The Student Room Group

Applying through clearing?

This question is more on the behalf of someone else - I don’t really get how the reference works for clearing?

Someone I know is applying late for admission this year, and ALREADY HAVE their A-level results. They understand they will need to contact unis to secure a vacancy - however, they can’t get in contact with sixth form (it’s summer) in order to get the reference ? What can they do? Should they do an individual reference? Will the unis consider them if they can only provide a reference for September? They are keen to secure a place before the mayhem of results day. Any advice?
What universities are they hoping to apply for? Most of the more competitive universities will likely be full by now and won’t consider applications anyway. Further, universities can take weeks to respond especially to applications. By this point clearing will have opened anyway.

Further, in order to apply to university through clearing you must have an existing UCAS account setup and ready to go, which I believe includes references from sixth form too.

Based on this I’d either try to contact the chosen universities quickly and explain the situation, or reconsider my options (such as taking a gap year).

I had a similar experience last year. My sixth form would not improve my predicted grades so I could not apply for the university I wanted. I took a gap year and applied to university this year (with my achieved grades, which were better than my predicted grades).

Try not to rush into any university that will have you. On the grand scheme of things taking a gap year to reconsider and really perfect your application is not a bad thing.
They need to ask the clearing uni what their reference requirements are. They may not need one at all, or they may be fine with an employers reference.
Reply 3
Original post by Eddiecooper
What universities are they hoping to apply for? Most of the more competitive universities will likely be full by now and won’t consider applications anyway. Further, universities can take weeks to respond especially to applications. By this point clearing will have opened anyway.

Further, in order to apply to university through clearing you must have an existing UCAS account setup and ready to go, which I believe includes references from sixth form too.

Based on this I’d either try to contact the chosen universities quickly and explain the situation, or reconsider my options (such as taking a gap year).

I had a similar experience last year. My sixth form would not improve my predicted grades so I could not apply for the university I wanted. I took a gap year and applied to university this year (with my achieved grades, which were better than my predicted grades).

Try not to rush into any university that will have you. On the grand scheme of things taking a gap year to reconsider and really perfect your application is not a bad thing.

They have a specific uni in mind. We did our A-levels 2 years ago now, so I don’t think they’re really keen on waiting another year for the new applications to cycle round. I’m just wondering if things can go ahead with some kind of provisional reference, as they can’t contact our old sixth form during summer.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
They need to ask the clearing uni what their reference requirements are. They may not need one at all, or they may be fine with an employers reference.

Okay, I’ll suggest they call them ASAP, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending