The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Anyone think that "Unite Students" dont know how to run student flats?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UNITE Student Accommodation
Hi luke93,

As I mentioned in my post to LilMonster, my names Frankie, I work for UNITE and I’m here on The Student Room to give help and advice about UNITE to TSR users.

We’ve got a number of payment options we can discuss if you feel you are going to struggle to make your first instalment before your loan comes in.

If you send me a PM with your full name and DOB I can have a look at your booking and arrange for someone to give you a call to talk you through some alternatives?

I hope this helps,

Frankie

how come when I phoned in, this was the only option i was given and said "on extreme cases" I'm obviously not the only one in this situation, why don't you do anything about it and charge AFTER we get paid our loans because the reason why I took out a loan in the first place was to pay for the accommodation.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by LilMonster
how come when I phoned in, this was the only option i was given and said "on extreme cases" I'm obviously not the only one in this situation, why don't you do anything about it and charge AFTER we get paid our loans because the reason why I took out a loan in the first place was to pay for the accommodation.

Hi LilMonster,

We will always look at each situation on a case by case basis and try to help where possible.

As a private landlord, we do require some payment up front, but appreciate, as you mentioned; many students use their loan to pay for their accommodation and loan dates can vary.

We’re working hard to find the best solution for everyone and listening to feedback on the subject.

In the meantime if you’d like to discuss this further, I can take your contact details and get someone to give you a call?

Frankie
Original post by UNITE Student Accommodation
Hi LilMonster,

We will always look at each situation on a case by case basis and try to help where possible.

As a private landlord, we do require some payment up front, but appreciate, as you mentioned; many students use their loan to pay for their accommodation and loan dates can vary.

We’re working hard to find the best solution for everyone and listening to feedback on the subject.

In the meantime if you’d like to discuss this further, I can take your contact details and get someone to give you a call?

Frankie

Thanks but I would like to avoid any hassle as everything is now sorted out, and the due date for it anyways was on the 3rd Sept.
I dont go to University of Huddersfield but the UNITE accommodation I stayed at was really good and far surpassed expectations.
Original post by LilMonster
Thanks but I would like to avoid any hassle as everything is now sorted out, and the due date for it anyways was on the 3rd Sept.

Of course, thanks for letting me know.

If you need anything you can always send me a message on here.

Thanks,

Frankie
Reply 25
Anyone staying in Pacific Court?
Reply 26
Thankfully I'm able to delay the full rent til I get my loan without paying £500, but I got a £35 bank charge because of their stupidly early rent demands. Thanks!
Reply 27
The staff at Firth Point are bullies

The only things that are good about Firth Point are that it is right next to the University of Huddersfield and the rent includes unlimited Internet, electricity, water and heating. Other than that, living Firth Point is worse than living at home if you have brothers and sisters you don't get on with.

The reception staff are bullies, if you stand up to them they are like "We're treating you the same as we treat everyone else" and other stupid excuses. If you have a disability (e.g. Asperger's Syndrome) they'd really bully you. One time they barged into my room and criticised me on how untidy my room was. I was in the middle of tidying it anyway.

I have Asperger's syndrome. We let them know from day one that I had it and when there was an incident we had a meeting and they accused us of not telling them about my Asperger's Syndrome. Also after the incident, one of the receptionists said I was not in trouble but then they gave me an "amber letter" which means one more incident and I'm out.

I wanted to stay near the Uni so I tried rebooking for next year but they wouldn't let me and that goes against the Disability Discrimination Act. They also sent a letter to my Guarantor accusing me of using illegal drugs when I've never even used any in my life. I have had enough of the bullying and harassment I have had from the Firth Point staff so I'm moving out!

So my word of advice to everyone is do not go to Firth Point or Snow Island in Huddersfield especially if you have autism.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by U0960946
I wrote this review on a review site back in December. I was kicked out from Firth Point for no reason by Unite but I feel much better at my new flat. If you want people who respect for you and look after you, I would recommend GoHaven.

Hi U0960946,

My name is Frankie - I work for UNITE.

I noticed your post and though I'd reply.

I'm sorry you feel this way about your time at Firth Point, it certainly isn't our intention.

We are always trying to improve our facilities for disabled students so if you would like to give us any more feedback you can email us on [email protected]

Thanks,
Frankie
Reply 29
It is interesting to see that this thread is still alive and that people are still have problems with UNITE. I thought I would mention (although I thought I already had somewhere) that when I left Snow Island I had a fine of about 60/70 pounds. What was this for? Well according to the list there was something like:

Unclean kitchen - which was ridiculous as we made sure it was clean, however we couldn't do anything about the giant mold patch that 1. wasn't our fault and 2. when we notified the staff about it, they just painted it over.....

A missing chair - there was the same amount of chairs that there had been at the start, so I don't know where they got that from.

Coat hangers in the cupboard - I left maybe 4 run of the mill coat hangers hanging up and they charged me 15 pounds to remove them.... wtf??

I am sure that there was a range of other things, but it was a while ago so I can't remember all the details. Anyway I disputed everything they said and I never got a follow up, but it seemed that they just didn't bother replying to the independent enquiry. I figure that they try do this with a large majority of students as they most likely rely on the students not bothering to claim it back or are unable to as they have moved back to their home countries.

Anyway this was a few years ago as I say and I don't blame the on-site staff for the year of hell I had to put up with. I am a little older and wiser now and if I went through what I had experience at Snow Island again I am sure that I would have sought out compensation

(I just realised I made another thread about snow island/ UNITE in which detailed how a faulty alarm, that was never repaired, caused me to experience one of many other disappointments in where I chose to live) So just to say that whoever works for UNITE, I hope you got your **** sorted.
Original post by fiori
It is interesting to see that this thread is still alive and that people are still have problems with UNITE. I thought I would mention (although I thought I already had somewhere) that when I left Snow Island I had a fine of about 60/70 pounds. What was this for? Well according to the list there was something like:

Unclean kitchen - which was ridiculous as we made sure it was clean, however we couldn't do anything about the giant mold patch that 1. wasn't our fault and 2. when we notified the staff about it, they just painted it over.....

A missing chair - there was the same amount of chairs that there had been at the start, so I don't know where they got that from.

Coat hangers in the cupboard - I left maybe 4 run of the mill coat hangers hanging up and they charged me 15 pounds to remove them.... wtf??

I am sure that there was a range of other things, but it was a while ago so I can't remember all the details. Anyway I disputed everything they said and I never got a follow up, but it seemed that they just didn't bother replying to the independent enquiry. I figure that they try do this with a large majority of students as they most likely rely on the students not bothering to claim it back or are unable to as they have moved back to their home countries.

Anyway this was a few years ago as I say and I don't blame the on-site staff for the year of hell I had to put up with. I am a little older and wiser now and if I went through what I had experience at Snow Island again I am sure that I would have sought out compensation

(I just realised I made another thread about snow island/ UNITE in which detailed how a faulty alarm, that was never repaired, caused me to experience one of many other disappointments in where I chose to live) So just to say that whoever works for UNITE, I hope you got your **** sorted.

Hi fiori,

My name is Frankie - I work for UNITE and I'm on TSR to give help and advice on all aspects of living with UNITE.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience when you lived with UNITE a few years ago.

All students deposits are now protected as part of the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme and we have worked hard to listen to and act on feedback from customers; both past and present to ensure we continue to improve our service.

Thank you for your feedback.

Frankie
Reply 31
I live at unite wellington lodge in london, the heating system has not been functional since December 13th and they are not doing anything about it. we have submitted a lot of complaints and they say yes yes we are going to fix it but they are not and they refuse even to give an approximate date for when the heating will be working again.
Reply 32
Doesn't matter what they say, becuase you've sent your acceptance of the offer within the specified time they are legally bound by their offer
Hi,

Im at Unite in Kirby Street London.
I have had many issues with my studio flat.
I'll list a few below;

-Massive windows in the room, but windows do not open. Just one tiny side window opens, slightly.There is no ventilation in the room, no air. really really hot.
Had to buy my own fan, its on all day and all night.
-Communal Washing facilities completely inadequate, only 3 washing machines and 3 dryers for around 150 students. most of the time I have to do my laundry at ridiculous hours, like 7 am or 1 am as they are all taken up. And if i leave my clothes in for 2 extra minutes after its finished, people that are waiting will take out the clothes and throw them on the floor.-Rent is incredibly high, i have tried numerous times to find someone to sublet my room but its useless as the rent value is substantially larger than the market value of the property. massive ripoff, as i can’t find anyone to sublet to, so can’t leave and have no choice but to carry on living here.-No ventilation in the bathroom, which leads to constant mould issues and those gross humidity bugs everywhere.-Last week, I came down in my pjs to do laundry at 8ish (finally had found a washing machine available at a normal time), and found that unite had organised a PARTY. Not a party for us students, but for corporate investors. The communal areas (courtyard and snooker room were closed for this event, we were not informed about this!!!) There were bout 40 people in suits, around the common areas and in the courtyard drinking beer. I was in my pyjamas doing laundry whilst the bankers were staring at me through the window. -Communication is difficult, I have tried communicating issues before and I’m just ignored.-Maintenance come in with no regards. Last week friday at 6pm, 2 men knocked once at my door and came in straight away and i was with my partner. we had no notice of this. apparently they were doing ‘maintenance work’ for the next tenants.-Kitchen is inadequate, the hobs are not strong, i don’t have an oven, its a combi. My kitchen caught fire last week, as i had a pizza in there for no more than 8 minutes. The fire alarm went off and had to evacuate the building. The extractor, which is above the hob is really badly placed above the unit. Im unable to press the buttons for the extraction fan.

I strongly regret renting from this company, and I feel like i was misinformed at the time i made my decision.
I really advise anyone to stay away from this company. at all costs.
Please read this! I am very disappointed as well and I wrote a very detailed post on why.

1. The price - Extremely overpriced
You can find somewhere that is very central without such a hefty price tag e.g. Nido Liverpool street. The cheapest Kirby room is 340 plus per week!

2. The facilities - lacking in every aspect!
Contrary to their official information, there is no study space available in the accommodation. There is a pool table, a TV and a few sofa in the common area. But there is no table and chairs for studying. There is also no air-conditioning or ventilationin the whole building, this includes the common room, reception area, laundry room, and all the rooms available. A lack of ventilation makes the whole building stuffy. The rooms are extremely hot. People have to open their rooms and pray for cold air. Given the price tag, I though it would have been better.

3. The rooms - room size varies, be aware!
The rooms are not the same even if you pay the same price for it! I have a bigger closet but my neighbour got a bigger table. The rooms facing the street are bigger than the rooms facing the other side. The staff may tell you otherwise so please check when you book your room.

4. Unite Accommodation Staff - cocky attitude and very unfriendly
I called the Unite Accommodation a few times and they are very cocky, unfriendly and extremely bureaucratic.

5. Kirby street Staff - Very friendly!
They talk to you and they try to make your life easier! Really good staff in the reception area. I suspect its the central office and management that is unfriendly not the staff at the property. Hopefully this gives you guys another side of the story!Feel free to ask questions or post comments if you lived here before

6. The opening hours for the reception is deceiving. There is no one present even when it is during "opening hours".You have to call the emergency hotline for them to come and help you. It is costly to call the line and you have to wait for 15 minutes minimum before anyone comes.For the price that they charge, they are deceiving the students and the opening hours is a SCAM
i am also not happy with the accommodation offered by unite but im stuck in a 1 year tenancy agreement and the only way out is if i find someone to take it over. By the time i find new accommodation it will be impossible to find someone willing to take over the tenancy agreement. it's as if they know they are sub standard and have trapped people into staying. there is basically no way i cant give them £129 per week.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
I am not having a good experience in living in the Unite Accomodation too recently.
it is interesting to know that this page has been last for a few years.

i was previously staying in the Unite Accomodation.
i was completely disappointed with the management there.
slow response to complaints and pushing responsibilities back to students.

getting stuck with the contract until someone fits in thats also an unreasonable point
there should be a waiting list as in the Unite Accomodation i guess?
(edited 7 years ago)
I lived in the Stratford One building for two years and suffered endless problems. Living with 9 other people meant the kitchen was constantly a state (I don't know how some people refuse to clean up after themselves) but Unite ignored every single complaint I made. Only in my second year of living there, after countless complaints, did they arrange a 'flat meeting' - but of course, they didn't chase it up and no one showed for it. I dealt with this constantly with no assistance. When my parents came to help me move out they also complained to which the receptionist replied
I’ve been suspended from Unite Students and I’m a EEA Family Member their allegations I’m an ilegal worker how can I be an illegal worker if my wife is Italian, they suspended me without payment Thanks for this window so I can exposed my case here Cheers jJ
I’ve been suspended from Unite Student in London Jubile and I’m an EEA Family Member they suspended me without payment and they are threatening with the dismissal it’s this fair after one year and four months working for them their allegations I’m an ilegal worker how can you be ilegal been married with an Italian European a citizen ? Cheers the site is great to exposed the behind scene of this company .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending