The Student Room Group

Why are men always downtrodden and 'henpecked'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
I think it is relevant. If I had a job that was 100x more stressful than my partner and paid 3x what my partner earned, I would be disappointed if she expected us to do 50% of the housework each.

This is what I was looking for actually; there must be a reason why the dad is behaving in such ways.
I think it is relevant. If I had a job that was 100x more stressful than my partner, I would be disappointed if she expected us to do 50% of the housework each.

True, though all I said to begin with was that my experience differed to the OP and then that other guy jumped on me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kka25
I'm not; what you posted here is completely relevant to the OP; ATM, I feel that it's unfair to criticise one partner over the other if one doesn't know the full story.

Well I think I know my family dynamic better than you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too bad you couldn't explain it better than you should; they are after all your family.
Original post by kka25
Too bad you couldn't explain it better than you should; they are after all your family.

Um, what? I don't particularly owe you an explanation of the details of my family, I don't want to go into my relationship with my father in detail with a stranger. Also it's half 2 in the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Um, what? I don't particularly owe you an explanation of the details of my family, I don't want to go into my relationship with my father in detail with a stranger. Also it's half 2 in the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ironic that you already did; if you didn't then you don't even need to post here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't know the income of each of your parents, then you are missing out on an important part of the picture though.

You see, governments in divorce split assets 50-50 and assume that if one partner earned more, then the other partner would have made up for it in housework and other chores.

Therefore, if your father does indeed earn more, then it is unfair to blame him for expecting your mother to work more.
Original post by kka25
Ironic that you already did; if you didn't then you don't even need to post here.

Why are you being so rude and mean? I honestly don't understand how I have slighted you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Why are you being so rude and mean? I honestly don't understand how I have slighted you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Not rude at all. I was pointing out something that's obvious.
Reply 29
If you don't know the income of each of your parents, then you are missing out on an important part of the picture though.

You see, governments in divorce split assets 50-50 and assume that if one partner earned more, then the other partner would have made up for it in housework and other chores.

Therefore, if your father does indeed earn more, then it is unfair to blame him for expecting your mother to work more.

This really. I don't think she sees the bigger picture.
Original post by kka25
Nope. Not rude at all. I was pointing out something that's obvious.

You were being rude

Original post by kka25
This really. I don't think she sees the bigger picture.

Yeah, I'm just stupid you see
Reply 31
You were being rude

Yeah, I'm just stupid you see

Not surprising coming from a person who's unfairly criticising her own dad on a public forum.
Original post by kka25
No surprising coming from a person who's unfairly criticising her own dad on a public forum.

So you personally know my dad do you? You know that my opinion of him is unfair? Okay :rolleyes: this may be news to you but people can have parents who are flawed.

But yeah I know I am actually stupid and a **** disappointment of a daughter so..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
So you personally know my dad do you? You know that my opinion of him is unfair? Okay :rolleyes: this may be news to you but people can have parents who are flawed.

But yeah I know I am actually stupid and a **** disappointment of a daughter so..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously you're getting way too emotional.

First you've unfairly criticised your dad and opened up your family problems in a public forum.

People asked why, probably wanting to reason with you.

You don't want to talk about it but strongly suggested that your dad is in the wrong.

People try to reason with you, but you suddenly get emotional.

Then gets all hissy fit.

Makes perfect sense.
Original post by kka25
Seriously you're getting way too emotional.

First you've unfairly criticised your dad and opened up your family problems in a public forum.

People asked why, probably wanting to reason with you.

You don't want to talk about it but strongly suggested that your dad is in the wrong.

People try to reason with you, but you suddenly get emotional.

Then gets all hissy fit.

Makes perfect sense.

Again, you assume its unfair.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Again, you assume its unfair.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's what you wrote is unfair in the eyes of the posters.

Sorry that you feel that way.
Original post by kka25
It's what you wrote is unfair in the eyes of the posters.

Sorry that you feel that way.

I don't think it's unfair that I feel bad for my mum, who may I reiterate, has depression, is the only one in the house who has to do everything without any help.

Are you? Then why are you trying to make me feel bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's unfair that I feel bad for my mum, who may I reiterate, has depression, is the only one in the house who has to do everything without any help.

Are you? Then why are you trying to make me feel bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But she doesn't have to be the only one because I'm sure you are there to help and do your share.
Reply 38
My other half and I share everything.
It's a little technique we called "communicating". Give it a go... it's great!

I always said I wanted to be a relationship where cars and toys weren't a sticking point and that's what we've got. :smile:
But she doesn't have to be the only one because I'm sure you are there to help and do your share.

I'm not, I go to university 250 miles away from home. If I could help her I would, but I need to get my degree so I can help my family more in the long run by getting a good job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest