The Student Room Group

New Zealand is about to remove the union jack on their flag

Don't you feel concerned? ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Can't say I am. What's their new flag looking like?
Original post by Dodgypirate

Original post by Dodgypirate

Its disrespectful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HucktheForde
Its disrespectful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah... it's their country, their choice (without sounding like a pro-choice activist).

I just find it's ugly and sloppy.
Do you find it concerning? If so, why?
I like the new flag, the combination of black white and blue is unusual. and the British flag is now the flag of a banana republic tbh
Nope. It's their country, they can do as they please.
Reply 9
I preferred the one with the kiwi that looked like it had been drawn by a 4yr old.
Except it appears from the linked article that they aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't concern me a single bit
A necessary expression of individuality. It's a bit like the teenage child dying their hair green to appear less like their parents; important for their own psychological state but nevertheless unsightly.
Countries are free to change their flags, I do not see why it should be of concern to us here, people won't be able to identify this flag any better than the last and it makes the locals happy.
Reply 14
Reminds me of cannabis, mellow man.
Actually they are voting on a flag that would go up against the current flag to decide, odds are union jack inclsuive flag will easily win.
They had a national competition to come up with a new flag design. Personally, I think this entry which shows their national bird the Kiwi is probably best;

Reply 17
The new flag is very nice looking.
As an Aussie born dual Brit-Australian citizen, I have to say I've become more positive about the union jack the longer I live in the UK.

In fact, all British institutions have grown on me since I came to live here. I used to be a republican, now I'm faintly in favour of retaining the current system. I now support the House of Lords. It's insidious, like some form of Stockholm Syndrome.

As such, I'd prefer Australia and New Zealand keep the Union Jack, it has less to do with England per se than it is a symbol of being born of the British Empire, being a common-law parliamentary democracy, and so on.
It's almost like the British empire is crumbling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending