The Student Room Group

Edexcel as-level physics new syllabus for 2015 onward???

Hi everyone,
I am currently studying edexcel as-level physics for the new 2015 syllabus and am set to sit the first exam on may 24th. As there is only 4 specimen papers, (2 of which only teachers can get access to) I am quite worried as even the exam board have said that they are not entirely sure about the style of question compared to the old 2008 syllabus.
Just for the sake of question practice I have managed to do all of the Unit 1: Physics on the Go and Unit 2: Physics at Work exam papers some how managing to secure solid A's in all of them. But I am more than scared of what edexcel are gonna do for the new ones and from the look of the specimen papers is seems the style of question is gonna be different compared to what it was and undoubtedly harder.
I was just wondering what anyone else doing this syllabus is using to revise. My school has taken the Salters Horners approach and so far, this book seems to be the most in depth and the most helpful along with past papers. I am not a fan of the 2015 student book or any CGP book whatsoever but it seems like no book is able to give me even half the skills I needed for what I have seen in the specimen papers.
If anyone else is doing this new specification can you please share with me what it is you are doing to revise for this cause I am very stuck with about 6 weeks until the first one.
I can't be the only one that has this issue surely and if this is the case edexcel should be prepared for the worst?

Many Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by coo11ard
Hi everyone,
I am currently studying edexcel as-level physics for the new 2015 syllabus and am set to sit the first exam on may 24th. As there is only 4 specimen papers, (2 of which only teachers can get access to) I am quite worried as even the exam board have said that they are not entirely sure about the style of question compared to the old 2008 syllabus.
Just for the sake of question practice I have managed to do all of the Unit 1: Physics on the Go and Unit 2: Physics at Work exam papers some how managing to secure solid A's in all of them. But I am more than scared of what edexcel are gonna do for the new ones and from the look of the specimen papers is seems the style of question is gonna be different compared to what it was and undoubtedly harder.
I was just wondering what anyone else doing this syllabus is using to revise. My school has taken the Salters Horners approach and so far, this book seems to be the most in depth and the most helpful along with past papers. I am not a fan of the 2015 student book or any CGP book whatsoever but it seems like no book is able to give me even half the skills I needed for what I have seen in the specimen papers.
If anyone else is doing this new specification can you please share with me what it is you are doing to revise for this cause I am very stuck with about 6 weeks until the first one.
I can't be the only one that has this issue surely and if this is the case edexcel should be prepared for the worst?

Many Thanks

Yup, It's driving me nuts specially how the Specimen Paper doesn't feel right a physics paper anymore even our physics teacher said that and he is the head of physics in our school.
But however we have to keep in mind that it's a specimen papers so they are well known for being bad comparing to the real thing.
Reply 3
Original post by Cake_Chan
Yup, It's driving me nuts specially how the Specimen Paper doesn't feel right a physics paper anymore even our physics teacher said that and he is the head of physics in our school.
But however we have to keep in mind that it's a specimen papers so they are well known for being bad comparing to the real thing.

I am only worried about these cause I want good predictions for A2. The fact that AS is a stand alone qualification puts me a little bit more at ease but I'm still looking to get at least a B. I'm gonna have 2 physics mocks soon which is gonna be the two spec papers only teachers and tutors get access to. If that goes well i'll be a little bit less worried but my teacher said he has seen it and compared to the one we can see you have to read between the lines a little bit more so i'm just hoping for the best.
Reply 4
I am only worried about these cause I want good predictions for A2. The fact that AS is a stand alone qualification puts me a little bit more at ease but I'm still looking to get at least a B. I'm gonna have 2 physics mocks soon which is gonna be the two spec papers only teachers and tutors get access to. If that goes well i'll be a little bit less worried but my teacher said he has seen it and compared to the one we can see you have to read between the lines a little bit more so i'm just hoping for the best.

my school hasnt given us the second specimen papers? if you get access im in desperateneed of more papers to do.
Reply 5
Original post by septermus
my school hasnt given us the second specimen papers? if you get access im in desperateneed of more papers to do.

I won't be able to get access to a file of the specimen papers until after i've done them both. I'm doing one on the 28th of April and another one on the 3rd of May so I can ask for clean copies after then.
I just found out that some of the questions from the new specimen were on my recent mock. A lot of the new questions look like 'Using a suitable calculation, discuss whether the data in the question supports the claim'. One of the questions in the new specimen was prove that at terminal velocity, v = 4πr^3(p-p0)g/3.
Do you have the clean copies now because im in need of more revision because we are going to be given the pixl papers as mocks so the clean copies would be really good to try.
I won't be able to get access to a file of the specimen papers until after i've done them both. I'm doing one on the 28th of April and another one on the 3rd of May so I can ask for clean copies after then.
I just found out that some of the questions from the new specimen were on my recent mock. A lot of the new questions look like 'Using a suitable calculation, discuss whether the data in the question supports the claim'. One of the questions in the new specimen was prove that at terminal velocity, v = 4πr^3(p-p0)g/3.

Hi do you have the clean copies available now ?

Quick Reply

Latest