The Student Room Group

Does smoking 1/2 cigarretes a day - lead to any long term damage?

Whilst the claims are over exaggerated with tv ads etc.

Is there any real damage in smoking probably 1 cigarette on average.

So far my voice has gone deeper, but that's the only thing I have noticed :l

Sometimes I smoke 2, and other times I can go for a week without having one.

Just wondering.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mihael_Keehl

Just wondering.

In the long term, you can get addicted so end up smoking 10+ a day.

Then the other consequences will obviously follow.
Smoking itself is a harmful thing!! Do you now how much of carcinogens enter your body each time you smoke a puff??

Helooooo?? Lung cancer, smokers cough, many other cancers annd other side effects??

Aint nobody want yellow skin/fingers in the future

Even if you "only" smoke 1/2 PER day. Thats damnn plenty to get addicted to the nicotine in the cigarettes and quitting when its too late ain't gonna do anything.

Honestly please do stop :frown:
Yes it still is harmful long term. You are still taking in chemicals you shouldn't be.
Original post by champ_mc99
In the long term, you can get addicted so end up smoking 10+ a day.

Then the other consequences will obviously follow.

So the real dangers will present itself in future then.

So at least in short term that minor smoking is negligilbe in terms of any effects.

Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Smoking itself is a harmful thing!! Do you now how much of carcinogens enter your body each time you smoke a puff??

Helooooo?? Lung cancer, smokers cough, many other cancers annd other side effects??

Aint nobody want yellow skin/fingers in the future

Even if you "only" smoke 1/2 PER day. Thats damnn plenty to get addicted to the nicotine in the cigarettes and quitting when its too late ain't gonna do anything.

Honestly please do stop :frown:

I have espoused a slight cough.

Hmmn I sometimes wear gloves when it is cold/windy and I usually wash my hands after smoking.

Thanks for the advice though :l
Original post by Vikingninja
Yes it still is harmful long term. You are still taking in chemicals you shouldn't be.

Do you know how long any effects would take if I assume this constant rate :l

Yes CO is not fun :/
So the real dangers will present itself in future then.

So at least in short term that minor smoking is negligilbe in terms of any effects.

Meh I guess, in terms of "real dangers" yeah. But then again, everyone's bodies are different. I've even read somewhere the in terms of smoking, women are more susceptible to dangers than men. And whilst a light smoker can come across harm in a short period, a heavy smoker may never in their lives.
Meh I guess, in terms of "real dangers" yeah. But then again, everyone's bodies are different. I've even read somewhere the in terms of smoking, women are more susceptible to dangers than men. And whilst a light smoker can come across harm in a short period, a heavy smoker may never in their lives.

I see, thanks for the info.

No probs. Hope you make the right choice! :wink:
Statistically, a pack of cigarettes, give or take a few, takes half an hour off your life, in other words every year you would be losing about half a statistical day, and that assumes that you weren't increasing the amount you smoked.
Girls and smoking , ewww. Anyway overtime it would do damage , worst thing is you'll probably start smoking more in order to have the same effect , some **** like that/
Original post by Jammy Duel
Statistically, a pack of cigarettes, give or take a few, takes half an hour off your life, in other words every year you would be losing about half a statistical day, and that assumes that you weren't increasing the amount you smoked.

I have read something similar to this too.

This assumes that I do not die via other ways though :/
Reply 12
If you were able to stick to that amount for the rest of your life, then yeah, the health effect would probably be negligible (other than maybe a cough/more regular colds). But that's a big if. I used to be the same. I went multiple years on 1-2 a day, if that. Going a week or two without smoking wasn't particularly difficult.

But then you go to a festival. It's ok, it's a festival! Normal rules don't apply! You don't normally smoke 5 in a day, but hey, other people are, and it passes the time while you're waiting for acts etc.

But you're fine, and within a week or two, you're back to your usual amount. Maybe a touch more, but it's barely noticeable.

Next year, numbers go up again. This time, you smoke a bit more than 1-2 a day afterwards, but hey, you're just coming off all that nicotine, you shouldn't go cold turkey.

Then something hard happens. You smoke a bit more. You have to, to cope. Then you have that piece of work to do. So stressful. Better have a cigarette to relax.

Now you're bored with friends. Have a cigarette. Anxious/bored at a party. Cigarette.

Maybe you try a cigar, or an ecig, with more nicotine than you're used to. Hey, this is nicer than cigarettes.

More stress.

Cigarette.

More work.

Cigarette.

More boredom.

Cigarette.

Before you know it, you're up to 5-10 a day. But you can't quit like you used to be able to. Going without makes you constantly crave it. You find yourself deeply inhaling whenever you smell cigarette smoke.

This post was typed with a cigarette in hand. A few years ago, I was like you. You may think it won't happen to you. You're different. You'll be able to resist. You'll keep your smoking occasional. Others do, why can't you?

It can happen. Easily. And it sneaks up on you. Be careful.
(edited 8 years ago)

Diseases like cancer result from an acquired set of mutations that allow a cell to grow out of context with its environment. Smoking, or anything else that results in carcinogen exposure, increases the likelihood that you will acquire the 'wrong' set of mutations which leads to cancer. Hence why some people can smoke 50 a week and somehow make it to a ripe old age, and some end up with cancer with very little smoking. But what you have to remember is that ~90% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking so the odds are not in any smoker's favour there.

OP - instead of trying to justify to yourself that smoking as lightly as that 'might' not lead to long-term problems, I would use it to your advantage to try and quit. All the best to you. :smile:
There probably is, but eh I am not one to talk :redface:
I have read something similar to this too.

This assumes that I do not die via other ways though :/

Well, that's the way statistical lives work though, comparing samples with different attributes to determine what effect on a statistically perfect individual things will have.
Original post by JoeTSR
If you were able to stick to that amount for the rest of your life, then yeah, the health effect would probably be negligible (other than maybe a cough/more regular colds). But that's a big if. I used to be the same. I went multiple years on 1-2 a day, if that. Going a week or two without smoking wasn't particularly difficult.

But then you go to a festival. It's ok, it's a festival! Normal rules don't apply! You don't normally smoke 5 in a day, but hey, other people are, and it passes the time while you're waiting for acts etc.

But you're fine, and within a week or two, you're back to your usual amount. Maybe a touch more, but it's barely noticeable.

Next year, numbers go up again. This time, you smoke a bit more than 1-2 a day afterwards, but hey, you're just coming off all that nicotine, you shouldn't go cold turkey.

Then something hard happens. You smoke a bit more. You have to, to cope. Then you have that piece of work to do. So stressful. Better have a cigarette to relax.

Now you're bored with friends. Have a cigarette. Anxious/bored at a party. Cigarette.

Maybe you try a cigar, or an ecig, with more nicotine than you're used to. Hey, this is nicer than cigarettes.

More stress.

Cigarette.

More work.

Cigarette.

More boredom.

Cigarette.

Before you know it, you're up to 5-10 a day. But you can't quit like you used to be able to. Going without makes you constantly crave it. You find yourself deeply inhaling whenever you smell cigarette smoke.

This post was typed with a cigarette in hand. A few years ago, I was like you. You may think it won't happen to you. You're different. You'll be able to resist. You'll keep your smoking occasional. Others do, why can't you?

This, to be honest :redface:
Do you know how long any effects would take if I assume this constant rate :l

Yes CO is not fun :/

If you want numbers then go look it up.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, that's the way statistical lives work though, comparing samples with different attributes to determine what effect on a statistically perfect individual things will have.

Yes true, suppose it could be modelled as a poisson distribution.

Original post by spleenharvester
Diseases like cancer result from an acquired set of mutations that allow a cell to grow out of context with its environment. Smoking, or anything else that results in carcinogen exposure, increases the likelihood that you will acquire the 'wrong' set of mutations which leads to cancer. Hence why some people can smoke 50 a week and somehow make it to a ripe old age, and some end up with cancer with very little smoking. But what you have to remember is that ~90% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking so the odds are not in any smoker's favour there.

OP - instead of trying to justify to yourself that smoking as lightly as that 'might' not lead to long-term problems, I would use it to your advantage to try and quit. All the best to you. :smile:

Thank you for your comment.

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Girls and smoking , ewww. Anyway overtime it would do damage , worst thing is you'll probably start smoking more in order to have the same effect , some **** like that/

lolzz lots of girls in my class smoke for whatever justification that is :/
I see, yeah that would grow to be a problem.

Original post by JoeTSR

More stress.

Cigarette.

More work.

Cigarette.

More boredom.

Cigarette.

Quite insightful reply. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

Aside from smoking what other activities? would alleviate stress.

Just wondering.

nah it shouldn't but i smoke the odd cuban cigar for the sake of my clients

Quick Reply

Latest