The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paulie'sGirl

Brilliant Stuff there PG. Just to let you know from information I have found, Cardiff consider you for the 6 year program with A2M from TMC.
Hello! I got an interview letter in the post this morning :biggrin:

I've had a few more responses for admissions teams, so I'll update the list over the next few days. If anyone else has stuff to add to it please post and I'll add it on

Best,

PGxx
Original post by Swist
OMS - I finished my access course last June in pretty much exactly the same situation as you (ex-military, unrelated job).

Now in my second year of medical school, really enjoying it. Let me know if you need any info.

edit: I re-sat Maths and English to go from C/C to A/A* respectively, but didn't need to resit science.

wow so inspiring, so do you definitely have to have Maths/English GCSE to do the access course and did you go straight into Medical school after your foundation
Has anybody who's gained a place on this course thought about doing chemistry As level along side of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I have a telephone interview monday does anybody have any advice about what questions etc they are likely to ask?
Any help is really appreciated 😁😁
It's really laid Back. What experience do You have. Career goals. They ask about your grades. it's really chilled! Good luck
Reply 46
Hi All
Honestly seen all comments here!
I have a interview on 9 March In manchester college. But my circumstances is completely different.i was in medical uni on 2007 but
I left it went to the army & I'm fully qualify
Helicopter pilot.but honestly since I was very young I loved to become a doctor after high school.i left my job that I had & have plan
To get back to uni to complete my medicine
I spoke with Manch college and they have gave me an interview in March.
I'm a bit nervous bcoz since 2006 I haven't done any maths means in science.
I have received a letter from college said u
Have an interview for a hour didn't mention
Is there any assessment test or not.
Any one knows anything about interview or
Test? It would kindness

Best regards
Has anyone else been offered/ applied for any other access to medicine courses?
Reply 48
Hi all...

New poster here - I had an interview for the access course yesterday and was also told I was successful! Looking forward to getting started in September :smile:

I'll be at Northenden campus, so hope to see some of you there!

Rach x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Does anyone know if you need GCSE Chemistry to apply for Medicine, or do universities accept Access to Medicine as an alternative?

I am a little worried because most universities' entry requirements seems to say they want all 3 sciences at GCSE, and I only did Physics and Biology GCSE. Would I need to sit GCSE Chemistry in addition to A2M?

Thanks! Shalil
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Hello, I wanted to ask you some information about the course access to medicine.
I am 18 and soon I'll be 19.
I just applied to this course and I'm waiting for them reply.
Can you explain me all the procedure?
How did you get in to this course?Entry requirements? When did you do the UKCAT? How did you study for the UKCAT test? Any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
How and when did apply for medical school? Which universities? Work experience?
Thanks a lot.
Looking forward for your reply!
Reply 51
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask what the chances are of me being able to get into medical school.

I'm going to be 21 this year and am about to finish a BTEC level 3 in applied science with the predicted grades of D*D*D*. I did GCSE maths and English last year (not resits) and got an A* in maths and an A in English. I'm seriously considering doing an access to medicine this September but the thing is I don't have GCSE's in biology, chemistry or physics, the only relevant qualifications I have for medicine are the ones above, obviously doing applied science there is quite a bit of biology and chemistry involved and is (supposedly) the equivalent to 3 A-levels but I want to know if these qualifications along with doing an access to medicine would be enough to apply for medicine? I've had a look at the university of manchester site and I've seen they have a foundation year which I'm willing to do but it's not really clear on what exactly the entry requirements are for those with non-standard qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by goodwinning
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask what the chances are of me being able to get into medical school.

I'm going to be 21 this year and am about to finish a BTEC level 3 in applied science with the predicted grades of D*D*D*. I did GCSE maths and English last year (not resits) and got an A* in maths and an A in English. I'm seriously considering doing an access to medicine this September but the thing is I don't have GCSE's in biology, chemistry or physics, the only relevant qualifications I have for medicine are the ones above, obviously doing applied science there is quite a bit of biology and chemistry involved and is (supposedly) the equivalent to 3 A-levels but I want to know if these qualifications along with doing an access to medicine would be enough to apply for medicine? I've had a look at the university of manchester site and I've seen they have a foundation year which I'm willing to do but it's not really clear on what exactly the entry requirements are for those with non-standard qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should contact universities you're interested in applying to, explain your situation and the qualifications you have and ask their advice, as they're normally really helpful!
Reply 53
Hey peeps,
ive just applied to st johns for A2M,
i have also applied to CANDI, Lambeth and COWA (interview day may 11th) and will be applying at SD after there info day on the 21st,
i think its fair to say i definately want to ensure i get a place :|
im also an ex military mature student at 35 but never to old :smile: !

What are your thoughts on the different courses ?
how are you peeps planning on supporting yourself through the duration of the course savings ? housing benift ? job seakers ? learners discreshionary fund ?
(ill apologise now for poor spelling im real lazy when typing :P
Hi everyone,

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it helped in my decision to apply to the A2M at St Johns tonight.

Not sure if there are still any places left though... Fingers crossed. Will keep you posted if I get an interview.

I'm real old! 42. Ex lawyer and now accountant. Did OK at GCSEs, very good at A levels, good degree BUT only have one science: GCSE Physics (B). Looks like I will be doing some GCSEs alongside A2M if I get on.

BTW I'm only trying to get into Manchester Uni due to family commitments and the commute would be long as it is. Waiting to hear back from admissions about the GCSE sciences situation.

Have a great weekend!
Reply 55
Well done and good luck :smile:
Why not speak to the admissions at the universities you can attend maybe if you scored well enough on the GAMSAT you could apply to medicine this year ? If not it definately worth talking to them about there GCSE requirments :smile:
Hiya,

Manchester Uni have confirmed that I won't need to do GCSE Chemistry or Biology if I complete the A2M course:smile:. Although they helpfully suggested I still take them alongside the A2M course if I want to apply to other Universities.

Manchester College have confirmed they have my application so now its a question of waiting for the tutors to get in touch.
Pete3546 - any news from St Johns?
Reply 58
That's great news dr s I'm still waiting nothing heard yet :/
Don't forget its half term at the minute, nobody will be in until next week so don't do any worrying just yet!

Latest

Trending

Trending