The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Child nursing Oct 2015 entry

Hi there, I've been offered a place for child nursing at the University of York starting in Oct 2015, i'm just wondering if anyone else has applied for child nursing or any other nursing here, also wondering if anyone else has a place?

If anyone needs any help or has any questions just ask Xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have applied for childrens nursing at York, sent my ucas off at the beginning of the month and still not heard anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by kregan1
I have applied for childrens nursing at York, sent my ucas off at the beginning of the month and still not heard anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent my application off on the 23rd of oct and by the end of November I still hadn't heard anything, on their website it says 6 weeks so I rang them and I had an interview it just hadn't been out on my ucas, I'd say leave it for around 6-7 weeks and if you Havnt heard ring them. This interview was the most professional I've had there is no maths and no English test, you had in your GCSE certificates etc then are split into two groups A and B, you go into a room with your group where you watch a video clip and then have to discuss questions as a group. Then one group goes for a campus tour while the other has individual interviews, then you swap. The campus is beautiful and everyone is so friendly. In the individual interview they ask you basic questions why you want to be a nurse, the 6 Cs and how you would use them. All the way through the day I found the staff and everyone so lovely. They even had coffee, tea and cakes provided for us all day. So professional and such a lovely place :smile: don't worry about a thing x
Reply 3
oooh thank you thats made me feel a lot more positive! i shall contact them after the christmas holidays as im sure no one will reply during😂 I have an interview at birmingham in january and it sounds the same as that so hopefully ill get some practice in☺ I went to the open day at York and loved it its absolutely beautiful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Congratulations on your place! I have an interview on Monday for children's nursing at York, was the group discussion about a difficult topic? and how long did your individual interview last? I'm dreading it!
Reply 5
Original post by Kegga123
Congratulations on your place! I have an interview on Monday for children's nursing at York, was the group discussion about a difficult topic? and how long did your individual interview last? I'm dreading it!

Thank you :smile:, and good luck for Monday you'll do fab, I found it very professionally and lovely, when I went from my interview this is how the day was set out:

When you get there you get given a badge with your name on it and either group A or group B on it, and in the room they had a table filled with cakes and biscuits as well as coffee and all sorts of tea which they tell you to help yourself to all day which I though was really quite a cute/nice relaxing touch it the day.

The first thing you do is give in your certificates, when everyone has arrived they then take a register, make sure everyone who wants drinks etc has got them, and then do a presentation about how the course and the uni is

Next you are split into your groups either A or B, I was a B. Our group was lead out of the room and into another room (there was about 10 in a group) there we all sat around a table and there was around 5 professionals in the room, each had two individuals to watch during the group discussion, they tell you who is looking out for you. They then put a 2-3 min video clip from YouTube on the board, our clip was a elderly man taking about the care he is given in a nursing home and how he knows how busy the nurses there are but doesn't like to bother them much. When the clip finished we had to discuss what we thought of it between ourselfs, we were then give 4/5 questions and just discussed them as well.

Then we went back to the original room for a 5 min break. Then our group (group B) went on a campus tour, while group A had their individual interviews. The campus tour lasted just over an hour, we got shown lots of the campus and what it has to offer ( and it's so beautiful) then when we got back we had our individuals interviews and group A had their campus tour. Your individual interview is carried out by the person who had watched you during the group discussion/interview as well as and another professional. I found this so laid back, this interview took place in another building round the corner, they asked questions like why I want to be a child's nurse, what's my inspiration, if I had any experience and then if I had any questions. Once your individual interview is done you can go home, I was there from 12 till around 4:30. It was the only interview which I've been really positive about due to how lovely and laid back it was. I found out 2 days later about my place as well which was a shock but I'm over the moon.

In sure you'll do fab, if you want to ask my anything else just private message me and add my on facebook. Be yourself and you will do great, best of luck let me know how it goes x
Reply 6
I have an interview at the beginning of February, what questions are asked?
Original post by Chelsea1996
Hi there, I've been offered a place for child nursing at the University of York starting in Oct 2015, i'm just wondering if anyone else has applied for child nursing or any other nursing here, also wondering if anyone else has a place?

Hi! Just wondered if I could ask how long it took for York to get back to you? I sent my application in November and I still haven't heard anything yet! Its the last one I'm waiting for, I also wanted to ask if there was a group interview and the type of questions they asked?

Original post by Chelsea1996

Hey, I've deferred my place and am going to be going to York September 2015, I'm studying adult nursing and would love to get know anyone else doing nursing, I would love you to Inbox me if you fancy a chat or anyone else doing nursing this year x
Reply 9
Original post by kayleighhbell_
Hi! Just wondered if I could ask how long it took for York to get back to you? I sent my application in November and I still haven't heard anything yet! Its the last one I'm waiting for, I also wanted to ask if there was a group interview and the type of questions they asked?

Hello, I sent my application off in oct and by the end of nov I still hadn't heard so I rang them up. They told me I had an interview but it mustn't have gone on my Ucas. If I was you, I'd give them a ring and just ask how long until you'll find out if you was successful for an interview (this is what I did & they sorted it over the phone for me, and them emailed and posted everything). As regards to the group discussion part they put a 2/3min YouTube video clip on and just asked us to discuss what we felt about it. Our clip was an elderly man in a care home saying how he wishes he received more time and personal care but he understands the nurses are busy. So we had to discuss this and say what we thought about it etc. In your interview it is all types of nursing applicants and in the group one member of staff is assigned to watch 2 applicants. They tell you who is looking out for you as well so you know. Give them a ring and let me know how it goes good luck x
Reply 10
Original post by Elliedavies
Hey, I've deferred my place and am going to be going to York September 2015, I'm studying adult nursing and would love to get know anyone else doing nursing, I would love you to Inbox me if you fancy a chat or anyone else doing nursing this year x

Hello, that's fab that your staring this year too. As I know all nursing students are put together in accommodation, I'd love to get to know you. If you dm me I will send you my facebook link and we can speak more there :smile: well done on your place as well xxx
Reply 11
Original post by Elliedavies

This is my facebook if you'd like to add me :smile: https://m.facebook.com/chelsea.edge15?ref=bookmark x
Reply 12
I have an interview at york on the 7th of feb does anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by kregan1
I have an interview at york on the 7th of feb does anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
Can I ask when you submitted your UCAS? And how long after that you got offered an interview?
Cheers!
Reply 14
Original post by sssjay22
Hi!
Can I ask when you submitted your UCAS? And how long after that you got offered an interview?
Cheers!

Hi i sent my UCAS off early december and heard back mid way through january so about 6/7 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by kregan1
Hi i sent my UCAS off early december and heard back mid way through january so about 6/7 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, I sent my Ucas off at the beginning of oct, I heard back from edgehill about 2/3 weeks later, then Preston in November and I still hadn't heard from York, and this is where I really wanted I so in December I rang them to ask if I had an interview as it had been longer than 6-10 weeks and on the site they say they try to get in touch with you within 10 weeks of sending your application. When I rang york they said I had an interview but it mustn't have gone on my ucas. I had my York interview on mon 15th dec and was offered a place on Wednesday the 17th dec. so it took just two days to be offered a place. Hope this helps x
Reply 16
Original post by lorn.
I have an interview at the beginning of February, what questions are asked?

For mine they played a YouTube clip of a elderly man with dementia and we were asked to discuss it ( this is for the group) and then for the individual they asked what experience you have, about the 5 Cs, why you want to study it and why that uni and that's about it really x. Also there is no maths or English test 👌👌
Reply 17
Original post by kregan1
oooh thank you thats made me feel a lot more positive! i shall contact them after the christmas holidays as im sure no one will reply during😂 I have an interview at birmingham in january and it sounds the same as that so hopefully ill get some practice in☺ I went to the open day at York and loved it its absolutely beautiful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me know how it all goes x
Reply 18
Original post by kayleighhbell_

Hello there, I sent my ucas off at the beginning of October and by December I still hadn't heard anything, on yorks website it says they try to contact you within 6-10 weeks, as it had been more than this time, I rang them and they told me I had an interview schedules and it obviously hadn't gone onto my ucas for some reason. So they asked for my address and email and sent me everything that way. I then had my interview on Monday 15th dec and heard I had a place on Wednesday 17th dec so only two days after which was a shock.

In the group interview they placed my group a YouTube clip of an elderly man in a care home with dementia taking about the care he received. We then just had to discuss it, if you look further up the thread I think I've explained in more detail about the lay out of the day as well.

For the individual interviews it's just general questions, why you want to be a child's nurse, why that uni, what experience do you have, the 5 Cs, what qualities you carry.

Also you don't have to do a maths or an English test, and the way the interview you is just laid out so professionally it's just a lovely day.

Good luck with everything, keep me informed with how it all goes for you x
Reply 19
does anyone have an interview on saturday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending