The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Illarramendi is such a mediocre player. What an awful signing that was. Ronaldo and Bale were both pretty poor yesterday but still a comfortable win.
Original post by Malevolent
No one takes CWC seriously. Madrid don't need that to show they're the best team in the world.

Carlo Ancelotti obviously does
Of the 40 most regular La Liga CB's, Pepe is the only one who hasn't been booked this season.

He's such a good guy.

Amar Pepe!

#TheMediaIsAgainstPepe
Pepe is my hero
Real Madrid win the Club World Cup!

Oh, and Ronaldo snubbed Platini at the medal collection part.
Original post by Manchester United
Real Madrid win the Club World Cup!

Oh, and Ronaldo snubbed Platini at the medal collection part.

Yeah, they were far superior to the opposition. Ramos has smashed it by scoring important goals. Bale has scored in 3 finals, including the winner in the CL and CDR final.

Platini was presumably snubbed over his comments that a WC winner should win the Ballon D'or but greeted the corrupt Blatter, who is an honorary Real member, reopened the voting last year and then failed to release the vote list from the initial round.
(edited 9 years ago)
Messi's goal last night was ridiculous. Scored 8 out of his last 11 with his 'weak foot'. If he doesn't get 5 star weak foot ability in fifa 16 I'll not be happy
Original post by Zander01
Messi's goal last night was ridiculous. Scored 8 out of his last 11 with his 'weak foot'. If he doesn't get 5 star weak foot ability in fifa 16 I'll not be happy

He placed the first one into the top corners, others would put their foot through it and club it in.

The first touch and rotation for the second was exquisite, the keeper didn't cover himself in glory.

Yeah, "Messi is good but isn't two footed" is complete rubbish.
Anyone watch Atléti match before? Great comeback. Simeone is a top man-manager, the way he invigorated his players for the second half was remarkable, something we lacked at Villa Park for sure.

Love how Griezmann has taken to the club. Hadn't see him play much at Sociedad but he was awesome in the World Cup, and shown he's not just a tournament wonder.

Thing that impresses me most about Atléti is their versatility. They can change style of play multiple times within a game, be it counter attacking or wide play with crosses into the box. A throwback to the past with a modern twist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Anyone watch Atléti match before? Great comeback. Simeone is a top man-manager, the way he invigorated his players for the second half was remarkable, something we lacked at Villa Park for sure.

Love how Griezmann has taken to the club. Hadn't see him play much at Sociedad but he was awesome in the World Cup, and shown he's not just a tournament wonder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely he proved he's not just a tournament wonder when he played better for sociedad in the la liga than at the world cup

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Surely he proved he's not just a tournament wonder when he played better for sociedad in the la liga than at the world cup

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you read my post you can would've seen I said I didn't watch him at Sociedad. It's never a guarantee when moving to a top club, suppose the older fish-pond analogy comes into play here. I like him though, quite versatile as well, can play on the wing and as a second striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zander01

Beautiful goal tbf. That angle doesn't even do it justice.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Well if you read my post you can would've seen I said I didn't watch him at Sociedad. It's never a guarantee when moving to a top club, suppose the older fish-pond analogy comes into play here. I like him though, quite versatile as well, can play on the wing and as a second striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant that you shouldn't have thought of him as a tournament wonder without knowing how well he played in the league

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but he did say he didn't watch Griezmann beforehand.

I'd say the past 2 and a half season was when he shown to be a top quality player. Under Montanier in 12/13 was when he started taking more responsibility goal wise and the season after was essentially one of two sources of goals. Most people in spain who followed La Liga realised how good a player he was I'd think. I personally wanted to buy him this summer to complete our right wing conundrum with a left sided player. Him and Hazard could have been so good together.
Torres deal makes complete sense if it does go through.

Diego Simeone likes players who are capable of pressing and have a high work rate which is probably why he didn't really fancy Alessio Cerci. Torres still has a very high work rate and tenacity that would be useful for Simeone's side. He'll play a role similar to that of Adrian Lopez and press from the front with a bit of pace.

It's an interesting situation though. I think Torres will get a decent goal tally at Atlético, while I felt that he was never going to do too well at Milan, reason being that he suits a style of play that involves a lot of pressing from the front and most importantly a fast tempo. Milan don't really do that as well as Atlético. Chelsea play a pretty slow game against general teams and Torres best performances at Chelsea tended to come in the big games, where we generally played on the counter attack with fast paced football (Bayern game, europa league final, Spurs game at WHL, Man City game at the Bridge last year etc). He also is no longer good enough to work as a sole lone striker who does the headless chicken running high up the pitch for 90mins while being their main outlet like he was at Liverpool, so he'd be best suited to play with Mandzukic who can pitch in with goals.

Simeone knows how to rotate his attacking players accordingly and this rotation will suit Torres. This is all assuming that the deal goes through.
While I'm also at it I think Atlético's style of play gets too much flak. I think they play some wonderful football. Just because they can go to park bus mode and get a bit dirty doesn't mean that they don't play good football. The pressing is part of the football, as well as the sitting back. They can play through midfield and use the wings very well. Turan and Koke play great football.

Was watching the highlights of Atlético vs Malmo and one of the goals they scored was just a classic team goal great passing with pin point accuracy. People just watch the Madrid derbies or Atlético vs Barcelona and think Atlético just put 10 men behind the ball and try to hoof it up to a target man every game.

Would like to see Atlético vs Bayern this season. Also Real's fixture congestion is going to bite them in the arse, especially if they beat Atlético in the R16. They've already peaked and this winter break isn't going to do them any favours.
Yeah Atléti can play wonderful football, they have creative players like Arda and Griezmann to do it. Case in point was the equaliser against Bilbao, they dug in to retrieve the ball then a fast, one-touch counter. Tbh system wise would argue they are the best in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of functional systems it's Atléti, then Chelsea then a giant gap to Real Madrid. Dortmund would be level with Chelsea but they havent adapted to Lewandowski loss.

Also amazing goal against Bilbao. When you lose the ball to Atlético you are in trouble. Honestly the Atlético game was one of two game last season that I got shivers during the match and felt we were going to lose. PSG away too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh Dortmund have suffered because they don't have a goal scoring midfielder and never really have bar Reus, and Gotze scored a little. Mkhitaryn and Blaszczykowski don't score and now Reus is out they lack goals. This was evident even with Lewa tbh, were over-reliant on him. Torres could've fit them well as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Dortmund had kept Kagawa back in 2012 as well as Sahin with the likes of Gundogan it could have been a different story but in reality Klopp and the Dortmund players do not have the belief that they can challenge Bayern.

Don't think Atlético will fade like that though. They always have a good goalscoring striker or two, the midfield is getting on a little but Koke and Turan still have time on their side. Same for Mario Suarez, Olivér Torres to come in, Saul to come in too. Leo Baptistao is also doing very well on loan at Rayo. He's got a 1 in 2 rate for a lower midtable side which is nothing to be sniffed at. There's a lot of potential for when the likes of Gabi, Tiago and co get on and are no longer starters.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest