you'll find a lot more opportunities are available to you and you'll be more aware of your options :smile:

The atmosphere and the infrastructure is a big point. You get to study alongside the best and brightest as well has more personal teaching. The city is beautiful and there are lots of clubs, societies and services to take advantage of.

There's certainly time to play - just not as much as most other places and quite dependent on subject choice as well. Arts and humanities tend to have lighter workload (definitely less time-tabled workload) so there a lot of room to fit ECs in if you can manage your time. Even sciences and medicine will have time to do other things and go out etc. To be honest if you don't do anything but work at Cambridge you probably wouldn't have done anything but work elsewhere and vice versa.

A Cambridge degree won't guarantee you a job but it can certainly provide lots of opportunities.
Does Cambridge conduct phone/skype interviews? I'm asking this particularly in the context of international students who cannot travel across the world to Cambridge, nor are residents of the countries in which Cambridge conducts interviews. I haven't seen anything on any of the University/college websites on this matter:colondollar:. Anyone know? Thanks :smile:
Original post by notebooker
Does Cambridge conduct phone/skype interviews? I'm asking this particularly in the context of international students who cannot travel across the world to Cambridge, nor are residents of the countries in which Cambridge conducts interviews. I haven't seen anything on any of the University/college websites on this matter:colondollar:. Anyone know? Thanks :smile:

Cambridge doesn't do Skype interviews. (I don't really understand why, Oxford does!)

Edit: Googling shows that it does occasionally seem to happen, but here's an answer from a Cambridge admissions tutor
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute
Cambridge doesn't do Skype interviews. (I don't really understand why, Oxford does!)

Edit: Googling shows that it does occasionally seem to happen, but here's an answer from a Cambridge admissions tutor

Oh ok, thank you for the response!

I understand that there is an issue of identity on Skype, but still, this is quite a limiting factor for potential international candidates, as it basically means that if they can't travel to Cambridge and aren't studying in one of the countries listed, they basically have no chance .. :/

Original post by notebooker
Oh ok, thank you for the response!

I understand that there is an issue of identity on Skype, but still, this is quite a limiting factor for potential international candidates, as it basically means that if they can't travel to Cambridge and aren't studying in one of the countries listed, they basically have no chance .. :/

This could be down to individual college policy. I personally have a friend who applied to Computer Science at Trinity while studying in high school in the US, was not able to come to the UK for the interviews and was therefore pooled, and then got fished by Jesus who were fine with interviewing over the phone when Trinity was not. I don't know if the fact it was a post-pool interview made a difference, or it's because Jesus is more flexible overall, but certainly since colleges handle admissions independently it is not unimaginable that their policy regarding remote interviews would differ.

I would say contact the colleges you have shortlisted and ask if they interview remotely, and then only apply to one that is willing. It's not ideal that this should be the basis of picking a college but it's probably the best course of action.
(edited 9 years ago)

I suspect the tutors dislike them. Most of my tutors at Ox were against them and admitted they were more reluctant to take someone they interviewed over Skype than in person. Unless you've got some incredibly important reason not to attend in person, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Hi guys,

Are mature students treated any differently to normal applicants?
Is it worth getting a NUS extra card to use in Cambridge, or do most places accept the student ID? I'm not sure yet if the savings I'd supposedly get are worth the investment.

EDIT: Also, do I need a bike? I'll be at Fitz and the Selwyn site and town are meant to be about 20 and 15 minutes away by walking, according to Google. I'm not bothered by the walk, so should I bother with a bike? It doesn't help that I've not ridden since I was 11... :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
If your school is offering an EPQ but you don't do one, does that put you at a disadvantage? Would the admissions tutors take this into account?
Original post by Karoel
If your school is offering an EPQ but you don't do one, does that put you at a disadvantage? Would the admissions tutors take this into account?

No.
I'm a Japanese student who wants to enroll in cambridge university.
but I don't have much information of cambridge university.
so I want to know everything even if it's a trivial.

Now I'm thinking what to study?
I'm interested in Philosophy Course.
but I don't have the textbook and study‐aid book for a-level.
I do my best everyday, I want to do my best now and forever.
so, Please help me.
Original post by Toshiki Umezawa
I'm a Japanese student who wants to enroll in cambridge university.
but I don't have much information of cambridge university.
so I want to know everything even if it's a trivial.

Now I'm thinking what to study?
I'm interested in Philosophy Course.
but I don't have the textbook and study‐aid book for a-level.
I do my best everyday, I want to do my best now and forever.
so, Please help me.

You may want to start by reading the university's webpage for your chosen course, and figure out what qualifications you need based on your course of study in your home country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending