The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hrunting
23% of applicants being offered admission to Oxford is very different from having a 23% chance of getting in lol. It's unlikely that, if you were to apply a hundred times to Oxford, selecting Somerville every time would get you accepted more than a couple times more than if you selected Harris Manchester every time.

I am sorry but you seem to have a fundamentally erroneous understanding of mathematics.

So long as one knows nothing about any applicant save that they have applied to a particular college, then 23% of applicants being offered admission is exactly the same as having a 23% chance of getting in.

However, once one knows other information about the applicants then that ceases to be the case.

If you know that there are 10 horses in a race but you know no other information about their breeding, form or riders, then as far as you are concerned each has a 10% chance of success.

However, in reality one horse will win and nine will lose.

The bookmaker who does know something of the backgrounds of the horses and riders will assess the chances of success differently because he has access to more information about the the backgrounds of horse and rider.

In the present case the OP (and we) knows nothing of the relative strength of his application, so we can do no more than say he has a 23% chance of getting in. If the OP is offered an interview then he knows his chances are better than that because al those not offered interview have 0% chance of getting in. If we know more about the relative standard of each applicant we can form a better view of the OP's prospects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Why do people, and the media, use the predicted grades of those rejected as some kind of shocking statistic? Firstly, predicted grades are pretty much the least relevant aspect of any application and secondly, pretty much everyone applying will have the same predicted grades (when you factor in that universities don't really differentiate between an A*AA and A*A*A* prediction). Then for those subjects with an admissions test, if someone falls in the bottom 30-40% of the cohort their application pretty much doesn't even get looked at, making near enough every aspect of their application irrelevant.

Because the general public and media have little awareness of the (present) sheer number of students with perfect or near perfect grades.
Original post by nulli tertius
I am sorry but you seem to have a fundamentally erroneous understanding of mathematics.

So long as one knows nothing about any applicant save that they have applied to a particular college, then 23% of applicants being offered admission is exactly the same as having a 23% chance of getting in.

However, once one knows other information about the applicants then that ceases to be the case.

If you know that there are 10 horses in a race but you know no other information about their breeding, form or riders, then as far as you are concerned each has a 10% chance of success.

However, in reality one horse will win and nine will lose.

The bookmaker who does know something of the backgrounds of the horses and riders will assess the chances of success differently because he has access to more information about the the backgrounds of horse and rider.

In the present case the OP (and we) knows nothing of the relative strength of his application, so we can do no more than say he has a 23% chance of getting in. If the OP is offered an interview then he knows his chances are better than that because al those not offered interview have 0% chance of getting in. If we know more about the relative standard of each applicant we can form a better view of the OP's prospects.

I edited a typo in my response which definitely changes the meaning, but my idea was that I don't think the colleges are that different in terms of acceptance standards. The admissions officers write that your choice of college should have a minimal effect on whether you are accepted to Oxford as a whole. Your argument about horse racing is certainly legitimate, but I was addressing something slightly different. We can say that students who applied to Harris have a 15% chance of getting in, and students who applied to Magdalen have a 23% chance, but I don't think that students who applied to Harris necessarily would have been better off if they had applied to Somerville or Magdalen.
It would be interesting to look at whether certain colleges attract stronger students. For example, 20% of Brasenose applicants are accepted to Oxford, but only 11% are accepted within Brasenose. 15% of Harris Manchester applicants are accepted, and 14% are accepted within Harris Manchester. Does this mean that Brasenose applicants are generally stronger than Harris Manchester applicants? I have no idea.
I edited a typo in my response which definitely changes the meaning, but my idea was that I don't think the colleges are that different in terms of acceptance standards. The admissions officers write that your choice of college should have a minimal effect on whether you are accepted to Oxford as a whole. Your argument about horse racing is certainly legitimate, but I was addressing something slightly different. We can say that students who applied to Harris have a 15% chance of getting in, and students who applied to Magdalen have a 23% chance, but I don't think that students who applied to Harris necessarily would have been better off if they had applied to Somerville or Magdalen.
It would be interesting to look at whether certain colleges attract stronger students. For example, 20% of Brasenose applicants are accepted to Oxford, but only 11% are accepted within Brasenose. 15% of Harris Manchester applicants are accepted, and 14% are accepted within Harris Manchester. Does this mean that Brasenose applicants are generally stronger than Harris Manchester applicants? I have no idea.

Harris Manchester almost certainly has more weak applicants because it is harder for mature applicants to judge their relative strength against the brightest and best of the current crop of VIth formers.

The difference between the success rates of different colleges is largely due to the difference in quality of the applicants (it also relates in part to the different course mix at different colleges).

However each applicant is a participant in the process not a spectator. He doesn't have a God's eye view. He forms part of a cohort of a particular quality. He has a good change of admission because Magdalen in fact attracts not a lot (for its size) of candidates who tend to be of good quality.

The particular applicant who raised this thought that Magdalen was a very competitive college but that is due to an absence of a God's eye view. He or she could no doubt see lots of applications from a similar social background but was not able to appreciate that this was unrepresentative of applications to the university as a whole.
Original post by Annette Curtain
Why are there more interview acceptances than rejections apparent on TSR for Oxford? Is it because most members on here who get rejected will most likely not share this news, or because TSR attracts over-prepared, more academic/perfectionist people?
Opinions please

Statistically more candidates get interviews than don't. I'd also reason that internationals typically have a lower interview rate too, with TSR being probably more home/EU applicant demographically than the applicant pool which further exaggerates that.

I do also think the kind of people who use TSR can sometimes be more prepared/clued up than people who don't listen to the advice given and perhaps don't have a school or family/social connection able to give similar advice.

Just musings though.

The difference between the success rates of different colleges is largely due to the difference in quality of the applicants (it also relates in part to the different course mix at different colleges).

Oh Nulli, somewhere an access rep just died.

I'd add that the success rates can and do wildly fluctuate year on year-the past in this instance is not a guide to the future.
Look if you applied for Magdalen you have a 23% chance of getting into Oxford (all subjects). That is better than anywhere apart from Corpus, New and Somerville.

Feel sorry for the poor souls who applied to Harris Carpetright. They only have a 15% chance of getting it.

That's also wrong, the highest College last year was Worcester unless I am incredibly mistaken at 25%.

https://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/Undergraduate-Admissions/2013-Admissions-Report

Not that it matters, pointless distinction and discussion. I also object strongly to the snobbery against Harris Manchester on a forum with applicants on. Just no need for it, I'd hope for better from you to be honest.
Harris Manchester almost certainly has more weak applicants because it is harder for mature applicants to judge their relative strength against the brightest and best of the current crop of VIth formers.

However each applicant is a participant in the process not a spectator. He doesn't have a God's eye view. He forms part of a cohort of a particular quality. He has a good change of admission because Magdalen in fact attracts not a lot (for its size) of candidates who tend to be of good quality.

The particular applicant who raised this thought that Magdalen was a very competitive college but that is due to an absence of a God's eye view. He or she could no doubt see lots of applications from a similar social background but was not able to appreciate that this was unrepresentative of applications to the university as a whole.

If the difference really is almost fully due to applicant quality, then we shouldn't "feel sorry" for Harris Manchester applicants, right? Their 15% acceptance would be because more of them are unqualified, not because they selected a harder college.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jenkinsear
That's also wrong, the highest College last year was Worcester unless I am incredibly mistaken at 25%.

https://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/Undergraduate-Admissions/2013-Admissions-Report

I was using the published three year average because of the volatility of the figures (from which back in the day I both lost out and benefited)

Not that it matters, pointless distinction and discussion. I also object strongly to the snobbery against Harris Manchester on a forum with applicants on. Just no need for it, I'd hope for better from you to be honest.

I am sorry but I am firmly in the "Latin Quarter of Cowley" school of puncturing the self-importance of the university and the colleges.
Has anyone heard anything from Merton? I applied to History and Politics so I'm not expecting anything yet, but I'm wondering if Law applicants have heard anything.

Sure hope I get an interview/rejection before Thanksgiving :ahhhhh:
If the difference really is almost fully due to applicant quality, then we shouldn't "feel sorry" for Harris Manchester applicants, right? Their 15% acceptance would be because more of them are unqualified, not because they selected a harder college.

But they have their hopes and their dreams as well. That they turn out not to be as qualified as others, doesn't change that, and as proportionately more will be disappointed (obviously as it is a smaller college in absolute terms there will be more turned down by Magdalen) it will seem a much harder battle for them.
I left on Friday as I was sure very little offers would be made, plus I mostly read this thread during the week to avoid doing work, I just came back and have been reading through, this thread has gotten hella weird...

Anyways, I havent heard yet, and I'm nervous i may get a rejection on Thursday which is Thanksgiving, that would suck!
Original post by derek15
I left on Friday as I was sure very little offers would be made, plus I mostly read this thread during the week to avoid doing work, I just came back and have been reading through, this thread has gotten hella weird...

Anyways, I havent heard yet, and I'm nervous i may get a rejection on Thursday which is Thanksgiving, that would suck!

American? me too I have been waiting nervously for Corpus

Many people for my subject have already gotten offers so preparing for rejection.
Original post by ckotool
American? me too I have been waiting nervously for Corpus

Many people for my subject have already gotten offers so preparing for rejection.

Yep, american. I'm trying for His/Pol at Oriel, what major for Corpus Christi?

Btw, dont worry about it you havent gotten a rejection yet so you're every bit in it
Original post by derek15
Yep, american. I'm trying for His/Pol at Oriel, what major for Corpus Christi?

Btw, dont worry about it you havent gotten a rejection yet so you're every bit in it

so great to see a fellow American! I applied for law and was allocated to Corpus. I hope I hear some news this week.

Where are you from? I am from San Francisco/Bay Area!
Original post by ckotool
so great to see a fellow American! I applied for law and was allocated to Corpus. I hope I hear some news this week.

Where are you from? I am from San Francisco/Bay Area!

Aw no way, I am too! Which school? I'm from San Jose :smile:
Original post by derek15

ahh PM me rather not say on a public forum!
Original post by Politepedant
Interview for Law at Christ Church.
Anyone else get the same? :smile:

likewise
Original post by derek15

woah i'm from the bay too (berkeley)! i applied for econ & management at brasenose but expecting a rejection to come soon.
Small world Lads :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending