The Student Room Group

America will train Neo-Nazi 'Azov' Battalion in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Better than helping the rebels.
I think America is faced with an option of training a militia that you don't really like or sit back and let a world power invade a country on the border with Europe. It's not an ideal situation but it's got to be better than doing nothing.

Plus politics in Ukraine aren't the same as here - extreme right views are much more common (at least that's my observation).
Reply 3
Wtf. No one should train Nazis, the fact there are Nazis on the rebel side at all makes them questionable.
Reply 4
Original post by Manitude
I think America is faced with an option of training a militia that you don't really like or sit back and let a world power invade a country on the border with Europe. It's not an ideal situation but it's got to be better than doing nothing.

Plus politics in Ukraine aren't the same as here - extreme right views are much more common (at least that's my observation).

So you train paramilitary Neo-Nazis when you could just train the Ukrainian armed forces ?

Where's the logic in that ? Doesn't matter whether they like them or not America backs Nazi elements and a government supporting nazi elements this should be headline news everywhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PowelliteScum :)
Better than helping the rebels.

If from one day to the next Neo-Nazis fought alongside the US military what would your reaction be ?
Original post by Rovey
If from one day to the next Neo-Nazis fought alongside the US military what would your reaction be ?

I don't like neo-Nazis siding with the USA?
Reply 7
I don't like neo-Nazis siding with the USA?

But you don't mind America collaborating with Neo-Nazis against Russia ?

Um, the options are not so limited. They can always train the regular armed forces, or simply authorise NATO intervention. But their President is weak, helpless and incompetent, so he will end up blundering into more conflict later on, and doing almost everything possible to undermine his own position.
Original post by Rovey
But you don't mind America collaborating with Neo-Nazis against Russia ?

No, I do mind. But America collaborating with them and keeping them under the thumb is better than letting them run riot.
The Kremlin is spending very large amounts of money on spreading misinformation globally about Ukraine, some of which is working. So it's sometimes hard to be sure of any alleged facts coming out of Ukraine, Russia or surrounding countries.

However, given that the US military journal, Stars and Stripes, has confirmed this story, it seems to be correct!
http://www.stripes.com/us-forces-to-hold-exercises-in-ukraine-1.337639

Pretty bizarre stuff. The Azov are basically like Jean Marie le Pen was put in charge of the Household Cavalry and persuaded them to don the symbols of Vichy France.
Reply 11
No, I do mind. But America collaborating with them and keeping them under the thumb is better than letting them run riot.

Run riot ?

We're talking about a state-funded, Neo-Nazi paramilitary force. They already are running riot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank God the Eastern Ukrainians have seceded from this mess.

Right up to the point the nut cases you supplied guns crash a plane into your trade centre.

America also has a strong history of funding fascists.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by whorace
Wtf. No one should train Nazis, the fact there are Nazis on the rebel side at all makes them questionable.

Nobody other than pro Putin sock puppets is calling them Nazis.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Right up to the point the nut cases you supplied guns crash a plane into your trade centre.

America also has a strong history of funding fascists.

Care to share?
Original post by The Dictator
Thank God the Eastern Ukrainians have seceded from this mess.

I know right! Nothing like the presence of a thousand armed Russian soldiers to ensure a fair referendum.
The azov battalion are unpleasant nationalists that hate Russia only slightly more than they hate the EU. They are allegedly good fighters though which Ukraine will need if it is to survive the Russian onslaught.
Original post by Davij038
I know right! Nothing like the presence of a thousand armed Russian soldiers to ensure a fair referendum.

Who should it have been? Ukrainian armed soldiers? NATO armed soldiers? UN armed soldiers? Come on. We all know that internationalism doesn't work.

Furthermore, it isn't like the Ukrainian government went out of its way to provoke the paranoia of the Russian minority by including neo-Nazis in its government and scrapping Russian's special status in the constitution.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Nobody other than pro Putin sock puppets is calling them Nazis.

They are Nazis, whether you like it or not. Objectively studied, they are Nazis.

So why are we cheering them on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending