The Student Room Group

It's OK to call things "gay"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
I can't imagine someone with a decent upbringing using such disparaging and close-minded words out of mere habit.

You obviously don't live in the real world then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I don't see why that's a justification. Surely people were outraged at the time when the word was originally changed from gleeful to meaning homosexual. When someone says "haha that's so gay!" it has nothing to do with any sexual connotations. We're not being directly homophobic, we're just using a word in a different context. You can't stop people using the English language in the way they wish, and lets be honest... the word gay to meaning something other than your sexual preferences is well rooted in society now. The word has changed.

It doesn't matter if you're being "directly homophobic", by using the word you're directly promoting a culture of homophobia by considering gay to be bad or even taboo by way of connotation.

You seem to be implying that the word "gay" has now completely changed and is accepted as meaning bad - in fact, the word is refuted by that meaning of it by many (perhaps most) and is in no way fixed on that meaning.

Your argument gives a blatant disregard to the fact that this usage of the word only promotes homophobia which I feel is somewhat inconsiderate of you. You also seem to be asserting that I'm gay by saying "your sexual preferences" when, in fact, I haven't stated my sexuality.
Original post by Jacketh

That Bristol article is complete BS. 'Hey look I'm gay and I don't mind, so other gays who do mind are just being over the top' is the message he is sending out there. What a plonker.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious that other people are dismissing out of hand.
Original post by BBeyond
You obviously don't live in the real world then...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. People in the real world don't have any standards. :rolleyes:

There's no excuse for using it. There's a whole array of words that you can use instead; why use one that's offensive when used in the pejorative?
Original post by Jacketh
We're living in a time when being gay is fine

Thank you for providing heterosexual approval, I wouldn't want to be inconvenient or anything...

I hate it when people say stuff like this, why should it be a case of fine or not fine... we should get to a place where we don't have to have these stupid TSR debates all the god damned time. Where are the threads discussing the ethics of heteronormativity? The only way that we'll achieve any sense of equality is when homosexuality reaches a stage where it isn't a point of discussion. Tolerance should be taken for granted, just as it is with heterosexuals.
Original post by DylanJ96
It doesn't matter if you're being "directly homophobic", by using the word you're directly promoting a culture of homophobia by considering gay to be bad or even taboo by way of connotation.

You seem to be implying that the word "gay" has now completely changed and is accepted as meaning bad - in fact, the word is refuted by that meaning of it by many (perhaps most) and is in no way fixed on that meaning.

Your argument gives a blatant disregard to the fact that this usage of the word only promotes homophobia which I feel is somewhat inconsiderate of you. You also seem to be asserting that I'm gay by saying "your sexual preferences" when, in fact, I haven't stated my sexuality.

I think people need to start paying attention to your well-reasoned responses! I would say using homophobic slang out of sheer habit, as that bigoted poster suggested, is covert homophobia as opposed to the overt homophobia most rational people would condemn. That is probably the reason why they see it as a non-issue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by FireGarden
Only on tsr, huh.

There is a habit of that. Discussion of things that I've never experienced in the real world, not even once. Some people call things gay, and no one cares. Not even the gay people I know.

I really think it's a total nonissue.

This is TSR, as you pointed out, where people debate all manner of things. It's more than just the unintentional misuse of the word, it's to do with something much bigger - a culture of homophobia - and I find this anything but a nonissue.
It tends to be the scruffy state school students who call everything "gay". Those of us with a little more dignity do not act so immaturely.

I go to a private school and it's fairly common to hear it among younger people in the school. I very rarely hear it used by other people in sixth form, but when I do, I always like to say "care to explain how what you just said is homosexual?" :rolleyes:
Reply 49
It tends to be the scruffy state school students who call everything "gay". Those of us with a little more dignity do not act so immaturely.

I agree with your basic argument but, please, stop being a snob.

And those with more still refuse to reduce ourselves to classist attacks when we all know that wealth and class at a young age is predetermined. That person should be educated, not patronised.
This is TSR, as you pointed out, where people debate all manner of things. It's more than just the unintentional misuse of the word, it's to do with something much bigger - a culture of homophobia - and I find this anything but a nonissue.

Yeah... I've only seen evidence that this is not a side-effect.
Original post by colourtheory
And those with more still refuse to reduce ourselves to classist attacks when we all know that wealth and class at a young age is predetermined. That person should be educated, not patronised.

No, they should be patronised for the intolerant scum that they are. I attended a run-down state school where homophobia was rife, but I didn't become a homophobe.
I agree with your basic argument but, please, stop being a snob.

Why should I?
Reply 54
I think people need to start paying attention to your well-reasoned responses! I would say using homophobic slang out of sheer habit, as that bigoted poster suggested, is covert homophobia as opposed to the overt homophobia most rational people would condemn. That is probably the reason why they see it as a non-issue.

Thank you! But I don't agree with your apparent judgment on state schools. I went to one and the very mention of "gay" in that way provoked a bad reaction so not all state schools are like that! I do agree with your arguments completely, though.
Replace 'gay' with 'African' or 'Paki'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! But I don't agree with your apparent judgment on state schools. I went to one and the very mention of "gay" in that way provoked a bad reaction so not all state schools are like that! I do agree with your arguments completely, though.

That's nice. I wouldn't have felt self-assured without your approval.
Original post by FireGarden
Discussion of things that I've never experienced in the real world, not even once. Some people call things gay, and no one cares. Not even the gay people I know.

I really think it's a total nonissue.

The fact that the gay people you know are indifferent to hateful comments speaks volumes about the sheer level of passive homophobia that is present within our society. If I were to say "that's so black" I would be shouted down. We live in a hypocritical culture and it's ****ing disgusting. We are so careful when it comes to ethnic minorities, but the same courtesy is rarely afforded to the LGBTQ community.
Sorry but I just think that's a bad attitude. I'm not saying you need to be out there protesting against the negative use of "gay" but, I do think, you should care and be ready to tell someone they're wrong by using it if you're against homophobia.

Calling something gay does not make one a homophobic. It's not being directed at a person, unlike calling a black person the n-word. You are being melodramatic here.

We should be aiming for tolerance of all minority groups, not just nitpicking at an individual word used by certain people in a particular context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, they should be patronised for the intolerant scum that they are. I attended a run-down state school where homophobia was rife, but I didn't become a homophobe.

No, instead you became self-righteous classist. You may not be prejudice against the LGBTQ community but you're instead looking down upon the working classes. These people need to be educated and not cast aside as 'scum'. Not so long ago people thought the same thing about black people and gay people, show some respect and compassion.

Quick Reply

Latest