The Student Room Group

I've been interviewed at both Cambridge and Oxford, AMA

In summary: year 13, got into straight Law at Cambridge but missed my grades by a bit. I took a gap year (for other reasons too) and applied to Oxford for Law with German; I got rejected.

I wonder if anyone will even ask me anything haha but I'm bored as hell and can't sleep
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by voodoo_child
In summary: year 13, got into straight Law at Cambridge but missed my grades by a bit. I took a gap year (for other reasons too) and applied to Oxford for Law with German; I got rejected.

I wonder if anyone will even ask me anything haha but I'm bored as hell and can't sleep

Which interview felt better and easier overall?
Reply 2
'I've interviewed at both Cambridge and Oxford, AMA'

You should change the title to 'I've been interviewed by both Oxford and Cambridge'. I hate grammar Nazis but I believe that in this case, the wording could affect the meaning and the current title would attract thousands of prospective Oxbridge applicants who click on this thread only to feel disappointed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RonnieRJ
Which interview felt better and easier overall?

Definitely, definitely the Cambridge one. It wasn't necessarily easier - there were a lot more areas of testing - but I felt as though I was given more opportunities to shine (for want of a better word), whereas both the interviews I had at Oxford (with different tutors) were the exact same style. (I'm not saying this just because I didn't get in!)

At the Cambridge one I was given a problem-question essay to write, and then I was asked (in the actual interview) to apply case law, as well engage in a more jurisprudential discussion, while at Oxford I was just given two different judgments to apply case law to and discuss, in the same format for both interviews. At Oxford I felt a little cornered, as though I was only being tested on my ability to apply case law verbally, while I think I would have felt more comfortable with an essay-writing opportunity (as at Cambridge) to warm up, since it had been a couple of months since my LNAT.

I think the college at Oxford also put me off a little: my college of choice at Cambridge was Fitzwilliam, which is less intimidating as a place, while at Oxford I was pooled to Brasenose after applying to the more modern and relaxed St. Catherine's. This made me more nervous so make sure you apply to a college you actually feel comfortable at.

Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber
'I've interviewed at both Cambridge and Oxford, AMA'

You should change the title to 'I've been interviewed by both Oxford and Cambridge'. I hate grammar Nazis but I believe that in this case, nonstandard grammar does affect the meaning and the current title would attract thousands of prospective Oxbridge applicants who click on this thread only to feel disappointed.

A really good point, sorry, it was that before but I changed it to make it shorter. Going to change it back now :biggrin:
Reply 5
A really good point, sorry, it was that before but I changed it to make it shorter. Going to change it back now :biggrin:

Actually, having looked at it again, it may still be accepted colloquially, but I'd say changing it is still a good idea to clarify the meaning, otherwise people would think that you're an Oxbridge interviewer.
Original post by flibber
Actually, having looked at it again, it may still be accepted colloquially, but I'd say changing it is still a good idea to clarify the meaning, otherwise people would think that you're an Oxbridge interviewer.

Yeah I agree. :smile:
Reply 7
Definitely, definitely the Cambridge one. It wasn't necessarily easier - there were a lot more areas of testing - but I felt as though I was given more opportunities to shine (for want of a better word), whereas both the interviews I had at Oxford (with different tutors) were the exact same style. (I'm not saying this just because I didn't get in!)

At the Cambridge one I was given an problem-question essay to write, and then I was asked (in the actual interview) to apply case law, as well engage in a more jurisprudential discussion, while at Oxford I was just given two different judgments to apply case law to and discuss, in the same format for both interviews. At Oxford I felt a little cornered, as though I was only being tested on my ability to apply case law verbally, while I think I would have felt more comfortable with an essay-writing opportunity (as at Cambridge) to warm up, since it had been a couple of months since my LNAT.

I think the college at Oxford also put me off a little: my college of choice at Cambridge was Fitzwilliam, which is less intimidating as a place, while at Oxford I was pooled to Brasenose after applying to the more modern and relaxed St. Catherine's. This made me more nervous so make sure you apply to a college you actually feel comfortable at.

Hope this helps!

I was kind of expecting that answer. I generally feel that Oxford is a little more "stiff" than Cambridge, but I still like both universities. I'm just currently trying to decide whether to risk my averagy-kinda UMS with Cambridge or just apply for Oxford :/ thank you btw!
I was kind of expecting that answer. I generally feel that Oxford is a little more "stiff" than Cambridge, but I still like both universities. I'm just currently trying to decide whether to risk my averagy-kinda UMS with Cambridge or just apply for Oxford :/ thank you btw!

No problem! Yeah, that's what I'd heard too, which is what originally made me apply to Cambridge despite much preferring the course at Oxford.

I don't want to keep going on lolb but I would say it's really important how you feel about the actual place too. It was kind of convenient for me in year 13 that as a place, Oxford just didn't really appeal to me like Cambridge did, which helped my decision.

Are you applying to Law or something else? And good luck!!
Reply 9
No problem! Yeah, that's what I'd heard too, which is what originally made me apply to Cambridge despite much preferring the course at Oxford.

I don't want to keep going on lolb but I would say it's really important how you feel about the actual place too. It was kind of convenient for me in year 13 that as a place, Oxford just didn't really appeal to me like Cambridge did, which helped my decision.

Are you applying to Law or something else? And good luck!!

I'm applying for Nat Sci actually, the physical type, and so I could just apply to Oxford for physics but I don't want to loose my Chem and bio beyond a level :/ tbh originally I did think that Oxford was more for me but eventually changed my mind quite drastically. I feel fine in both place so, but the Cambridge course is so much more appealing :frown:
Can I ask what UMS you had for cambridge? I know that law is classed more as humanities and it might be different to applying for science, but I'm a little worried about mine even though I personally think they were ok :/
I'm applying for Nat Sci actually, the physical type, and so I could just apply to Oxford for physics but I don't want to loose my Chem and bio beyond a level :/ tbh originally I did think that Oxford was more for me but eventually changed my mind quite drastically. I feel fine in both place so, but the Cambridge course is so much more appealing :frown:
Can I ask what UMS you had for cambridge? I know that law is classed more as humanities and it might be different to applying for science, but I'm a little worried about mine even though I personally think they were ok :/

Yeah of course, I can't remember each UMS figure exactly (sorry, 2 years ago and I can't find the papers right now) but I remember that across my three best subjects (Maths, English, German) it was ~93%. The three-best-subjects rule saved me because I was three marks off an A in AS chem!

I think in general they take *everything* into account, so a killer personal statement could swing it in your favour, and a good interview could change it all. I knew someone who applied to a science subject at Cambridge with about 97% UMS average across 3 or all of maths, fmaths, bio and chem but tanked in the interview because they just weren't adequately prepared. I also had a friend who was interviewed for mechanical engineering (he eventually didn't get in but that was more because of the interview) with a UMS top three of about 87%, so it all varies.

I realise I'm chucking heaps of information at you so I hope it makes sense! Tbh in year 13 I didn't choose between Oxford and Cambridge until the morning of the 15th of October :colondollar:
Yeah of course, I can't remember each UMS figure exactly (sorry, 2 years ago and I can't find the papers right now) but I remember that across my three best subjects (Maths, English, German) it was ~93%. The three-best-subjects rule saved me because I was three marks off an A in AS chem!

I think in general they take *everything* into account, so a killer personal statement could swing it in your favour, and a good interview could change it all. I knew someone who applied to a science subject at Cambridge with about 97% UMS average across 3 or all of maths, fmaths, bio and chem but tanked in the interview because they just weren't adequately prepared. I also had a friend who was interviewed for mechanical engineering (he eventually didn't get in but that was more because of the interview) with a UMS top three of about 87%, so it all varies.

I realise I'm chucking heaps of information at you so I hope it makes sense! Tbh in year 13 I didn't choose between Oxford and Cambridge until the morning of the 15th of October :colondollar:

Right that's alright, Ive got 93% both in maths and physics which are most important to me, and then 88% in bio and 86% in chem. However I'm resitting a module in Chemistry because somehow I got like 78% on one of them and I know I can bump it up to 90%, so I think as long as I mark it as a resit they'll take it into account as it doesn't fit in.
But right, thanks so much, I'm gonna start interview preparation hardcore from now then :tongue:
(Yep I'll also probably not be able to choose got quite a while :/)
Right that's alright, Ive got 93% both in maths and physics which are most important to me, and then 88% in bio and 86% in chem. However I'm resitting a module in Chemistry because somehow I got like 78% on one of them and I know I can bump it up to 90%, so I think as long as I mark it as a resit they'll take it into account as it doesn't fit in.
But right, thanks so much, I'm gonna start interview preparation hardcore from now then :tongue:

Then it sounds like you've got it rationally planned out and you'll be fine :smile: good luck!

At the Cambridge one I was given a problem-question essay to write, and then I was asked (in the actual interview) to apply case law, as well engage in a more jurisprudential discussion, while at Oxford I was just given two different judgments to apply case law to and discuss, in the same format for both interviews. At Oxford I felt a little cornered, as though I was only being tested on my ability to apply case law verbally, while I think I would have felt more comfortable with an essay-writing opportunity (as at Cambridge) to warm up, since it had been a couple of months since my LNAT.

Hope this helps!

So... if your better at essays than verbal discussions (not necessarily bad at verbal discussions, I'm just better at laying down my thoughts in essays), Cambridge seems a better choice than Oxford? Thankfully, both my AS UMS and IGs are good enough for both.
Original post by Mr...
How complex was the language in the German interview at Oxford and how fluent would you have to be to hold up the conversation?

Really not that much, and I think I over-prepared in that respect, as I had spent hours re-learning vocab from year 13 on social justice, immigration etc. etc. etc.. In the end we basically just had a 5 minute casual conversation on my experience with German: I talked briefly about the work experience I had done there and then touched lightly on gender roles in Germany (directly related to the work experience topic). I was just warming up when the tutor stopped me! Because of my nerves I think I misunderstood a couple of things that I really, really shouldn't have; normally I am of an intermediate standard and I had an A in A-level German (I should have gotten an A* but my whole class flopped the exam; I could go into a whole other discussion about the syllabus we did haha).

So to answer your question briefly (I like to waffle^): the language was no more complex than that which I learned/used at A2; the conversation was largely casual and just that, conversational. Regarding fluency, I would say I am not completely fluent but I can keep a conversation going without too much hesitation, if that answers that question at all! They probably don't expect a high level of fluency, at least not from year 13s, but as long as you can accurately convey your thoughts with good grasp of grammar I'm sure you'll be fine.

Of course, I didn't get in so maybe my advice is entirely wrong, and you should only take this as relevant to courses with a third year abroad, seeing as they would expect something entirely different for straight German/MFL courses.

Good luck, hope this (boringly long) message helps. :smile:
Original post by icedark_knight
So... if your better at essays than verbal discussions (not necessarily bad at verbal discussions, I'm just better at laying down my thoughts in essays), Cambridge seems a better choice than Oxford? Thankfully, both my AS UMS and IGs are good enough for both.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to generalise so broadly - both universities take into account MANY factors, and I'm sure this can vary from college to college. While I felt I was tested on a wider variety of skills during my Cambridge interview, you could argue that my essay skills had already been tested in the LNAT (as required by Oxford for Law applications).

In hindsight, another problem for me was that I had already gone through the heartbreak (lol) and anguish of losing my Cambridge place, so I felt an overwhelming pressure to perform in interview and gain a place at Oxford. This most probably affected my verbal skills (normally good, very good at Cambridge interview) even more.

BTW - if your grades are looking good enough for both, then I would say go for the better course, or the place you feel more comfortable/at home with (whichever factor is more important to you). Let me know which you pick!
Original post by Mr...
Thank you very much for the information. I was indeed asking about the 4 year Law course to France :yep:
I just want to be able to improve my French especially my vocab (conversational vocab not GCSE syllabus vocab), fluency and accent:yep:

Ah great thought so, but just thought I should clarify.

Yeah I would say that practising just talking with my old German teacher really got me into the flow. Maybe get your teacher to ask you a few harder, law/uni-related questions just to get you as prepped as possible, and to stretch you a little.

Good luck!
I don't think it's ever a good idea to generalise so broadly - both universities take into account MANY factors, and I'm sure this can vary from college to college. While I felt I was tested on a wider variety of skills during my Cambridge interview, you could argue that my essay skills had already been tested in the LNAT (as required by Oxford for Law applications).

In hindsight, another problem for me was that I had already gone through the heartbreak (lol) and anguish of losing my Cambridge place, so I felt an overwhelming pressure to perform in interview and gain a place at Oxford. This most probably affected my verbal skills (normally good, very good at Cambridge interview) even more.

BTW - if your grades are looking good enough for both, then I would say go for the better course, or the place you feel more comfortable/at home with (whichever factor is more important to you). Let me know which you pick!

Thanks! Will do... :wink:
What did you get as GCSE and AS if you don't mind me asking? What was your offer from Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

I got 93% in phys and maths and that was enough for interview apparently! And you're right about the resit thing they'll catch on (plus IIRC there is a section of the SAQ to explain?)

The Cambridge NatSci interview (to me) was more like discussing a problem with your interviewers and working through it with them, almost as if you're explaining it to them (badly ;P). It's not really something I could have prepared for that much in hindsight. At least, the preparation I did - a few Oxford PAT questions and Physics Olympiad things and stuff - didn't really help too much except to calm my nerves and provide confidence which I do think is important. I'm not saying don't prepare, because it does help, but also don't kill yourself.

Haven't done Oxford but a friend did (for Physics) and it seemed a lot more testing your raw mathematics ability rather than how well you understand a concept and how you communicate that. Can't comment beyond that as I've no experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending