The Student Room Group

I really struggle to articulate myself

I've noticed that I really struggle to articulate myself verbally. I just find it so difficult to translate my thoughts into words. They come out all fragmented and jumbled. I frequently can't find the words I'm looking for, and pause and correct myself a lot.

I find it particularly hard to formulate arguments and express my opinions. It's like I just draw a blank and can't string them together.

It's the same when I try and write an essay. I waste so much time shuffling around sentences and rewording them again and again until they feel 'right'... even if they were grammatically correct and made sense in the first place.

I don't find typing stuff like this difficult, probably because I don't feel any pressure for it to sound good.

Any tips for how to get over this?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Practice it more and do in environments yu are comfortable in. Try it over voice chat with people online first? Try it with your family, then friends, then push yourself and do it with strangers you meet in random classes, eventually do talks and receive arbitrary questions... At that point you'll be fine haha.
Read a hell of a lot.
your username is just perfect for this thread
Reply 4
Original post by + polarity -
your username is just perfect for this thread

Hahaha only just noticed! :laugh:
Reply 5
Original post by TorpidPhil
Practice it more and do in environments yu are comfortable in. Try it over voice chat with people online first? Try it with your family, then friends, then push yourself and do it with strangers you meet in random classes, eventually do talks and receive arbitrary questions... At that point you'll be fine haha.

Practice talking more? Surely I've been practicing my whole life? I'm reasonably quiet... so do you reckon I should just force myself to be more talkative and that it'll help improve it?
Reply 6
Original post by Dr Pesto
Read a hell of a lot.

I plan to read loadsss in the summer, don't have any time at the moment to read fiction. I might also start a blog or something so I can practice writing more.

Hopefully that helps :s-smilie:
Original post by ummm
Practice talking more? Surely I've been practicing my whole life? I'm reasonably quiet... so do you reckon I should just force myself to be more talkative and that it'll help improve it?

Not talking more. Debating more. Talking with meaning. Not small talk. Talking with assertion, like you know you are right and they are wrong and you will prove them so. That sort of talk.

And read lots of persuasive writing, that is, non-fiction that is trying to argue a point.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TorpidPhil
Not talking more. Debating more. Talking with meaning. Not small talk. Talking with assertion, like you know you are right and they are wrong and you will prove them so. That sort of talk.

And read lots of persuasive writing, that is, non-fiction that is trying to argue a point.

Ah, okay, that makes a lot more sense haha.

I think a lot of my problem probably stems from not being assertive enough. I always tend to trail off when I think I'm not interesting someone or that they disagree with me.

Any persuasive writing in particular you recommend?
Original post by ummm
Ah, okay, that makes a lot more sense haha.

I think a lot of my problem probably stems from not being assertive enough. I always tend to trail off when I think I'm not interesting someone or that they disagree with me.

Any persuasive writing in particular you recommend?

No. That would depend on what sot of subjects interest you ^^
Is this based on anything else do you think? Are you a very anxious / nervous / reserved person in general? Often people know what they want to say and do so well when they're typing / texting (like you've conveyed very well in your OP) but have difficulty doing it when it's around people.

Your OP described me to a tee, but after I went to therapy to get help for the anxiety I became just as good as anyone. Obviously my scenario might be more extreme than yours, a definite possibility, but just giving my experience on what I felt really helped me with the huge issue of articulation and whatnot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by YesAllMen
Is this based on anything else do you think? Are you a very anxious / nervous / reserved person in general? Often people know what they want to say and do so well when they're typing / texting (like you've conveyed very well in your OP) but have difficulty doing it when it's around people.

Your OP described me to a tee, but after I went to therapy to get help for the anxiety I became just as good as anyone. Obviously my scenario might be more extreme than yours, a definite possibility, but just giving my experience on what I felt really helped me with the huge issue of articulation and whatnot.

Yeah, I am pretty anxious and reserved in general! I really want to overcome this and my issues with anxiety in social situations. What did your therapy involve? How did you know you were suffering from anxiety?

It's reassuring to hear you were able to overcome this :smile:
As do I except on paper. That's because my friend regularly tells me to shut up and that I have terrible opinions (on comics and films) when I try to express them. (Was just about to make my own thread on this) I also spent my childhood being talked down to and called retarded and gullible. Were you also bullied OP?
(edited 9 years ago)
I am the same as you OP and I find it very annoying. I'm naturally shy in certain situations such as being in meetings and around large groups of people. I am confident in front of my friends, but when it comes to debates, serious conversations, meetings, talking in front of people I don't know or large groups, I find it very hard to get my point across and articulate my self. I would also like to know how to improve on this so I will be watching this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is English your second language? I have the same problem therefore i hate getting essays for homework, i hate public speaking....
I've noticed I've been a lot like that in the past couple of years, struggling to articulate and carry out conversations and constantly forget words and struggle to find a replacement.

No idea why I'm all of a sudden like this, and it's got nothing to do with not practising enough I talk a lot and I read a lot.
Reply 16
Original post by pagorai
Is English your second language? I have the same problem therefore i hate getting essays for homework, i hate public speaking....

Nope, it's my first language! I can imagine it being much harder if it's not!
Reply 17
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
As do I except on paper. That's because my friend regularly tells me to shut up and that I have terrible opinions (on comics and films) when I try to express them. (Was just about to make my own thread on this) I also spent my childhood being talked down to and called retarded and gullible. Were you also bullied OP?

That's horrible - I'm sorry you've had to deal with that. I don't really think that person is a true friend if they're always putting you down! I'd try to distance yourself from them.

Luckily I haven't been bullied. I've just always felt like this.
Reply 18
Original post by ukstudent1989
I am the same as you OP and I find it very annoying. I'm naturally shy in certain situations such as being in meetings and around large groups of people. I am confident in front of my friends, but when it comes to debates, serious conversations, meetings, talking in front of people I don't know or large groups, I find it very hard to get my point across and articulate my self. I would also like to know how to improve on this so I will be watching this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's nice to know I'm not the only person! I struggle even when I'm just with close friends as well though. I'm definitely more shy and reserved in bigger groups, and more formal settings though, which makes it worse!
Original post by ummm
Nope, it's my first language! I can imagine it being much harder if it's not!

oh right...lol Did you recently develop this problem or.?

Latest

Trending

Trending