The Student Room Group

University references and how they work??

From a school/ college how many references do Uni's ask for? Would it have to be from at least two teachers or just one? My personal tutor, who teaches me geography, is lovely and I'm sure she'll do a very positive reference for me, however my history teacher, I'm not sure if he will. In my mocks I got a good grade however, me and my friend do talk a lot throughout his lesson, and he has to tell us to stop quite a lot, I'm just really worried he'll write this in my reference and this will hinder me from getting into the uni I want to go to. Is this likely that he'll mention this?
Original post by ambermariemorgan
From a school/ college how many references do Uni's ask for? Would it have to be from at least two teachers or just one? My personal tutor, who teaches me geography, is lovely and I'm sure she'll do a very positive reference for me, however my history teacher, I'm not sure if he will. In my mocks I got a good grade however, me and my friend do talk a lot throughout his lesson, and he has to tell us to stop quite a lot, I'm just really worried he'll write this in my reference and this will hinder me from getting into the uni I want to go to. Is this likely that he'll mention this?

Normally one designated teacher does references, for example the head of sixth form or a personal tutor and they will get comments from your teacher. For ucas you just need one, occasionally some courses want a second but that's rare.
Original post by ambermariemorgan

UCAS references are usually put together by one person, such as your form tutor, from smaller reports by all your subject teachers. If your history teacher feels that you don't have the level of concentration required to cope with university study, he may put it into his section if he feels like it, and it depends on the policy of the school as to how this kind of thing is handled. Moral - don't talk when you obviously know you shouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest