The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Something on another thread raised a question.
As creating images of people is haram, what is the ruling on mirrors?
Your reflection in a mirror is an image of a person, so who is at fault? The person who made the mirror or you for standing in front of it?

Along with a comb and other items the Prophet (pbuh) always had a mirror with him. Mirrors are permissible. If not what is to be done with natural mirrors? A pool of water for example.

Photographs are haram though. The difference lies in the purpose and the permanency of a photograph
http://islamqa.info/en/96832
Reply 4861
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Along with a comb and other items the Prophet (pbuh) always had a mirror with him. Mirrors are permissible. If not what is to be done with natural mirrors? A pool of water for example.

Photographs are haram though. The difference lies in the purpose and the permanency of a photograph
So it's ok to make an image of someone as long as you destroy it fairly quickly.

Which brings me on to a supplementary question.
What is the difference between an image of something and the real thing? If it is haram to have images of living things, lest we idolise them, what is to stop us idolising the actual people and animals? Should we avoid looking at people and animals? They are pretty permanent!

Photos are haram, do you believe digital photos are too? Say for example photos of friends or selfies on an i-phone?

If they are haram how many sins do they account for?

I've read many times if you fast on this day or that it will remove x amount of sins but how do you know how many, or is this something you will never know and just hope enough will be enough?:smile:
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Photos are haram, do you believe digital photos are too? Say for example photos of friends or selfies on an i-phone?

If they are haram how many sins do they account for?

I've read many times if you fast on this day or that it will remove x amount of sins but how do you know how many, or is this something you will never know and just hope enough will be enough?:smile:

Depends on what fiqh school of thought you subscribe to. There is always a grey area, and Muslims are encouraged to avoid questionable stuff. If you take a photograph of a moving being just for your entertainment or remembrance and it is in a tangible physical form it is definitely haram and this would chase away angels. Of course there are situations where it is necessary. All digital photographs on the other hand are o.k. and permissible as it is not permanent nor is it stored as an image. The problem is with physical images and idols (statues). We shouldn't attribute special stuff to an image.

A "sin" is just an action that violates God's law. It is not a state like it is in Christianity, but it affects your state. Not all sins are equally weighted. Only faith is enough for Paradise but what level we end up depends on works. x amount of good deeds and x amount of sins is just a measurement to give us the value of such a deed. For example taking the smallest amount of riba (interest) is worse than 36 times of zina (adultery of the eye). But at the end of the day even the Prophet (pbuh) said that even his works would not be enough for paradise and it'll be only from the grace/mercy of Allah that he'll be granted Paradise. The grace comes in the form of multiplication of the value of good works, a good deed to even an intention, and forgiveness for a repenting heart of all sins (without the need to spill blood or sacrifice).
(edited 9 years ago)
When Western films are exported to strict muslims countries, do they have to photoshop hijabs onto the women? (srs)

Do they also have to do the same with animated films?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
When Western films are exported to strict muslims countries, do they have to photoshop hijabs onto the women? (srs)

No. Not to my knowledge. It would've been well known and mocked on this forum if they did.

Lol. I'm moving to the strictest country soon so I'll let you know. But no, I'm sure they don't, dem arabs can be fishy. I wonder how they even find out about new movies. Like in the UK, they're boldly exposed on them ugly red buses, non of that crap in Saudi etc... Perhaps in Dubai though.

No they don't do that in Pakistan. Even our own dramas don't have all women in headscarfs. I guess Pakistan is not a "strict Muslim country".
Original post by Ankabout
No they don't do that in Pakistan. Even our own dramas don't have all women in headscarfs. I guess Pakistan is not a "strict Muslim country".

Original post by beautifulxxx
Lol. I'm moving to the strictest country soon so I'll let you know. But no, I'm sure they don't, dem arabs can be fishy. I wonder how they even find out about new movies. Like in the UK, they're boldly exposed on them ugly red buses, non of that crap in Saudi etc... Perhaps in Dubai though.

Original post by IdeasForLife
No. Not to my knowledge. It would've been well known and mocked on this forum if they did.

Thanks for the replies :smile: And oy, those buses aren't ugly! :mad:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4869
As a Muslim, is it wrong to make profits from selling Islamic literature/knowledge to fellow Muslims?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
As a Muslim, is it wrong to make profits from selling Islamic literature/knowledge to fellow Muslims?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

Edit: If everything is done in a halal way with good intentions, it's fine to sell Islamic books and make money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope as above, its accepted that people have to also make a living....this is generally the case for speakers and teachers, though some speakers may be for free as they get funding from elsewhere but require travel expenses to be covered.
Can I get a clear cut answer on islam and evolution pls.

Is it possible to accept evolution (human evolution included) and also fully believe in islam as well?

How would you reconcile human evolution with adam and eve?

Please, simple, straight to the point and no videos. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi a few questions

What is the point of Hijab?
To hide the hair from a male, most men don't get horny by simply looking at hair, In a sense don't some men become more sexually frustrated & perverted because they arent allowed a sexual outlet no masturbation or sex before marriage. Guys cant afford to get married at such a young age anymore and support a wife.

Do menopausal women still have to wear Hijab?
Original post by vickidc18
Hi a few questions

What is the point of Hijab?
To hide the hair from a male, most men don't get horny by simply looking at hair, In a sense don't some men become more sexually frustrated & perverted because they arent allowed a sexual outlet no masturbation or sex before marriage. Guys cant afford to get married at such a young age anymore and support a wife.

Do menopausal women still have to wear Hijab?

1. People think its simply just the hijab, its modesty in general so loose garments and modesty in terms of the mind, how one acts, etc same applies to guys. It entirely depends, but again if you are brought up mentally as a Muslim who tend to not focus on such things and also relates to getting married younger than our non-Muslim counterparts.

2. Not entirely true, Muslims are brought up with a different expectation in life, so for example in comparison to our Non-Muslim counterparts we are focus far more heavily on marriage and at a young age.

Just a few months ago my mate got married, he's only 21 and is doing fine. Found people at university who have kids and also around 20, my sister at her university has a guy with a wife and a kid, just 20.

Yes
Original post by just a theory m8

Is it possible to accept evolution (human evolution included) and also fully believe in islam as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by just a theory m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is possible to accept theistic evolution afaik but without human speciation.
It is possible to accept theistic evolution afaik but without human speciation.

Well, that's Islam debunked then. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice post, akh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending