The Student Room Group

What A-Level do you regret taking the most?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by euphorical
I've picked this for A Levels because apparently I need it for medicine. What did you get at GCSE? How complicated was the maths involved and would you recommend a tutor? I really don't like a lot of Physics, I'm literally being forced to do it omg.

From my knowledge you do not need physics to do medicine
The main ones you need are chemistry and biology and it is prefered if you have maths or physics and if i were you i would pick maths.
I got 4A, 1B and the rest C at GCSE
Philosophy and Ethics :facepalm:
Reply 62
I've picked this for A Levels because apparently I need it for medicine. What did you get at GCSE? How complicated was the maths involved and would you recommend a tutor? I really don't like a lot of Physics, I'm literally being forced to do it omg.

Physics is not a necessary requirement for some Universities. For example, these are Cambridge's requirements:

A Level: A*A*A

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level.

So you could do a Medicine course with Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics at Cambridge
Original post by Krimzar
Physics is not a necessary requirement for some Universities. For example, these are Cambridge's requirements:

A Level: A*A*A

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level.

So you could do a Medicine course with Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics at Cambridge

I know! But Maths is the BANE of my existence! I honestly hate it so much, I wrote to my headteacher to somehow get me out of those ghastly lessons. I knew I could easily obtain a C so didn't see why I should sit through three hours of torture a week....haha it didn't work, I still had to attend. Point is, I cannot stand maths. Physics is the only option, really.
Original post by Krimzar
For me it would have to be OCR ICT. I also took Computing, Physics and Maths, and want to study Computer Science at University. The coursework for ICT took up pretty much all of my time, even though I am predicted 90%. The theory was also very dull to learn, and difficult to remember because of how dull it was. ICT also has no relevance to Computer Science at any of the Universities I want to apply to; I should have taken Further Maths instead. I probably will pick up the AS Further Maths next year alongside A2s in Computing, Maths and Physics.

OCR ICT, more like printscreen and write why it looks appealing. ****ing waste of time
Reply 65
I know! But Maths is the BANE of my existence! I honestly hate it so much, I wrote to my headteacher to somehow get me out of those ghastly lessons. I knew I could easily obtain a C so didn't see why I should sit through three hours of torture a week....haha it didn't work, I still had to attend. Point is, I cannot stand maths. Physics is the only option, really.

They don't ask you to do them for no reason so if you really do hate both of them so much maybe you need to rethink what you're wanting to do at university.
And with a C at GCSE in maths it will limit your options for medicine if you haven't taken it at A-level.
Government & Politics GOD HELP ME IT'S SO BORING.
Original post by chloeap
They don't ask you to do them for no reason so if you really do hate both of them so much maybe you need to rethink what you're wanting to do at university.
And with a C at GCSE in maths it will limit your options for medicine if you haven't taken it at A-level.

As I previously mentioned, I don't like ALL of physics, the same way I don't like ALL of chemistry and ALL of biology. There's aspects I enjoy and can engage with and other parts I find boring. That's completely natural; I don't hate physics, I hate some parts of it. Also, I got a C in year eight....I retook it this year....results day is next month. :h:
Reply 68
Maths and stats, I discovered I have zero ability in stats.

Physics is really easy. Don't worry.
I seriously shouldn't have decided to take Biology, it ended up being so much more work for still mediocre grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely AS physics.. Not looking forward to results day on 13th :frown:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Ok fair enough
I saw the A2 spec for OCR A physics and it looks so cool as they learn about space but i think i will drop it anyway :smile:

👀👀👀
Original post by vd12345
👀👀👀

Yeah it looks fun but i regret picking it at AS :redface:
I look forward to seeing my grade E on the 13th
Reply 74
Chemistry :redface:
European History was a bit boring for me really, and I wasn't enjoying it, so I dropped it for A2. After that I was pretty happy with the rest of my subjects, I knew I wasn't a sciency person, got average grades for it at GCSE. So glad A Levels are done with now, only subject I guess I'm worried about is Geography because I don't think a paper went quite to plan...but English was fine and so was Classical Civilisation despite my pre-exam worries about learning all the material.
Reply 76
Original post by diamondluck
Oh lol those articles are so worrying :nervous: like 3 years of uni and getting a job that doesn't require a degree or something 😭 apprenticeships do look good tbh, i don't see why many people don't do it :L everyone just runs for A levels as if it's the only option
Oh no it's fine :') I have a lot of A2 stuff since I did that just this year, I don't have my AS stuff anymore :[ sorry x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe, I know. XD I don't want to be spending around £9,000 annually only to be told those who did apprenticeships are now earning more than me.

It's alright. Thank you for all the help!
Biology by far
wish I did History or Government and politics instead
English Literature
Reply 79
Original post by MJlover
Philosophy and Ethics :facepalm:

What exam board? :O

Quick Reply

Latest