The Student Room Group

A devastated father takes to Facebook with a blunt message after his son dies of OD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Altered mental state and psychosis. Sure, I'll take two please. :rolleyes:

>psychosis

that's a myth.. debunked by scientific research.
Reply 21
Feel sorry for his baby son as he is going to grow up without his father.I admire the father for trying to spread the word hopefully it will help stop more young peoples death.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Why are any of them relevant?

"It can harm people" is not adequate justification for the illegality of anything; cars kill thousands every year, should they be illegal?

Do I need to really run a list of the differences between the effects illegal drugs make and a car?

How about illegal drugs can and do deteriorate communities. Not to mention personal risk to life, but also lets not forget the anti-social aspect. I mean, are cars anti-social?
Original post by demx9
>psychosis

that's a myth.. debunked by scientific research.

I'm interested to read such research. If you will. :smile:
His father should tell people what was in his system actually rather than naming of random drugs trying to scaremonger (right wing source, surprise surprise). LSD does not cause that. He died of an OVERDOSE of cough syrup, most likely mixed with other things they shouldn't have been.

This is proof that we should legalise all drugs and educate people on the safe dosages.

Altered mental state and psychosis. Sure, I'll take two please. :rolleyes:

Anything but an altered mental state! How could I possibly cope?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm interested to read such research. If you will. :smile:

Estimates of the prevalence of LSD-induced prolonged psychosis lasting over 48 hours have been made by surveying researchers and therapists who had administered LSD:

Cohen (1960) estimated 0.8 per 1,000 volunteers (the single case among approximately 1250 study volunteers was the identical twin of a person with schizophrenia, and he recovered within 5 days).

Malleson (1971) reported no cases of psychosis among experimental subjects (170 volunteers who received a total of 450 LSD sessions).

According to data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (conducted by the National Institute on Drug Abuse), drawing from 130,152 respondents (17,486 of which used LSD), LSD use is associated with a slightly lower risk of psychosis and other mental illness.
Well, he probably didn't die from the LSD overdose and it should be noted that Dextromethorphan is widely available legally

My guess is that he took something spiked with another medication/substance.

Another death that may not have happened if the Drugs were regulated properly and Drug Users were given appropriate avenues.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do I need to really run a list of the differences between the effects illegal drugs make and a car?

How about illegal drugs can and do deteriorate communities. Not to mention personal risk to life, but also lets not forget the anti-social aspect. I mean, are cars anti-social?

This is exactly the type of argument that was made in the early 20th century by those in favour of Prohibition. Alcohol can be just as damaging to people and their families if consumed in excess; why isn't that illegal?
Original post by demx9
LSD use is associated with a slightly lower risk of psychosis and other mental illness.]

Right. So it's not, in anyway, 'debunked', then.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Alcohol can be just as damaging to people and their families if consumed in excess; why isn't that illegal?

Make it illegal then.

*Shrugs*
Make it illegal then.

*Shrugs*

I'm not sure if you're serious or not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

You still haven't explained why illegal drugs are relevant here, by the way
Reply 31
I don't know where you get all this from. :lol: I personally don't give a **** about drugs. As far as I'm concerned, you can all take as many drugs as you would like, so long as nobody else comes to harm through it. I do think drug addicts make bad parents - any kind of addict does.
Reply 32
Right. So it's not, in anyway, 'debunked', then.

you went retard mode? that means taking LSD decreases the chance of developing mental illnesses.

http://www.ntnu.edu/news/2013-news/lsd-survey
Reply 33

How about illegal drugs can and do deteriorate communities.

So cab reckless driving. Yet the solution to reckless driving isn't tk ban all cars, it's to stop reckless driving. The problem in this case is that the dead guy was using drugs recklessly. There are thousands of people who have used the sane drug without overdosing.

Not to mention personal risk to life, but also lets not forget the anti-social aspect. I mean, are cars anti-social?

Everytime you step into a car you're taking a personal risk. How do you know that you're going to arrive to your destination safely? You don't.

People are anti-social. You can use your car to be anti-social. You can use your car to commit crimes. You can use your car for all sorts of illegal activity, perhaps we should ban them.
In a lot of way this planet can't sustain 7 billion people. So I say let the government manufacture a deadly drug and let every dumbass eat/sniff/inject it and all die.
And this is why we should never legalise drugs.

If you are going to try a drug, you are going to try it regardless of whether that is legal or not. By legalising it, we can tax it and direct that money to rehab clinics, hospitals, community healthcare centres. We put criminal drug gangs who exploit the vulnerable out of business. We start treating those that take drugs like patients and not criminals we remove the taboo associated with it and we can start making moves to help those that need it. We can direct the money to schools and create projects that focus on education and prevention.
Make it illegal then.

*Shrugs*

You cannot eradicate an issue by making it illegal. The focus should be on helping those that need help to seek it, and educating the rest on prevention.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
In a lot of way this planet can't sustain 7 billion people. So I say let the government manufacture a deadly drug and let every dumbass eat/sniff/inject it and all die.

Everybody makes mistake, does that mean those that make the mistake of trying a drug deserve to die? Did the person in question deserve to die? Does his son deserve to live a life without a father because of one bad decision he made?
Reply 38
And this is why we should never legalise drugs.

The point of legalisation is that it can be regulated. If you can regulate it, you can prevent unsafe impurities and you can check health records and suggest support groups. They are going to do it whether it's legal or not, so you might as well provide them a safer alternative instead of pushing them underground.
This is a tragedy but doesnt need to be used as a platform for drug prohibition. Its just another "Think of the children" plea to emotion and adds little to the debate. Statistics and facts should be the only items put forward as evidence. Anything else is manipulative

Quick Reply

Latest