The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Why don't normal people know Warwick?

Whenever I tell people I'm going to Warwick next year, I get the reply "that's in the Midlands, right", "never heard of it" or something similar. Why is no one like "shiiiiiiiiiiit well done!". Whenever people are like "never heard of it", I feel like whipping out league table and showing them how good it is, so they can fully know how amazing I am and my arrogance can be refilled. Anyone else having this problem?
Reply 1
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Ha.

Most 'normal' people just know of major cities like Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Sheffield, London etc. People always assumed I was at the ex-poly in my city because it was the local thing that most local people went to. Also, no one cares.
Reply 3
Because the Uni isn't even in Warwick, which doesn't help.
Fundamentally Warwick is a renowned and prestigious institution, which is reflected by the profound volume of academic powerhouses, and intellectual heavyweights.
Reply 6
Original post by a96clark
Whenever I tell people I'm going to Warwick next year, I get the reply "that's in the Midlands, right", "never heard of it" or something similar. Why is no one like "shiiiiiiiiiiit well done!". Whenever people are like "never heard of it", I feel like whipping out league table and showing them how good it is, so they can fully know how amazing I am and my arrogance can be refilled. Anyone else having this problem?

haha i get that a lot too!
Because Warwick isn't in the south, doesn't have a premier league football team, and isn't Birmingham.
Reply 8
Whenever I tell people I go to Warwick, they ask me if its by the castle! I thought it was a fairly well known one to be fair, most people know of it. A couple of people will go wow or thats so good but I guess its not as well known as some of the other top 10 unis.
(edited 8 years ago)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3420113

After reading this post, it does show how well known Warwick is even in the states. Well, well known to those who are really into higher education :smile:
It's only known if you're bothered about university level education; but those sorts of people are likely to have heard of London Met and UEL too..

Most regular people will only be able to name Oxbridge and universities named after major UK cities and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Not everyone thinks university is everything perhaps?
As it's not a big deal. Other than the business school the university is average.

Come @ me!
Reply 14
Original post by iAmanze
As it's not a big deal. Other than the business school the university is average.

Come @ me!

I'd argue it's quite good at maths too. And it's consistently in the top 10 in rankings
Reply 15
People I know dont know what lse is either:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a beta uni full of Oxbridge rejects. Just go LSE and you may not stay a virgin for life
First, it is only 50 years old. Second, it is more exclusively known by employers and academics than members of the general public due to measures like a rapidly expanding business school and its general academic prowess.

The latter is even more impressive in the context of its aforementioned age. The point is, if you are concerned about its reputation then don't be because it is recognised by those who matter the most to your future.
Original post by a96clark

Most people don't know anything beyond eating nando's and supporting their favourite football team.
Reply 19
'normal' people generally won't have heard of any universities apart from Oxford, Cambridge and possibly a couple of local ones. Regular people don't spend hours trawling through university league tables every year just so that when the odd person tells them they're going to uni they can comment on it. Is it really that important to your ego to have people constantly complimenting you on your apparent academic superiority? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest