The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by ibismyenemy
hey yeah i was thinking about applying next summer before uni...
would you say its difficult to get selected? is there a lot of competition and stuff?
and have fun!!!

They're promoting the scheme quite a lot on social media so they're after more volunteers.

The assessment day is very informal, as long as you talk to people and make an effort in the group activities you'll get in.

Go for it! Cheers :smile:
Original post by cdude
They're promoting the scheme quite a lot on social media so they're after more volunteers.

The assessment day is very informal, as long as you talk to people and make an effort in the group activities you'll get in.

Go for it! Cheers :smile:

but is it ethical?
Reply 382
Original post by trustmeimlying1
but is it ethical?

What do you mean?
Original post by cdude
What do you mean?

volunteering abroad..
not bettter to give the money to the locals than some unprofessional student..
Reply 384
I just returned from a 3 month placement in Bangladesh with VSO on the 19th. If anyone has any questions i'm more than willing to help
Just applied fingers crossed
Original post by Lilds
I just returned from a 3 month placement in Bangladesh with VSO on the 19th. If anyone has any questions i'm more than willing to help

tastey out! yeh if yeh wouldnt mind:?
Original post by Black Cat
Just applied fingers crossed
really where yeh apply for?when yeh applying for too?
Original post by Lilds

Fantastic! I'm only available to go late June. I emailed them to ask if they have any known departures at that time but they said that they are still securing funds for next year. I have my form half filled! I'll try to keep checking the website to see if they have been confirmed at all before I send it off. How did you find it? What did you do? :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 388
This looks kind of interesting. Do you get to choose where you go and what you do?
Original post by Ziplot
This looks kind of interesting. Do you get to choose where you go and what you do?

I'm a way yes - you can ask to be placed with a specific charity so you could pick the charity that goes to your preferred country but all the charities goes to multiple countries and they get to ultimately decide where you go but you do get to indicate a preference which you generally will get

As for what you do it depends on the charity you pick - for my placement it was either Natural Resource Management or Water and Sanitation and after briefing us about the 8 different project sites they said they'd be placing us in groups based on observations so far but we could also ask to be placed in a specific place if you wanted
Does anyone know if ICS will be running into summer / late this year. I know it's meant to end mid 2015, but apparently it could be renewed.
Did anyone have a phone chat/interview?

I applied about a week ago and I received a text saying that I should call them because they want to ask me afew questions. Does anyone know what kind of questions I will be asked?
Original post by 1..
Just rang them too, got the email and also placed with VSO. Don't know the assessment date as yet - did you get the date in an email straight away? I'll report back when I do. Yeh I guess they'll forward your application, ICS spoke to me on the phone a while ago asking me a few questions.

Do you mind me asking what questions they asked you?

Ive been told to call them ASAP but Im worried about what I will be asked and I want to prepare for the questions. Cheers!:smile:
Applied for this about a week ago, got a text asking me to call them so I did and passed the first stage. Got invited to a VSO assessment day on the 29th which is a bit daunting since I live in Scotland and will need to travel to London but good to know they pay for travel expenses. Just wondering what is best to wear, shirt and tie or is it less formal than that?
Original post by Calum0001
Applied for this about a week ago, got a text asking me to call them so I did and passed the first stage. Got invited to a VSO assessment day on the 29th which is a bit daunting since I live in Scotland and will need to travel to London but good to know they pay for travel expenses. Just wondering what is best to wear, shirt and tie or is it less formal than that?

Hey. My assessment day is tomorrow morning! I've read a few times that most people wear jeans and t-shirts. In the information pack I had sent to me it did also say to wear what you feel comfortable in. If you have any questions i'll get back to you tomorrow and answer them! :biggrin:
Original post by JacobM96
Hey. My assessment day is tomorrow morning! I've read a few times that most people wear jeans and t-shirts. In the information pack I had sent to me it did also say to wear what you feel comfortable in. If you have any questions i'll get back to you tomorrow and answer them! :biggrin:

Cheers for the reply, how did it go? What kind of group activities were there and how big were the groups?
Hey. It was honestly fine. There were 4 activities/tasks that we had to do. First one is an ice breaker, nothing special. Then it's a problem solving exercise ( building useful items out of basic resources ). Then you have lunch and after that you go into the next activity. There were 3 dilemma's read out to us as in pairs we had to discuss how to solve these dilemma's. We later on had to go into a room and have a group discussion about how we would go about solving these problems. Then it's the interview, ( really easy, no hard questions ) and after that we had to do a 2 minute presentation on our day and what we enjoyed/didn't enjoy about it. There were 8 of us all together and about 6 assessors. Just relax, as the day goes on you're pretty tired anyway and the nerves go down. good luck!:smile:
Thanks very much for the replies! Much appreciated.
What kind of things do people do for the 'action at home'?

I cant think of anything, and I have my assessment day with Raleigh on Tuesday, and I was told to come up with ideas!

Thanks in advance for any replies! :smile:
Original post by supperrabbit
What kind of things do people do for the 'action at home'?

I cant think of anything, and I have my assessment day with Raleigh on Tuesday, and I was told to come up with ideas!

Thanks in advance for any replies! :smile:

Most people just give presentations in return for donations. So say a school donated a few hundred pounds, in return you could give a presentation to the students on your time abroad. Things like that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending