The Student Room Group

Depressed and I've missed two months of university.

I've missed two months of university.

I've been feeling really down, unmotivated, helpless, hopeless, pointless, lazy, boring, guilty, and like everything I'm going to do is going to turn out bad. My mum persuaded me to make an appointment with the doctor and I've been diagnosed as depressed. The gp gave me medication and a number to call for counselling.

I'm in my third year of a teaching degree and I have a deadline in 2 weeks time. I'm also supposed to be collecting data for another module (research project), but I haven't done anything and it's supposed to be completed - and that includes all the data analysed - by the end of March (the final deadline is the end of April).

I'm so behind in all my work and I feel like I can't approach my personal development tutor. I did email her and set up a meeting, but the only day she is available is on the day my assignment is due in and I feel like that's too late.

As this is my final year, it's crucial that I get good grades. I've already handed in one assignment and the grade I got on that was disappointing so if I don't do well in my next few assignments it will bring my entire final % for the year down.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I feel like I won't be able to catch up in time and I don't want to drop out of university altogether.

Please help, I'm desperate.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaykayM

Definately speak to the doctor. Get your friends advice to take your mind off other things and to focus on work. if you really feel you won't make the deadlines speak to the university and see if you can defer for a year?

It can get really pressured/tough to finish work on time. Know there are people who have completed the course under the same pressure and get motivation from them.
Original post by kaykayM

I've been feeling really down, unmotivated, helpless, hopeless, pointless, lazy, boring, guilty, and like everything I'm going to do is going to turn out bad. My mum persuaded me to make an appointment with the doctor and I've been diagnosed as depressed. The gp gave me medication and a number to call for counselling.

I'm in my third year of a teaching degree and I have a deadline in 2 weeks time. I'm also supposed to be collecting data for another module (research project), but I haven't done anything and it's supposed to be completed - and that includes all the data analysed - by the end of March (the final deadline is the end of April).

I'm so behind in all my work and I feel like I can't approach my personal development tutor. I did email her and set up a meeting, but the only day she is available is on the day my assignment is due in and I feel like that's too late.

As this is my final year, it's crucial that I get good grades. I've already handed in one assignment and the grade I got on that was disappointing so if I don't do well in my next few assignments it will bring my entire final % for the year down.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I feel like I won't be able to catch up in time and I don't want to drop out of university altogether.

Please help, I'm desperate.

Thank you.

I was feeling the same way you are last year. It was horrible, all the things that used to make me happy just did nothing for me anymore. I was always bored and sad, and I was so unmotivated to do any of my work because I had no goal for which I was aiming. When I think back on that period it almost feels like a dream and that it didn't really happen, because nothing ever really made me care enough to remember it. Honestly, if you feel like this now, it means your current path isn't working and you have to change it, or you need a new outlook on what you really want. The deadline issue is a problem but if you genuinely work from now until it's due, ignoring however much you don't want to do it, you will probably meet the date with the work finished. So sit by yourself for a few hours, ask yourself, honestly, if this teaching degree is what you want. There's no magical formula I can give you to solve all your problems, but take it step by step, and let me know what you decide.
Reply 3
Original post by Yellow Sonic
Definately speak to the doctor. Get your friends advice to take your mind off other things and to focus on work. if you really feel you won't make the deadlines speak to the university and see if you can defer for a year?

It can get really pressured/tough to finish work on time. Know there are people who have completed the course under the same pressure and get motivation from them.

Thank you. It's just difficult getting that motivation in the first place. I'm not sure if deferring is an option, though I have looked into getting an extension on my assignments. I was hoping my personal tutor would be helpful in terms of the extension, but they haven't been.
Reply 4
Original post by corey7695
I was feeling the same way you are last year. It was horrible, all the things that used to make me happy just did nothing for me anymore. I was always bored and sad, and I was so unmotivated to do any of my work because I had no goal for which I was aiming. When I think back on that period it almost feels like a dream and that it didn't really happen, because nothing ever really made me care enough to remember it. Honestly, if you feel like this now, it means your current path isn't working and you have to change it, or you need a new outlook on what you really want. The deadline issue is a problem but if you genuinely work from now until it's due, ignoring however much you don't want to do it, you will probably meet the date with the work finished. So sit by yourself for a few hours, ask yourself, honestly, if this teaching degree is what you want. There's no magical formula I can give you to solve all your problems, but take it step by step, and let me know what you decide.

I know I definitely want to work with children and I've always wanted to. I'm planning on a gap year following this degree to help me really work out want I want to do.

Just getting the motivation to do the work towards my assignments is the difficult part. I just feel like I get bursts of energy and then when it comes down to actually starting something, I just can't because I feel like it won't be good enough.
Original post by kaykayM
I know I definitely want to work with children and I've always wanted to. I'm planning on a gap year following this degree to help me really work out want I want to do.

Just getting the motivation to do the work towards my assignments is the difficult part. I just feel like I get bursts of energy and then when it comes down to actually starting something, I just can't because I feel like it won't be good enough.

Ah, so more of a self confidence issue. Did you start the course with more of a positive attitude and regressed into this, or start like it from the get go?
Original post by kaykayM
Thank you. It's just difficult getting that motivation in the first place. I'm not sure if deferring is an option, though I have looked into getting an extension on my assignments. I was hoping my personal tutor would be helpful in terms of the extension, but they haven't been.

Did you explain the situation to your personal tutor? It can help to get the department head involved or the university HR . Not all personal tutors realise the severity of such situations.

And for the motivation part, working in the library or at uni where people are working always helped me. what helps you get work done ?
Reply 7
Did you explain the situation to your personal tutor? It can help to get the department head involved or the university HR . Not all personal tutors realise the severity of such situations.

And for the motivation part, working in the library or at uni where people are working always helped me. what helps you get work done ?

Working in the library sounds like a good idea.

Well I just emailed her asking for a meeting as I was hoping to explain the situation in person rather than through an email, but now I'm thinking I might have to explain it in an email if that's the only way I can get a faster response.
Original post by kaykayM
Working in the library sounds like a good idea.

Well I just emailed her asking for a meeting as I was hoping to explain the situation in person rather than through an email, but now I'm thinking I might have to explain it in an email if that's the only way I can get a faster response.

:smile:.
Yes or I would suggest to even try and drop a call ( a few times) .
Reply 9
Ah, so more of a self confidence issue. Did you start the course with more of a positive attitude and regressed into this, or start like it from the get go?

I think it's low self-esteem, well that's what my mum says.
I was fine at the start of the course because felt like as long as I worked hard, I could get a good grade.
I did a foundation degree, passed that. Then I joined the 3rd year of a BA (Hons) course as a top-up student. I think because I was new and things were different, you don't know how lecturers will mark your work so you feel a little intimidated, but I was fine up until after my first deadline. I think because I was disappointed with what I handed in because I knew I could do better.

Are you a psychology student or a psychologist?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
:smile:.
Yes or I would suggest to even try and drop a call ( a few times) .

I think I'll do exactly that.

Thank you. :h:
Original post by kaykayM
I think it's low self-esteem, well that's what my mum says.
I was fine at the start of the course because felt like as long as I worked hard, I could get a good grade.
I did a foundation degree, passed that. Then I joined the 3rd year of a BA (Hons) course as a top-up student. I think because I was new and things were different, you don't know how lecturers will mark your work so you feel a little intimidated, but I was fine up until after my first deadline. I think because I was disappointed with what I handed in because I knew I could do better.

Are you a psychology student or a psychologist?

Haha no I'm neither, just seemed like you needed someone to talk to.
So thats good, you passed your foundation degree, but how come you joined directly onto a 3rd year class from a foundation course?
Reply 12
Haha no I'm neither, just seemed like you needed someone to talk to.
So thats good, you passed your foundation degree, but how come you joined directly onto a 3rd year class from a foundation course?

Oh, aha, just seemed like you were from your questions.
Because it was an option and it meant that I'd end up with the same degree after having taking the "easier" route. The majority of people who did my foundation course followed it with a top-up.
Original post by kaykayM
Oh, aha, just seemed like you were from your questions.
Because it was an option and it meant that I'd end up with the same degree after having taking the "easier" route. The majority of people who did my foundation course followed it with a top-up.

Well I think 3rd year is significantly more time consuming regarding the amount of work you have to do, and so most people have the 1st and 2nd to build up to it, especially since the 1st year doesn't even count to your final grade most of the time. Maybe you could try the full 3 year course so you can really get used to the workload, and it would also give you more time to think about what you want. Obviously this way might be a tad inconvenient if it's even possible at all, but maybe look into that?
Reply 14
Well I think 3rd year is significantly more time consuming regarding the amount of work you have to do, and so most people have the 1st and 2nd to build up to it, especially since the 1st year doesn't even count to your final grade most of the time. Maybe you could try the full 3 year course so you can really get used to the workload, and it would also give you more time to think about what you want. Obviously this way might be a tad inconvenient if it's even possible at all, but maybe look into that?

That would mean dropping everything and starting over, which isn't an option. But thanks for all the advice, you've been great. :smile:
I think I'm gonna try explaining everything in an email to my PDT and getting an extension on my assignments, that should (hopefully) give me some time to deal with everything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaykayM
That would mean dropping everything and started over, which isn't an option. But thanks for all the advice, you've been great. :smile:
I think I'm gonna try explaining everything in an email to my PDT and getting an extension on my assignments, that should (hopefully) give me some time to deal with everything.

Yeah sounds good, sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I'm not even in uni yet so don't know too much. Glad to help out anyway and good luck:smile:
Reply 16
Yeah sounds good, sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I'm not even in uni yet so don't know too much. Glad to help out anyway and good luck:smile:

Aw, aha, well you've been great.

If you need any uni advice, you can always ask. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by kaykayM
x

You'll likely need doctors evidence (letter perhaps) for the PMC process which should give you an extension. You should know the PMC procedure though though or be able to look it up? If you have the evidence, the extension should be easy enough to get.

That said, perhaps you'd be better off stopping for now and redoing the year next year if you really can't cope?
Reply 18
Original post by samba
You'll likely need doctors evidence (letter perhaps) for the PMC process which should give you an extension. You should know the PMC procedure though though or be able to look it up? If you have the evidence, the extension should be easy enough to get.

That said, perhaps you'd be better off stopping for now and redoing the year next year if you really can't cope?

I don't know if I can do that, I'll have to look into it. Hopefully it won't take too long for a counselling session and the meds help.
Reply 19
Original post by kaykayM
I don't know if I can do that, I'll have to look into it. Hopefully it won't take too long for a counselling session and the meds help.

Meds and counselling won't be a magic fix all, especially when you're struggling with the motivation to see tutors/get out of the house. Gotta be kind to yourself too and not beat yourself up too much about things. Baby steps, try to make one a day or so. Do you live with your mum?

Quick Reply

Latest