The Student Room Group

Want to change name.

Hello,

I want to change name but am not sure how to begin doing this and how this will affect everything.

I've got a place at a University and just realised that on my ID it's gonna have my current name on there.... so was just wondering what I should do?
my name got changed when i was 7
:smile:
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

I want to change name but am not sure how to begin doing this and how this will affect everything.

I've got a place at a University and just realised that on my ID it's gonna have my current name on there.... so was just wondering what I should do?

You will need to get yourself a deed poll, you can buy one online, if you pay more for an enrolled one and official copy gets kept somewhere. https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview You then need to phone or write a letter to everyone with your records and they should change it for you, you ll need a new passport and driving license done i believe both will have a fee to do this. Your uni should be able to give you a new id and if you're quick enough you can change it with your exam boards so your a level certificates will be in your new name. When i changed my name it took a good month to get everything in my new name. Oh and finally you cant actually change whats on your birth certificate.

I changed mine 4 years ago when i was 17 so if you need any help let me know :smile:
Why do you want to change your name?
Reply 4
It's pretty straightforward and free to do. The most time-consuming part is informing everyone of your new name. This site has full instructions: http://freedeedpoll.org.uk/
Original post by claireestelle
You will need to get yourself a deed poll, you can buy one online, if you pay more for an enrolled one and official copy gets kept somewhere. https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview You then need to phone or write a letter to everyone with your records and they should change it for you, you ll need a new passport and driving license done i believe both will have a fee to do this. Your uni should be able to give you a new id and if you're quick enough you can change it with your exam boards so your a level certificates will be in your new name. When i changed my name it took a good month to get everything in my new name. Oh and finally you cant actually change whats on your birth certificate.

I changed mine 4 years ago when i was 17 so if you need any help let me know :smile:

I had not considered the passport and driving license.... that'd be a good £100 there....

Perhaps I should keep my current name as my official name and the name I'd like to change it to as, kind of, a stage name of sorts or something?

You don't need to pay for a deed poll.
I had not considered the passport and driving license.... that'd be a good £100 there....

Perhaps I should keep my current name as my official name and the name I'd like to change it to as, kind of, a stage name of sorts or something?

How long is left on your passport? They would put 9 months on the new one if there's any left over. I believe it is technically legal to keep your passport in your old name until it expires but you have to change your driving license for sure.Name changes are free for driving licenses though :smile:
How long is left on your passport? They would put 9 months on the new one if there's any left over. I believe it is technically legal to keep your passport in your old name until it expires but you have to change your driving license for sure.Name changes are free for driving licenses though :smile:

Ah. I might consider it.

I kind of feel I have to do it now what with going to University, otherwise I'll be stuck with my old name or something.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You don't need to pay for a deed poll.

Sorry yes you can write your own for free :smile: My bank was funny about having a DIY one so ended up paying for one in the end.
Ah. I might consider it.

I kind of feel I have to do it now what with going to University, otherwise I'll be stuck with my old name or something.

I mean yeah it does take time to change stuff but you wont be stuck if you dont change it now, although it would probably be easier.
Reply 11
You can simply email Deedpoll your predicament. They reply fast so it won't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending