The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marioman
Consider the definition of an irrational number. Can you re-arrange the equation to arrive at a condradiction? (Hint: Making b the subject probably won't get you very far.)

Can't be expressed as a fraction. Oh okay got it straight away yeah thanks!
Original post by ComputerMaths97
So terrified for this exam. Especially since I'm struggling on Q1 xD Can't get anything other than b = a(sqrt(2)) - c(sqrt(3)) and since sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) are irrational, integer multiples of them are still irrational, so the difference between integer multiples of them cannot be a positive integer. (Like you can't make npi = a(sqrt(2)), etc.). So it's a,b,c=0? But, doesn't feel right xD
I seem to be working it out massively different to everyone else for Q2?
EDIT: Screw that question about the earths surface, absolutely no clue.

Spoiler

You only have to be able to answer half of the Section A questions at best, so if you can do 1 or 2 of the 4 practice ones then you should be fine.

I've answered your spoiler question in this spoiler :smile:

Spoiler

Consider the definition of an irrational number. Can you re-arrange the equation to arrive at a condradiction? (Hint: Making b the subject probably won't get you very far.)

a=b=c=0 is the only solution. I have a proof but I am too lazy to type it out, I am sure it is correct becuz my teacher looked it over.

Hint: Try proof by contradiction

****, I realized I quoted the wrong person
Original post by CheetahCurtis
You only have to be able to answer half of the Section A questions at best, so if you can do 1 or 2 of the 4 practice ones then you should be fine.

I've answered your spoiler question in this spoiler :smile:

Spoiler

Oh yes actually that did explain it very well thank you! I filled in the mathematic fancy language in my head xD

I was able to answer all 4 of the Section A questions, but 1 of them I got wrong and I'm going to look over it tonight :smile: But I'm applying for Comp Sci w/Maths so they'd expect me to do better than most applicants anyway :/

It's so weird being the first year doing a new exam, especially when there's so much choice. Like, I don't know if I should answer 7 section A's then just move on to section B? Or should I answer 8 section A's incase I got one wrong? Should I not have enough time for 7 section A's, or not be able to, when should I move on to section B? Scary xD

I found the section B questions so much harder than the section A ones.
Like, I don't know if I should answer 7 section A's then just move on to section B? Or should I answer 8 section A's incase I got one wrong?

The paper rubric clearly states to answer no more than 7 questions in Section A. So I don't think it would make a good impression if you deliberately answered more than that.
The paper rubric clearly states to answer no more than 7 questions in Section A. So I don't think it would make a good impression if you deliberately answered more than that.

Oh I thought it was like step where the best 6 answers are taken but you can answer as many as you please, guess I misread :P

Thanks!

Do you know if we'll get method marks in this exam? Or are the questions too short that you only score for correct answers?
Reply 66
I'm not a CompSci applicant, but I am a maths one, so I'll try my hand at a few of these questions, or just pick a few and do them in several ways. :-)

Q1:

Method 1:

Spoiler

Method 2:

Spoiler

Q25:

Method 1:

Spoiler

Method 2:

FLT:

Spoiler

I think we will get method marks. Back when they first released the questions in September the answer paper only had space to write the answer but later they corrected it so that we have to write our whole working on the answer paper. So I'm assuming that like at the interview they want to see how we think when approaching an unfamiliar problem instead of just seeing the answers (since in questions like the one with the stairs someone could take the not so wise approach of trying every single combination to count them).
Original post by Zacken
I'm not a CompSci applicant, but I am a maths one, so I'll try my hand at a few of these questions, or just pick a few and do them in several ways. :-)

Q1:

Method 1:

Spoiler

Method 2:

Spoiler

Q25:

Method 1:

Spoiler

Method 2:

FLT:

Spoiler

Thanks for making this! I need some general tips though. For question 25, method 1.

You seemed to have just known to rewrite that last bracket in that form... So that you got the product of 5 consecutive integers. How on earth did you just decide to do this? I would never even think of doing that?!?! How can I make these amazing decisions? xD
Thanks for making this! I need some general tips though. For question 25, method 1.

You seemed to have just known to rewrite that last bracket in that form... So that you got the product of 5 consecutive integers. How on earth did you just decide to do this? I would never even think of doing that?!?! How can I make these amazing decisions? xD

Because in n consecutive integers , at least one of them is divisible by n. Since he knew this, he approached the question wanting to use that property. That is one of the most common way to prove that an expression is divisible by n - writing it as product of n cons. integers.

If you do enough questions, you will eventually see a similar question and you would know what to do. And if you see a unfamiliar problem? One of the biggest tricks in academics is to make an unfamiliar problem into a familiar problem and then you can solve it immediately. But that comes with practice. For me, I participate in national team training (hue,hue) never made the team tho.
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess I will solve A3 since it is really trivial and give some hints.

Try to get to 5! :P just a 4 step problem.

14) Try plugging in some values and find the pattern.

16) Hint: Casework and some combo to see pattern

17) Instead of trying to solving for two lines at once, use one of the lines and the diagonal to create a region that is 1/6 of the square

25) When n = a times b , and x divides a and b for coprime a, b, x divides n
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by ForeignStudent32
Because in n consecutive integers , at least one of them is divisible by n. Since he knew this, he approached the question wanting to use that property. That is one of the most common way to prove that an expression is divisible by n - writing it as product of n cons. integers.

If you do enough questions, you will eventually see a similar question and you would know what to do. And if you see a unfamiliar problem? One of the biggest tricks in academics is to make an unfamiliar problem into a familiar problem and then you can solve it immediately. But that comes with practice. For me, I participate in national team training (hue,hue) never made the team tho.

A product of rr consecutive integers is divisible by r!r!.
Original post by Zacken

............... That is kind of obvious ==" by decreasing values of r.
Reply 73

... I know it's obvious. Just like what you said was obvious...

Original post by Zacken

Are you basically saying that it's a general technique when checking if an algebraic expression is divisible by a number n? Find a way to express it into only multiples of consecutive (or single) integers, so that by using the factors of n we can try to find a way to factorise that expression so that it gives n x something?

Original post by Zacken
... I know it's obvious. Just like what you said was obvious...

2 Maths genuines basically just calling me stupid :lol:
Reply 75
Are you basically saying that it's a general technique when checking if an algebraic expression is divisible by a number n? Find a way to express it into only multiples of consecutive (or single) integers, so that by using the factors of n we can try to find a way to factorise that expression so that it gives n x something?

2 Maths genuines basically just calling me stupid :lol:

Well, no, not really. A general technique when given a polynomial-like algebraic expression is to factorise it.

And no, of course not! You're not stupid at all. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Well, no, not really. A general technique when given a polynomial-like algebraic expression is to factorise it.

And no, of course not! You're not stupid at all. :smile:

Yeah I understand the factorising idea, but seeing you turn (n^2 + 1) into (n^2 - 4 + 5) then just deciding to take the 5 out was just what everyone just skips over? Like, you just did it, I wouldn't even think of doing that xD Hopefully I'll learn to do this more often - rewrite the bracket in a seemingly random way, but actually do it strategically in order to help me in a later step. Thinking about this, it almost requires you to know what you're doing backwards, so you can specifically search for a way to put it in this particular form.

Haha I'll take that, you're definitely one of the better mathematicians I see on these forums :smile:
Reply 77
Yeah I understand the factorising idea, but seeing you turn (n^2 + 1) into (n^2 - 4 + 5) then just deciding to take the 5 out was just what everyone just skips over? Like, you just did it, I wouldn't even think of doing that xD Hopefully I'll learn to do this more often - rewrite the bracket in a seemingly random way, but actually do it strategically in order to help me in a later step. Thinking about this, it almost requires you to know what you're doing backwards, so you can specifically search for a way to put it in this particular form.

Haha I'll take that, you're definitely one of the better mathematicians I see on these forums :smile:

Sometimes you kinda just need to rewrite things the way you want them
For example: let's say you want to integrate xx+1dx\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{x+1} \, \mathrm{d}x it doesn't look so easy, but if you just add 0 to the numerator (in a specific way), you get

x+11x+1=x+1x+11x+1=11x+1\displaystyle \frac{x+1 - 1}{x+1} = \frac{x+1}{x+1} - \frac{1}{x+1} = 1 - \frac{1}{x+1}

which is very easy to integrate. You get xlnx+1+cx - \ln |x+1| + c

That's very kind of you. :smile:
Here is my attempt at Q17.

AreaofA=16AreaofsquareAreaofA=b2612(bx)(12b)=b2614(bx)=b6x4=b4b6x=b3Area\quad of\quad A\quad =\quad \frac { 1 }{ 6 } Area\quad of\quad square\\ Area\quad of\quad A\quad =\quad \frac { { b }^{ 2 } }{ 6 } \\ \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \left( b-x \right) \left( \frac { 1 }{ 2 } b \right) =\frac { { b }^{ 2 } }{ 6 } \\ \frac { 1 }{ 4 } \left( b-x \right) =\frac { { b } }{ 6 } \\ \frac { x }{ 4 } =\frac { b }{ 4 } -\frac { b }{ 6 } \\ x\quad =\quad \frac { b }{ 3 }

So you cut b/3 away from the corner.
Original post by Zacken
Sometimes you kinda just need to rewrite things the way you want them
For example: let's say you want to integrate xx+1dx\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{x+1} \, \mathrm{d}x it doesn't look so easy, but if you just add 0 to the numerator (in a specific way), you get

x+11x+1=x+1x+11x+1=11x+1\displaystyle \frac{x+1 - 1}{x+1} = \frac{x+1}{x+1} - \frac{1}{x+1} = 1 - \frac{1}{x+1}

which is very easy to integrate. You get xlnx+1+cx - \ln |x+1| + c

That's very kind of you. :smile:

So how would you decide when you need to do this? I can understand, now, using it when it for a "show that" question, so you manipulate it to be in a similar form as the answer given. But when it simply wants the answer, how would you know to do this? How would I know that I can simplify it?

Btw I've never actually known, but it is always true that the integral of [a times f(x)] is the same as a times the integral of [f(x)]

Latest

Trending

Trending