The Student Room Group

USA vs UK where should I study ?

Hello everybody, I want to study either in USA or UK computer science, but I am not sure what are the pros and cons of each of the options. I know that degrees are more expensive in USA, but I heard that educational system is better and more practical. As an international is harder to integrate in a foreign country , but I've read some statistics according to which discrimination is lower in USA toward other nationalities. I also have to take the SAT which seems pretty hard. Which do you think is a better option and what are the pros and cons ? Thank you very much for your patience to read this.
Have you done the research into what each degree is like and do you know what you can do with those degrees?
Reply 2
Original post by ahmshere
Hello everybody, I want to study either in USA or UK computer science, but I am not sure what are the pros and cons of each of the options. I know that degrees are more expensive in USA, but I heard that educational system is better and more practical. As an international is harder to integrate in a foreign country , but I've read some statistics according to which discrimination is lower in USA toward other nationalities. I also have to take the SAT which seems pretty hard. Which do you think is a better option and what are the pros and cons ? Thank you very much for your patience to read this.

I don't know which is better. I would just like to warn you; It is tough to apply to American universities as a foreigner, simply because everything in their application process is biased towards it. Some universities don't know any grading system a part from your own, some of the stuff in the SATs are things you might never have done before (it's really easy once you learn it, but you do have to learn it all), and the essays you have to write are in a whole other "tone" than most people outside the US are used to.

In an essay to the US, you have to almost produce an emotional speech about your motivation for going to the university. (may be slightly exaggerated).
On the contrary, in the UK personal statement everything is more to the point and not as "mushy-gushy". Same goes for your teachers' recommendations, where in the UK they are to the point about your skills and qualities, whereas in the US they tend to focus more about you how you are a gift to the world, and probably will become the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg (in your case as pursuing Computer Science).

I would like to note that this is not criticism of the US education system, or their application system for that matter; The US have the best educational institutions in the world in a variety of areas.
I just want to note that that's what you can expect. And for the record, most of these "practices" is something I would expect US teenagers to have been practicing all way through high school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnwiley

In an essay to the US, you have to almost produce an emotional speech about how an experience from kindergarden made you want to do Neuroscience (may be slightly exaggerated).
On the contrary, in the UK personal statement everything is more to the point and not as "mushy-gushy". Same goes for your teachers' recommendations, where in the UK they are to the point about your skills and qualities, whereas in the US they tend to focus more about you how you are a gift to the world, and probably will become the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg (in your case as pursuing Computer Science).

Bold is not true.

It does not have to relate to your major at all
Discrimination is lower in the US than the UK? News to me...
Reply 5
Original post by Student403
Bold is not true.

It does not have to relate to your major at all

Thanks for correcting me. I have edited my post accordingly now.
Original post by ahmshere

The Fees in US are much higher and it makes sense to pay anything over $40k if you get into MIT,Stanford or any Ivy league or top university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking a CS degree in USA is better than in UK. This is because there are loads of giant tech companies in USA where you can get internships, from Facebook and Google to snapchat and qhora. Internships in USA also pays a lot, we're talking atleast 6k - 8k$ per month so as a student you can make a lot of money in the summer to support your studies. Where as in the uk, we got nothing, there aren't that many hard core CS companies. Also if you get into one of the top ones like Stanford, then you're set for life my friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending