The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Is Birmingham a good city to live in?

I want to go to Birmingham Uni and when I talked to my dad about it he was all cynical because he told me he went there and it wasn't a good city. When I asked him why he said "it's full of immigrants and really chaotic". I kept it to myself that I thought the first part of his reasoning was irrelevant to say the least, but is Birmingham really chaotic? Are there lots of poor area and angry citizens?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeahmerica
I want to go to Birmingham Uni and when I talked to my dad about it he was all cynical because he told me he went there and it wasn't a good city. When I asked him why he said "it's full of immigrants and really chaotic". I kept it to myself that I thought the first part of his reasoning was irrelevant to say the least, but is Birmingham really chaotic? Are there lots of poor area and angry citizens?

i am from Birmingham but i just moved to widens and its not full of immigrants at all it is a nice place and if i was still in Birmingham i would go to Birmingham uni they have lots to offer:smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Hi there, your father is right to an extent, there are areas of Birmingham that are pretty much 70%ish ethnic minorities. But other than then the city is mostly full of people of English decent (Specialy the area past UOB).
In B'ham youll meet people of all backgrounds, so use it to learn about other cultures.
IN terms of crime, birmingham isnt bad at all and people seem to drastically exaggerate. Yeah like most cities you get those chav and criminals, but just use the same amount of street logic you would use in any other major cities and you'll be fine
(edited 8 years ago)

The population is well over a million, so there are some poor people yes.

South West/North of the city is excellent (places like Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, Four Oaks, Bournville - the latter being one of the nicest places to live in Britain).

The East/South East isn't great.

Your dad's ignorance re: immigrants (I assume he just means brown people), makes me rage and is something I brought up not too long ago, that is a big reason we have this reputation.

Birmingham actually ranks lower than other big cities in terms of crime btw.

Your dad has an impression of Birmingham (like many of the older generation) from the 70s and 80s. I live in Birmingham now and it's nothing like what it was 40 years ago. The crime rate is low, the communities are harmonious and it's just vibrant and gorgeous. It's now easily one of the best cities in the world
Reply 5
Nice Birmingham is on the list then. And I like how you said 70% ethnic minority. I lol'd
Nice Birmingham is on the list then. And I like how you said 70% ethnic minority. I lol'd

Haha. Plus i recommend you vist b'ham for a day or 2, youll see your dad is wrong for yourself.
Reply 7
I'm a Brummy (born and bred) so I can tell you what it's like. Crime is generally low, lower than the other English core cities. In the last 10/15 years or so, the city centre has undergone substantial redevelopment and is a much more welcoming place to be in. Your father is correct to an extent; there are quite a few areas in the city which are almost fully inhabited by ethnic minorities. These areas are mostly inner-city. Some of the more outer city areas are outstanding though and have a lot of greenery. But I do think the city as a whole has a bad reputation due to the large percentage of ethnic minorities. Personally, I believe Manchester is the better city at the moment (just about though) but Birmingham is definitely catching up!
Original post by Tempzzz
I'm a Brummy (born and bred) so I can tell you what it's like. Crime is generally low, lower than the other English core cities. In the last 10/15 years or so, the city centre has undergone substantial redevelopment and is a much more welcoming place to be in. Your father is correct to an extent; there are quite a few areas in the city which are almost fully inhabited by ethnic minorities. These areas are mostly inner-city. Some of the more outer city areas are outstanding though and have a lot of greenery. But I do think the city as a whole has a bad reputation due to the large percentage of ethnic minorities. Personally, I believe Manchester is the better city at the moment (just about though) but Birmingham is definitely catching up!

Better how? It's a cotton village with Joy Division CDs.

Birmingham has 4 Michelin restaurants, the northern cities don't have one between them. We have the Balti Triangle, they have the curry mile (lol, just one mile)

Their transport is better at the moment, but the Midland Metro opens this year. The music scene is pissing on theirs right now as well.

There is a lot more crime there compared to Brum too.
Reply 9
Original post by Wilfred Little
Better how? It's a cotton village with Joy Division CDs.

Birmingham has 4 Michelin restaurants, the northern cities don't have one between them. We have the Balti Triangle, they have the curry mile (lol, just one mile)

Their transport is better at the moment, but the Midland Metro opens this year. The music scene is pissing on theirs right now as well.

There is a lot more crime there compared to Brum too.

As much as I love Brum, credit where credit is due and Manchester is the better city at the moment, well for me anyway. Their sporting scene is much bigger than ours plus the nightlife there is better too. I'd also say Manchester's general cityscape is better along with architecture. Not to mention that whenever I go there I get the feel of a vibrant and cosmopolitan city.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tempzzz
As much as I love Brum, credit where credit is due and Manchester is the better city at tbe moment, well for me anyway. Their sporting scene is much bigger

No, it isn't. Tell me where the HQ of UK athletics is? Or where the Diamond League just took place? Or where Tennis was invented? Tell me the name of the club that founded league football? Or where Rugby was invented? Or where the Ashes were just played?

than ours plus the nightlife there is better too.

This is a dead argument. Nightlife is becoming a buzzword. You can have a great night out in most cities. Our nightlife is better for black music.

I'd also say Manchester's general cityscape is better along with architecture. Not to mention that whenever I go there I get the feel of a vibrant and cosmopolitan city.

Birmingham is more multicultural than Manchester.

This is Manchester's skyline - http://www.a-magazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/manchester-skyline.jpg

And this is ours - http://www.baddeley.be/blog/wp-content/gallery/brum-night/birmingham_skyline_r_j_baddeley2.jpg

Manchester is 80% **** with one tall building?

Are you an MU fan by any chance?
Both are ****e compared to London
No, it isn't. Tell me where the HQ of UK athletics is? Or where the Diamond League just took place? Or where Tennis was invented? Tell me the name of the club that founded league football? Or where Rugby was invented? Or where the Ashes were just played?

This is a dead argument. Nightlife is becoming a buzzword. You can have a great night out in most cities. Our nightlife is better for black music.

Birmingham is more multicultural than Manchester.

This is Manchester's skyline - http://www.a-magazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/manchester-skyline.jpg

And this is ours - http://www.baddeley.be/blog/wp-content/gallery/brum-night/birmingham_skyline_r_j_baddeley2.jpg

Manchester is 80% **** with one tall building?

Are you an MU fan by any chance?

Futile arguments, I'm a Brummy who admits Manc is the better city at the moment. Villa fan BTW.
Original post by Tempzzz
Futile arguments, I'm a Brummy who admits Manc is the better city at the moment. Villa fan BTW.

You're a Brummie who has been told your city is **** to the point you've believed it, actually. Where is Manchester's Grand Central? Resorts World? Lord Of The Rings? Lunar Society?

No legitimate arguments. You said they were better for sport and yet two of the biggest sporting events were hosted here in the past month?

Great counter arguments provided. The black music thing I posted is very true.
I'm from Birmingham and I have to say that Birmingham is completely misinterpreted by a lot of people. It's a great city. There's no doubt about it. I've been to Manchester and London and although not as great as London, I'd say Birmingham is better than Manchester. Another person said it and it's 100% true but the crime rate in Birmingham is a lot lower than Manchester and I can honestly say I've never felt more safe than I felt in B'ham. The people you come across tend to be really friendly and bubbly just by nature. I'd say that living and buying things can be cheaper in Birmingham as well and there's a lot to offer and a lot you can learn.

Birmingham does have immigrants but name one place that doesn't? And most of them don't cause any trouble and just try to live like the rest of us. Also, is there being immigrants a bad thing? If you were to come to Birmingham you would learn a lot about different cultures and how to communicate with different people which, in the real world, you're going to have to do whether you like it or not. :biggrin:
But don't let the stereotypes and rumours put you off because it really is a great city. I'm sure you'd love it
You're a Brummie who has been told your city is **** to the point you've believed it, actually. Where is Manchester's Grand Central? Resorts World? Lord Of The Rings? Lunar Society?

No legitimate arguments. You said they were better for sport and yet two of the biggest sporting events were hosted here in the past month?

Brum isn't a s*** city, I love my hometown and always will. It's on the right path to hopefully topple Manchester soon. The general consensus nowadays is that Manc has overtaken Brum. And in terms of sporting events, Commonwealth games 2002, Champions League Final 2003 etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Stay away from the City Center, it looks like a scene from Fallout New Vegas.
it's ****ing lovely mate
Original post by Tempzzz
Brum isn't a s*** city, I love my hometown and always will. It's on the right path to hopefully topple Manchester soon. The general consensus nowadays is that Manc has overtaken Brum. And in terms of sporting events, Commonwealth games 2002, Champions League Final 2003 etc.

We are about three times the size of Manchester.

And secondly, I couldn't give a monkey's rub what the 'general consensus' is. The public are idiots. Your post is just proving my point. Do we have the nation's broadcaster creaming themselves over us? Are they based here? No we don't and no they aren't, they slag us off repeatedly. Do we have our football clubs in the Champions League? Do we have the BBC investing a reasonable amount back into our region considering the mammoth amounts we put in in terms of license fees?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ-K0siWoAA0PZE.jpg

That is ridiculous and disgusting.

Do not underestimate the influence of football and the BBC.

Valid argument but I'm pretty sure this person isn't going to University for Lord of the Rings or Resorts world? I'm pretty sure they're going to get the best education they possibly can and to enjoy living at their chosen University. With a University having an excellent reputation, great city, lower crime rate and low costs of living with better quality, what's so wrong with Birmingham?

I'm not saying Manchester is rubbish because that would be untrue, but this person is going to be considering more than just the tourist attractions. And if that's the case, Birmingham is actually pretty great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending