The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask about open days and applying to Sheffield for 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Really keen on applying for dentistry at Sheffield however my AS grades were very disappointing.. ACCC
I will be sending some papers for remarks and I am only a few UMS from grade Bs. I will be resitting some modules too.
Having spoken to my teachers they still believe I am capable of achieving AAA as these grades were unexpected.
There have been some circumstances which may have contributed to my underachievement.. should I ask my teacher to write about this in my reference? Will my application be rejected immediately because of my AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by ma98
Really keen on applying for dentistry at Sheffield however my AS grades were very disappointing.. ACCC
I will be sending some papers for remarks and I am only a few UMS from grade Bs. I will be resitting some modules too.
Having spoken to my teachers they still believe I am capable of achieving AAA as these grades were unexpected.
There have been some circumstances which may have contributed to my underachievement.. should I ask my teacher to write about this in my reference? Will my application be rejected immediately because of my AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good morning :smile:

I'm really pleased you're thinking of applying to Sheffield to study Dentistry. For this degree course your GCSE and A-levels are the key qualifications and not your AS-levels. If you're on track to achieve AAA at A-level, then your application will be fine: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/bds/selection

If there are circumstances that have affected your studies or exam performance, it is best if your teacher provides some details about this in the reference. Please do not include this information in your personal statement. Depending on the impact of the situation, you may also want to consider following our disrupted studies process: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/applying/disrupted

Good luck with your application.

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Original post by Gregoun
Hi,

I'm a Psychology graduate with a 2:1. I initially wanted to read medicine but I couldn't meet any offers because of personal issues that led to disruptions during my last year - I took A levels in History (A), Chemistry (D) and Biology (C - a handful of marks from a B) and an AS in Maths. I then took a year where I did AS and A2 physics (C) and English literature (B - one mark from an A) in one year and chose to study Psychology instead. I am now employed in a permanent graduate lab/ experimental technician role at the University I graduated from. To cut a long story very short, in my spare time and in my role I'm involved in a number of software projects - both from a technical side and a psychology experimental side. This has led me to have a constant connection to software development - currently I'm working on a few pieces of custom software that will help speed up our work processes and to better serve faculty/students as our university/department is rapidly expanding.

Anyway, two members of my family will be attending the university next year, as well as my partner potentially working in Sheffield.

All this adds up to me definitely wanting to apply for the MEng Software Engineering Course as a mature student.

In terms of applying, I've contacted the department and was told maths is a requirement even with a degree - which I'm obviously very happy with so I've signed up as a private candidate with a local centre.

This is where my questions come in:
1) as I'm not actually attending the school, is it acceptable to have a university lecturer be my referee?
1b) And I probably won't have predicted grades for My AS maths retake/A level maths - is this a problem?
2) in terms of applying, due to the context, I'll obviously be applying to just this university/this course - I was planning to mention the course/university directly because of this in my statement - is this frowned upon?

Many thanks!

Good morning :smile:

We're really pleased you're applying to Sheffield for Software Engineering. I've talked to colleagues in Admissions and here's their advice:

1) As a mature student, it's absolutely fine that your referee is a university lecturer. They will have taught you recently and will be able to comment on your academic ability.

1b) It sounds like you are taking AS and A-level Maths as a condensed one year course. In this situation, we appreciate that you may not receive a predicted grade in the same way that a student studying over 2 years would. Instead, we may ask that you provide the average grade you achieved in your AS modules. For more information and guidance about this, please contact our Applicant Information Desk (AID): http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/aid/contact

2) As you are planning to just apply for this course at Sheffield, it's fine to talk about the course and the university in your personal statement.
(Note to other applicants who may be reading this post: if you are applying to more than one course at more than one university, please do not mention courses and universities in your personal statement, just focus on your subject choice).

If you'd like more information that is tailored to the needs of mature students, please visit our website here www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/mature/support and here:www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/mature/profiles In the Students' Union, there's also the Mature Students Committee (MSC) which runs socials, events and campaigns for mature students: http://su.sheffield.ac.uk/groups/msc

I hope that's useful and good luck with your A-level maths studies and your UCAS application.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by PikaNing
May I know the number of places available for international students (non-eu) for your Dentistry course? What will you be looking for other than AAA in A levels and Ukcat?
Also, for the 2014 entry applicants, how many students admitted were studying A levels and how many were international?
May I know the ukcat score of the applicants?

Good afternoon :smile:

I'm sorry it's taken a while to get back to you about your query. There are 3 places for international students on the Bachelor of Dental Surgery course. We assess the full UCAS application so are looking for GCSE grades, A-levels grades, UKCAT, work experience, a good personal statement and academic reference. With regards to the UKCAT we do not have a cut off score. Further details regarding the course are available at www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/bds

Good luck with your application

Elizabeth
Original post by T.Stroodle
I am interested in applying to Sheffield for dentistry. In my AS I got 4As in maths, chemistry, biology and physics. And in my GCSEs I got 5A*, 3A and 1B, on your website the GCSE requirments are 6 As Including maths sciences and English language, however I got a B in English language, will this mean I will be automatically rejected? I got an A in English literature if that can be any substitute?

Hello :smile:

Thank you for your message.

The GCSE requirements for the dental course at Sheffield is 8 A grades. However if you have one B grade at GCSE and are predicted grades AAA in your A2's and take the UKCAT test we would still consider an application from you, this would be in competition with all other applicants and you may need a higher UKCAT score to compensate for your B grade at GCSE.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Nancy
Student Recruitment Assistant
Original post by MAnnaMM
Hello,

I am currently on a gap year, and going to be applying to dentistry this year. I have 3A*s (Bio, Chem, Maths) and one A (Physics), also 7A*s and 4As at GCSE. I have 2 weeks work experience from last month in a general dental practice, another 2 weeks from Year 10, and actually worked as a dental nurse for 4 months this year. Also got a place at a general dental practice for 1-2 days a week work experience/ volunteering for the next year. I was a science prefect in school, which involved going to the local primary school to teach groups of younger children Science. My UKCAT score is 722.5. Does this sound like a strong application? What else can I do to enhance it? Is not volunteering at say a hospital long term a big minus for my application? Thanks in advance.

We're really pleased that you're thinking of applying to Sheffield for Dentistry. I've been in touch with the Dental School and your exam results exceed our entry requirements, which are 8 A grades at GCSE to include Maths, English Languge and Science, and 3 A grades at A-level. We don't have a cut-off score for the UKCAT. Instead, we use the test to differentiate between candidates, who are considered equal in all other criteria.

The work experience you have gained sounds fairly substantial, it's recent/current, and you've got a mix of short-term placements and longer term volunteering. The purpose of the work experience is to help you understand the dental health sector and the careers it can lead to and to develop the skills and personal qualities that will help you become a good dentist. For more information on this, please see the guidance we've published at: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/bds/selection
The other advice we normally give on work experience is to try and get a good variety of work experience - working or observing different patients in different settings. If you could get some voluntary experience in a hospital that would be great as it can be a very different environment to a general practice. However, we also appreciate that gaining experience in a hospital can be difficult. If you can't get experience in a hospital, think about how you will present your current work experience in your personal statement so you demonstrate the different patient groups you've worked with and the procedures you've observed. The work you did as a prefect teaching science to younger children is also a good thing to mention in your personal statement and to draw out the skills you developed through this work.

If you have time, you may want to consider completing a MOOC (Massively Open Online Course) about dentistry. These courses are free and delivered wholly online. We run a MOOC called Discover Dentistry, which takes 3 hours per week over 6 weeks. It will reinforce some of the knowledge you've gained from your work experience and provide you with an insight into many other aspects of being a dentist and the dental profession. The next start date for the course has not been released just yet but you can register your interest at: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/discover-dentistry You can see some of the videos from the course by looking for the course hashtag on twitter - #FLteeth

Good luck with your UCAS application.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth Farnhill
Student Recruitment Officer
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
I've just done my Ukcat and I'm not sure how to feel about my result. 597.5 average and band 2. I got 4A*s, 8 As and 1B (in history) at gcse.
Work experience in the UK 3 weeks at GDP and 1 week abroad. 4 months volunteering at a charity shop and 1 week hospital work experience. I've also done a MOOC. Will my Ukcat score put me at a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ma98
I've just done my Ukcat and I'm not sure how to feel about my result. 597.5 average and band 2. I got 4A*s, 8 As and 1B (in history) at gcse.
Work experience in the UK 3 weeks at GDP and 1 week abroad. 4 months volunteering at a charity shop and 1 week hospital work experience. I've also done a MOOC. Will my Ukcat score put me at a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

The UKCAT score is just one element that we consider as part of your UCAS application form. For Dentistry, the score is used to help us differentiate between candidates who are considered equal on other criteria: www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/bds/selection

I hope that's helpful.

Good luck with your application

Elizabeth
Good afternoon all :smile:

Due to staff holidays I'm afraid there will be short break in picking up your questions this week. We will be back in the office on Tuesday and will respond to your queries then.

Have a good Bank Holiday weekend.

Elizabeth
Reply 49
Hello, I am wanting to do the Meng Engineering course however I feel that I am not academically smart enough to reach the requirement of Sheffield University. Would I be automatically rejected due not having the required grades that the university wants?
I have: 2A*'s, 2A's, 7B's and 1C at GCSE. I recently received D,D,C,B in Computer Science, Physics,Chemistry and maths.
I wonder if it is a good idea to apply for the course or if I should not try attempting to apply at all. I also have no engineering background or experience.
Hello,
I'm interested in apply for the 2016 BA in English and Theatre and I have a few questions regarding course entry.
The required grades are stated on the website as AAB including English; I do the combined English A level, Literature and Language, and I was wondering whether a B grade in this subject would be acceptable as long as I got As in my other A levels (Theatre Studies and Media) and how flexible are the requirements, for example would A*BB be accepted with a strong personal statement?
Also, how many people apply to this course each year/ how many are accepted?
Sorry for all the questions! I've been to an open day and I absolutely love the city and the university! I've already been back to have a look around Sheffield as a whole!
Thank you so much :smile:
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/discover-dentistry You can see some of the videos from the course by looking for the course hashtag on twitter - #FLteeth

The MOOC is brilliant - and my dentist speaks very highly of his alma mater.
Hello,
I would love to apply for History and Russian (grade requirements ABB) , however a few things worry me.
My AS results were very disappointing: ACC in Psychology, History and Media. I have not yet found out how many UMS I received in each exam as my school isn't wiling to post them (I was unable to collect my results personally). I am especially unhappy with my history grade. At GCSE I received an A*, but since then my history teacher left and was replaced by the worst history teacher I could've imagined. Long story short, from then on our lessons were useless as the teacher knew nothing, meaning that I had to self-teach myself. This teacher was later replaced by a very good teacher, however we did not have enough time to finish learning all of the material which had a negative effect on my exam. I am hoping to retake the exam as I know that I am capable of receiving a higher grade. Should this be mentioned in my reference? Before my first history teacher left, I was constantly getting As in my mock exams, I know that poor quality teaching is what had a negative effect on my grade.
I'm also worried that because I did not take a language A Level (my school didn't offer languages at this stage) I will be at a disadvantage, as a B in a modern foreign language A level is one of the requirements for my dream course. I've already e-mailed the University Of Sheffield about this, and the response was positive. I was told that because I received an A in my Polish GCSE my application would still be taken into consideration, however now I'm worried that because of my poor AS results I will be at a big disadvantage. I frequently use my language skills to help Polish students at my school with their English (this is something I will definitely need to include in my personal statement).

My main query is: Will my AS grades and choice of subjects put me at a disadvantage?

Regards. :smile:
Do you interview for your courses? In particular: biology and zoology?
How important is having work/volunteer experience for your science courses?
Original post by katemate98
Do you interview for your courses? In particular: biology and zoology?

Thank you for your message. Some courses do require an interview, Medicine would be an example.

An interview is not required for Biology or Zoology. You can find out the application timeline and further details here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/aps/prospectiveug/apply

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Student Recruitment Administrator
Original post by jackien1
How important is having work/volunteer experience for your science courses?

To answer your question, it would depend on what science you were interested in studying.

For example, for a degree like Chemistry, we can appreciate that it may be very difficult to get relevant work experience. However, if you were wanting to study Ecology, work experience focused around something like conservation would be beneficial.

Overall, any work experience can only be a good thing but the University appreciates that it can be difficult to get relevant work experience in a specific field of science that you want to study.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Original post by Lantaray
Hello, I am wanting to do the Meng Engineering course however I feel that I am not academically smart enough to reach the requirement of Sheffield University. Would I be automatically rejected due not having the required grades that the university wants?
I have: 2A*'s, 2A's, 7B's and 1C at GCSE. I recently received D,D,C,B in Computer Science, Physics,Chemistry and maths.
I wonder if it is a good idea to apply for the course or if I should not try attempting to apply at all. I also have no engineering background or experience.

Thanks for your message.

The University bases offers on predicted A-Level grades, so don't worry too much about GCSES and AS Levels.

For Engineering, the predicted A-Levels need to be 3 A's including Maths and Physics or Chemistry.

For more information on entry requirements please visit: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/mecheng/prospectiveug/applying

I hope this helps and good luck.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Original post by The University of Sheffield

To answer your question, it would depend on what science you were interested in studying.

For example, for a degree like Chemistry, we can appreciate that it may be very difficult to get relevant work experience. However, if you were wanting to study Ecology, work experience focused around something like conservation would be beneficial.

Overall, any work experience can only be a good thing but the University appreciates that it can be difficult to get relevant work experience in a specific field of science that you want to study.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Nancy

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking at the Medical Genetics course at Sheffield. What is the University's stand on work experience for this course?
Original post by em-robertss
Hello,
I'm interested in apply for the 2016 BA in English and Theatre and I have a few questions regarding course entry.
The required grades are stated on the website as AAB including English; I do the combined English A level, Literature and Language, and I was wondering whether a B grade in this subject would be acceptable as long as I got As in my other A levels (Theatre Studies and Media) and how flexible are the requirements, for example would A*BB be accepted with a strong personal statement?
Also, how many people apply to this course each year/ how many are accepted?
Sorry for all the questions! I've been to an open day and I absolutely love the city and the university! I've already been back to have a look around Sheffield as a whole!
Thank you so much :smile:

I am sorry to hear that you have been having a hard time. Please try not to worry too much at this early stage.

The University gives offers based on predicted A-Level grades, so don’t worry too much about your AS grades. The History and Russian course does ask for ABB at A-Level, with the subjects including History and a modern foreign language. However under various circumstances like yours then the subject requirements may be different.

If you have any further queries regarding the course please visit the website here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/history/prospectiveug/courses/russian

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Nancy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending