The Student Room Group

is it possible to study ib diploma in one year?

if I start studying in summer vacation. is it possible to study the ib diploma in one year? given i study 4-5 hours a day.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Kastella
if I start studying in summer vacation. is it possible to study the ib diploma in one year? given i study 4-5 hours a day.

It's perfectly possible if you can put the work in, have the time to do it, and are good enough at understanding the subject. Good luck if you do choose to do it!
You could probably cover the syllabus material if you want, and you might get through most of it, but you wouldn't get the actual diploma.

You need to have a certain number of teaching hours per subject and for sciences a certain amount of lab time. You also need to do coursework that has to be assessed by a teacher of that subject, and a group project where you'd need a group. You also need to do community service, physical activity and a creative activity evenly divided across roughly 150 hours minimum, or split into a variety of projects.

There are lots of reasons the IB is a 2 year thing. But if you just want to look at the material... no reason why not. If you only have a year to get some qualifications, you should do some intensive A Levels.

The IB is actually a pretty hard course.
(edited 8 years ago)
if your 4-5 hours is on a school day, that is, afterschool you spend 4-5 hours studying, i think it's reasonable you would be able to, if you're relatively intelligent.
However, there's also CAS - and you have to do group 4 project etc.
I don't really think you'd want to rush it into 1 year. You'd probably want some time to yourself, some breathing room away from school/studying. On a side note, I've heard of someone in a friend's school who was able to get into uni in their first year with their predicted grade - one year before they actually took their IB real exams.
Yes, it is definitely possible. I know a school outside the UK that teaches its IB students the whole curriculum in one year and spends the next year giving them mock exams.
Reply 6
It's not possible to get the IB Diploma in just 1 year, the IBO states that in order to take the Diploma exams the students must have studied the subjects for the required number of hours, i.e. 2 years. The only exception is what is termed an "anticipated" subject: you can take the exams for an SL subject after 1 year instead of 2 and have it count towards your final diploma. But you can only do this with one SL subject.
If you want to get a qualification in just one year, look at A Levels or APs. Both of these you can take as a private candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending