The Student Room Group

Seeking advice for GEM

GEM applicant here.

I really thought this would be my year with the UKCAT, particularly as this is my second sitting, but I returned home devastated at my results (again).

I got an average of 620, B1. (570; 640; 680; 590). I got a similar score last year.

I have a Masters (Merit) with 2.1, but mediocre GCSEs and A-levels, and thus was considering Warwick as first choice. I went to their open day this year and they said it's unlikely that they'd interview anyone less than 2700. However, on their website, it says they'd consider people with <2700 if they have a PhD. Does anyone know (via personal experience) if there's a possibility of being invited with a Masters instead? (I will contact them to ask too).

It's a possibility with the average being lower this year due to the harder DA (esp. coupled with the hard VR), so do you think that I should consider applying to Warwick anyway (with the assumption they may lower their threshold)?

I haven't finished/prepared a Personal Statement yet, and was thinking that I'd be able to complete it if I got the score I needed to apply, but if it's not worth applying, it would save me 2 weeks of PS writing hell (which I don't mind pursuing if it means I have a shot at 2015 entry).

My other area of concern is the interview. Say I apply for 2016 entry, get through to the second round at the selection centre, but blow the interview. From now to that point would be about 2 years, which I can't help but think, is half to 2/3 of the time I could spend doing a PhD.
Reply 1
My sister applied to Warwick last year with an average of 680. Got rejected without interview. The average is down by about 25 so far this year, meaning the cut off will probably be no less than possibly 660. I'm applying this year in the hope that my average of 680 will get me to the selection centre.

Unfortunately, I think with your score you are unlikely to get to the selection centre/interview at any ukcat med school.

Did you take the GAMSAT?
Have you looked at unis that don't use entry exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If you asked me about the GAMSAT last year, I would've told you that I won't need it as I plan on securing a good score in the UKCAT this year, in 2014. Well, now that I have my score, the GAMSAT is beginning to look like a 'backup' if the UKCAT doesn't work out next year. Thing is, the universities that use it don't appeal to me. I'd just be taking as a Plan B, and accepting any university, whether I like it or not, who'd offer me a place on their course (providing I secure a good mark).

The universities that don't use selection tests want something else, usually in way of academics prior to the degree, which I can't say are impressive. So it looks like, this isn't my year.
Reply 3
I don't see exactly what you have to lose by applying. Two weeks is hardly a great deal of time to lose to PS writing and worst case scenario you have a good PS to build on next year.
No one here is going to be able to accurately tell you if you'll get in or not; far too many variables with Warwick this year.

Question is, how much are you going to kick yourself if someone with a lower score than you gets an interview?
Reply 4
Original post by Zorg
I don't see exactly what you have to lose by applying. Two weeks is hardly a great deal of time to lose to PS writing and worst case scenario you have a good PS to build on next year.
No one here is going to be able to accurately tell you if you'll get in or not; far too many variables with Warwick this year.

Question is, how much are you going to kick yourself if someone with a lower score than you gets an interview?

You're right, I don't really have much to lose by applying, and I'm still giving it consideration. I'll certainly do so if Warwick replies back telling me that my MSc will help in my application? I might give them a call today to speed things along.

What variables are you talking about with Warwick?
Reply 5
Original post by J1mmy
You're right, I don't really have much to lose by applying, and I'm still giving it consideration. I'll certainly do so if Warwick replies back telling me that my MSc will help in my application? I might give them a call today to speed things along.

What variables are you talking about with Warwick?

2.2+MSc/PhD can now apply, PS no longer assessed, decrease in UKCAT scores (though this last point only really counts if they are basing their estimates on last years cohort)

Essentially the composition of applicants has changed, the method of assessment has changed and the entrance exam has had a big change. To predict how it'll all turn out is a bit too complex without knowing more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending