The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

15 reasons why Hull is an objectively amazing city to go to uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'm convinced! I've been considering Hull for a long while but people keep trying to scare me away from the place :lol:

What's it like it terms of different ethnicities, does everyone get along okay there?

:lol: Honestly I really enjoyed the uni, transferring there was the best decision I've ever made. What are you thinking of studying? Where else are you applying to?

It's multicultural, I'm not sure what ethnicity you are but you won't be alone. :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:lol: Honestly I really enjoyed the uni, transferring there was the best decision I've ever made. What are you thinking of studying? Where else are you applying to?

It's multicultural, I'm not sure what ethnicity you are but you won't be alone. :smile:

I hope you dont mind me asking what university you transferred from? I'm interested in studying Software Engineering.

The other universities I'm considering are Keele, Exeter, Plymouth, Cardiff and Brighton (can't quite cut down the options yet :lol:)

And I'm west African haha
I hope you dont mind me asking what university you transferred from? I'm interested in studying Software Engineering.

The other universities I'm considering are Keele, Exeter, Plymouth, Cardiff and Brighton (can't quite cut down the options yet :lol:)

I transferred from Goldsmiths :smile:

You've still got plenty of time to make your decisions so don't rush anything! I did History and the History department there was great, course was well put together, lecturers were engaged, it was really good.

The best thing to do is go to open days and visit the unis so you get a feel of what they're like. Speaking to other students who did your course is a really good idea too, to see how they feel about things and get some insight :h:

And I'm west African haha

You definitely won't be alone :smile: There was a really active society when I was there which I think might have been the Afro-Caribbean society but was really active with people from all kinds of backgrounds.
(edited 8 years ago)
Andrew Marvell was the MP for Hull and wrote this poem

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173954

which is well known to many, many students of AQA English Lang and Lit GCSE as a cultured and posh way of persuading a girl to get up close and personal.
I will praise Hull by saying it is not as bad as Sunderland or Middlesbrough.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Andrew Marvell was the MP for Hull and wrote this poem

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173954

which is well known to many, many students of AQA English Lang and Lit GCSE as a cultured and posh way of persuading a girl to get up close and personal.

:yep:

They've also named everything after Philip Larkin, who wrote this classic. :yep:

(You already know that :colondollar:)
Original post by Quantex
I will praise Hull by saying it is not as bad as Sunderland or Middlesbrough.

And what higher praise could there be? :yep:
:yep:

They've also named everything after Philip Larkin, who wrote this classic. :yep:

(You already know that :colondollar:)

I have been known to quote it sympathetically to sixth formers who've had a row with their parents....
I transferred from Goldsmiths :smile:

You've still got plenty of time to make your decisions so don't rush anything! I did History and the History department there was great, course was well put together, lecturers were engaged, it was really good.

The best thing to do is go to open days and visit the unis so you get a feel of what they're like. Speaking to other students who did your course is a really good idea too, to see how they feel about things and get some insight :h:

You definitely won't be alone :smile: There was a really active society when I was there which I think might have been the Afro-Caribbean society but was really active with people from all kinds of backgrounds.

Ah from a nice university to another nice university, not too shabby! :biggrin:

What about the area outside of the university? Are Hullensians nice? It would be nice to have a change from London where everyone is too busy minding their own business and never saying "hello" in the morning or something :lol:

Yeah I've only spoken to one and they seem to have really enjoyed it, but I worried that it might've been quite a subjective and biased opinion so I'll be checking the university out for myself in September/Oct :smile:

Ah, that's nice then. :smile:
Reply 29
Here's a list of things you might remember if you went to Hull Uni in the noughties (but most are probably still relevant now!)

http://www.lifedeathprizes.com/lists/13-things-youll-remember-if-you-went-to-hull-uni-in-the-noughties-26025
Reply 30
I'm convinced! I've been considering Hull for a long while but people keep trying to scare me away from the place :lol:

What's it like it terms of different ethnicities, does everyone get along okay there?

In the University or City? There is a tolerant environment on campus with quite a few cultural societies. It can be a bit cliquey as people normally stick to those that are similar to themselves but you will notice this anywhere.

If you are from London, Hull is completely different.

LOL Hull as a city is not multicultural and the university is just about.
Original post by Ebuwa
In the University or City? There is a tolerant environment on campus with quite a few cultural societies. It can be a bit cliquey as people normally stick to those that are similar to themselves but you will notice this anywhere.

If you are from London, Hull is completely different.

LOL Hull as a city is not multicultural and the university is just about.

Oh! Did you attend the university?

And yes, I live in London.
Reply 32
Oh! Did you attend the university?

And yes, I live in London.

I study there.

I used to live in London.
Original post by Ebuwa
I study there.

I used to live in London.

What is it like outside of the university? Are the citizens nice? Do you regret ever going there?
Reply 34
What is it like outside of the university? Are the citizens nice? Do you regret ever going there?

Depends on the area you are going to. People are generally friendlier up in the North but of course this isn't always the case.
No I don't, I love my uni.
Original post by Ebuwa
I disagree

Okay, just done some research and you're right. However, the area around the uni always felt pretty multicultural to me :redface:
Reply 36
So i'm currently looking at clearing options for Primary education and Hull has one with a foundation year (perfect as i only got 180 points (massive cock up)), i already have family there which sold it to me, but this has really put it on my list!

It's flat you say? I'm from Bristol so,having walked up and down Park Street (the worst thing on the face of the country and all that's up there is an anime shop and Bristol Museum) a million times, this is a deal sealer!
Okay, just done some research and you're right. However, the area around the uni always felt pretty multicultural to me :redface:

Don't worry, Monkey, I got your back. :smile:
Reply 38
Going to study medicine in Hull next month :smile: is it easy to walk from the train station to accommodation? (Cranbrook)
Original post by Ezme39
Going to study medicine in Hull next month :smile: is it easy to walk from the train station to accommodation? (Cranbrook)

It is possible to walk it but it's a decent walk (about an hours walk) and especially if you have luggage, I'd recommenced taking the bus. The 5 (used to be the 15) and 115 actually go down Cranbrook but you can also catch the 103 and 105 which go past the end of Cranbook, past the uni. So depending on how far down Cranbrook you're living, they are also an option.

I'm living on Cranbrook this year and have for the last 2 years and the majority of stuff is in walking distance. There's loads on Newland Avenue and Beverly Road. However I tend to get the bus to go to the centre of Hull because like I said it takes about an hour to walk there and I'm far too lazy for that.

Also if you think you're going to be catching the bus at all while you're in Hull, I'd recommend getting a 20% discount card, it costs effectively nothing to get, it's just a card that you put money on and then instead of paying with money when you get on the bus, you pay with money off your card and get a 20% discount. You can top it up with any bus driver, and it doesn't even need to be topped up in whole amounts (I've topped it up by 20p before). It works on all the EYMS buses in Hull (115, 105, 102 ect).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest