The Student Room Group

COWA Access to Medicine 2015/2016

I couldn't find a recent thread for this, so I figured I'd start one! I've been accepted onto the access to medicine course at COWA for 2015/2016, for an unconditional place, just wondered if anyone else is in the same position?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm at the college now. Not doing Access, but if you have any questions let me know.
Reply 2
Hey! How are you finding the college? Are you from Kings Lynn or have you relocated?
The college is ok. Obviously you're in a huge building with every course going. But you'll find Access people stick together, this year more than last year.

The teachers are good and you're lucky because Access is given a lot more time than some other courses.

Anyway, feel free to PM me and I can give a more full review.
Reply 4
Original post by AliceLouisee
I couldn't find a recent thread for this, so I figured I'd start one! I've been accepted onto the access to medicine course at COWA for 2015/2016, for an unconditional place, just wondered if anyone else is in the same position?:smile:

Hey Alice,
i see your posting on the manchester forum aswell, Have you decided on where you will go yet ?
have you got any advice on the COWA selection processes im going down on the 11th of may,
Reply 5
Hey Pete,
Yeah, I've got a place on both, however I'm leaning more towards COWA as its more widely accepted by universities. Do you have a place at Manchester? I didn't attend the COWA selection day personally, I had a Skype interview, but it was very similar to the Manchester one, like why do you want a place on the course, what experience do you have, have you researched universities etc..
What is your background?
Reply 6
Place at cows accepted see you in September :smile:
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure everyone is coming from all over, there will be loads of us so we will all have lots of friends going through the same :smile:
Reply 8
That's awesome! See you in September! Are you planning to move down to Kings Lynn? I'm so excited to start! Have you booked your ukcat?
Reply 9
That's awesome! See you in September! Are you planning to move down to Kings Lynn? I'm so excited to start! Have you booked your ukcat?

I'm deffo moving across :smile:
I'm booking my ukcat for just before the course starts locally to Kings Lynn to give me the most time to prep, without cutting into study time on course, have you booked yet ? What are your accom plans ?
Yeah me too, I think I will most likely be moving in early August, to give myself chance to find a new job etc. I've booked it for July 14th, so I've got around 2 months to prep and time to retake, should I not be able to take it on the day!
Have you met anyone else on the course?
Hey! So I'm only 18 at the moment, I have like a year working as a psychiatric health care assistant, a multitude of customer service jobs, and like 5 years as a St john ambulance cadet, providing first aid at public events, running public first aid courses etc and two years running a weekly group for adults with learning disabilities, and like the odd week here and there of shadowing work experience in a children's hospital and in A and E
Original post by junedfile
That's really good! Have you got any Level 3 qualifications?

I'm 21. Over the last few years I've done some voluntary work in a Dog's Trust charity shop, a primary school, a high school for students with disabilities, and now I've been volunteering at a Red Cross refugee center for the last couple of months. I'm hoping to obtain some w/e in the coming weeks. I've been working at a restaurant since the age of 16, initially part-time until the age of 19 when I started full-time.

I've booked my UKCAT for the 1st of July. The results will ultimately decide if I should apply for the course this year.

That sounds awesome! I have no full level three qualifications, I started alevels and dropped out due to unforeseen circumstances at home.
Have you?
Also have you done GCSEs?
And that's so exciting! Have you started studying for it? Mines booked for like July 14th, I litterally can't wait
That sounds awesome! I have no full level three qualifications, I started alevels and dropped out due to unforeseen circumstances at home.
Have you?
Also have you done GCSEs?
And that's so exciting! Have you started studying for it? Mines booked for like July 14th, I litterally can't wait

I sat A-Levels, but I achieved poor results due to mitigating circumstances. I've done my GCSEs which are OK (enough for universities). I've started studying for it as of today. Really hope we all get good scores.
Original post by junedfile
I sat A-Levels, but I achieved poor results due to mitigating circumstances. I've done my GCSEs which are OK (enough for universities). I've started studying for it as of today. Really hope we all get good scores.

What is COWA access to medicine? never heard of it before, but it sounds interesting...
Yeah me too! It would be nice for this to be made one step easier by having a great UKCAT score! Have you thought at all about what universities you are going to apply to?
Yeah me too! It would be nice for this to be made one step easier by having a great UKCAT score! Have you thought at all about what universities you are going to apply to?

I've contacted some universities at the start of this year, and asked them if those that are completing access courses are eligible for entry onto Dentistry. Manchester and Newcastle seem to accept candidates of my background. Some of the other universities require you to be out of education for a longer period of time (5+ years).

How about yourself?
Yeah, similarly I emailed out a while ago explaining my situation and asking for their advice on whether to take a levels or do an access course, however since my GCSEs are bare minimum to get in, I don't have a multitude of choice, so I litterally have 5 to choose from
Reply 18
Yeah me too, I think I will most likely be moving in early August, to give myself chance to find a new job etc. I've booked it for July 14th, so I've got around 2 months to prep and time to retake, should I not be able to take it on the day!
Have you met anyone else on the course?

Not met anyone from the course yet, I'll look at moving soon as I can find a job in the area, I've booked my ukcat for August everyone seems to be doing it early 😳 hope everyone does well on it :smile:
Have you contacted student services for list off accom ?
Original post by PETE3546
Not met anyone from the course yet, I'll look at moving soon as I can find a job in the area, I've booked my ukcat for August everyone seems to be doing it early 😳 hope everyone does well on it :smile:
Have you contacted student services for list off accom ?

Hey!
That sounds awesome! Good luck for your UKCAT! Yeah they've sent it to me, but it's not that helpful, I have found some on the same road as the college on spare room.com, which sound good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending