The Student Room Group

Why do people with darker skin never dye their hair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MaskedOne00
I agree. People are categorised vainly in terms of colour. Not even intending to be racist but you can either be black or white? No one actually cares if your a mocha coffee frappe brown. I am being general not a pendatic

So you think everyone who isn't white is black?
Original post by Dinasaurus

Fine. That was quite vain. -.- Silly me. But all in all if you're not white, you're another colour. If I wanted to be scrupulous I would give my exact shade of colour. But sometimes simplifying things is much easier than going into detail. Nonetheless, you are right. I shouldn't be vain.
Funny how this went to dark skinned people not often seen with dyed hair to differentiating between skin tones.

Kudos to your point on heritage. That's a tough statement. But that is a different matter in itself. is it not?
I see lots of darker skinned people with dyed hair. I'm mixed race & sometimes dye my hair red. I've had it blonde before as well & am thinking about trying out purple. If you're talking about really bright/ neon colours I've seen this as well- I saw a black girl a few days ago with bright blue hair. OK, you don't see it often but you don't see that many white people with hair like this either so don't know if its really less common for darker skinned people.
Original post by ForestShadow
Good point OP heres some pics for reference

Niqqas trim looking like a glock 17

hair cut.png
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
I've always dyed mine, it looks more flattering chestnut/mahogany brown than it does black.
Fine. That was quite vain. -.- Silly me. But all in all if you're not white, you're another colour. If I wanted to be scrupulous I would give my exact shade of colour. But sometimes simplifying things is much easier than going into detail. Nonetheless, you are right. I shouldn't be vain.
Funny how this went to dark skinned people not often seen with dyed hair to differentiating between skin tones.

Yeah the topic kinda derailed haha. Yeah I wanted to specify darker skin in the title instead of 'black' skin cause I didn't want to make it about heritage or anything other than skin tone.
Original post by Alesha1991
I see lots of darker skinned people with dyed hair. I'm mixed race & sometimes dye my hair red. I've had it blonde before as well & am thinking about trying out purple. If you're talking about really bright/ neon colours I've seen this as well- I saw a black girl a few days ago with bright blue hair. OK, you don't see it often but you don't see that many white people with hair like this either so don't know if its really less common for darker skinned people.

True.
I'm black I've had pink hair, purple hair and red hair before.
Yeah black people are darker skinned but I didn't mean only black people.

Black generally doesn't mean skin tone but heritage, some very light people consider themselves black.

Whereas some Asians or whatever else have darker skin than those black people.

I have an Auntie with the same complexion as Mariah Carey, she considers herself black but she's definitely lighter than a lot of people I know.

I wasn't speaking for all darker skinned people i was just showing an example of black people.
Theres no considering yourself black, you're either black or your not, it depends on your heritage. Regardless of skin shade. I gave an example of some black people.
Original post by Alesha1991

This is so true ! I cant remember the last time i saw anyone with brightly coloured hair in rl tbf. Ive only seen people of all skin tones having that silver/lilac hair colour recently.
Threads like these make me sigh deeply.
Reply 72
Original post by Youngmetro
It looks butters thats why

Do you trust me?
Original post by NekoAngel13
You can't generalise the topic like that.
Mostly it's preference.
In general having darker hair is harder to dye and maintain. It requires stronger bleach to lift and that might put some people off.
Some people prefer having natural hair. Curly and frizzy hair is difficult to manage as it is without adding dyeing and bleaching into the mix. It's a tricky to work with hair type that doesn't take colour well.

Blonde and red aren't natural colours for darker skin. It's very rare to be naturally blonde and have darker skin.
It isn't a cultural thing, people will do it if they want to. If people don't want to then they won't. Some people just prefer natural colours so you might see them but not notice it. Henna is quite commonly used in India and over here to colour hair.

Like any style, it can look good if it's done right.
Also just because you don't see them, it doesn't mean that darker people with dyed hair don't exist. You just might not see them in your area, y'know?

Perfecly said. :smile:
really? Dark skinned people are the ones who are always getting dissed for their colourful hair, mostly ever see them with colour.
Original post by jenigma

Go back to that thread where you were dissing that Rob fella lmao.
(edited 8 years ago)
Go back to that thread where you were dissing that Rob fella lmao.

Why
Original post by jenigma
Why

Simply because it's funny
Original post by jenigma

Why?

Original post by xobeauty
really? Dark skinned people are the ones who are always getting dissed for their colourful hair, mostly ever see them with colour.

I've honestly never seen it, it was mainly the white kids at school with crazy hair colours. There was one Pakistani girl who dyed her hair like 20 different colours but that was it.
I was thinking about what it would look like and I can't imagine it, I've occasionally seen some black people with like blonde hair or girls with like red hair but I've never seen a black or brown person with like dyed hair, why does it rarely happen?

Is it cultural or does it just not look as good?

They do!!

Quick Reply

Latest