The Student Room Group

Could this be a joke?

Hi,

I'm 16 years old, and I'm in year 12. I've been talking to a guy on Facebook for over 4 hours now. We're kind of acquaintances.

Anyway, he's asked me if I wanted to go to the cinema some time this week, and I said yes.

But in the conversation we've been having on Facebook, he's been saying stuff like 'you're awesome', 'you're better', and I know it sounds crazy to question it, but I just have a hard time trusting people. I'm just anxious in case this is a big joke on me or something.

I don't think he's the kind of guy to do that, he could just be super nice.

But I've never had this sort of attention from a guy before, so I'm finding it a bit hard to figure out what's normal, and what's not.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Original post by wof23
Hi,

I'm 16 years old, and I'm in year 12. I've been talking to a guy on Facebook for over 4 hours now. We're kind of acquaintances.

Anyway, he's asked me if I wanted to go to the cinema some time this week, and I said yes.

But in the conversation we've been having on Facebook, he's been saying stuff like 'you're awesome', 'you're better', and I know it sounds crazy to question it, but I just have a hard time trusting people. I'm just anxious in case this is a big joke on me or something.

I don't think he's the kind of guy to do that, he could just be super nice.

But I've never had this sort of attention from a guy before, so I'm finding it a bit hard to figure out what's normal, and what's not.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thank you.

This guy sounds like he may be:

a) A sweet talker who uses compliments to keep you interested
b) One of those "nice guys" who thinks that they are entitled to a date or something of the sort just for being "nice".

The former is fine, the latter not so much. He barely knows you so will not know what you're like. That being said don't judge him just yet. If you're meeting him at the cinema you'll get a better idea of the type of guy he is. You are right not to be a very trusting person; there is no need to push people away but at the same time being cautious means that they can't take advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending