The Student Room Group

More than half of British Muslims say homosexuality should be outlawed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HanSoloLuck
You could check the ICM website for that information, surprised no one has commented on that as of yet in this thread.

As I said earlier, this will be part of a documentary airing on channel 4 on Tuesday night, I think it's Tuesday, if you are interested about it.

There was a lot more in the stats, such as, one third thought Sharia should be brought in.

I want to watch it. Remember what it's called?

EDIT: Found it. "What British Muslims really think" on Wednesday.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99
I want to watch it. Remember what it's called?

No sorry, I never knew the name, my sister was talking about it.

I checked the article, it's Wednesday night documentary, hosted by Trevor Philips. If you look at any TV guide/listing or even channel 4's website it should be fairly self evident which program it is.

I'm about to go to bed so goodluck finding it, between 5 and 9 pm would be the obvious time to look. Again should take 5 mins if you're lucky. I'm just really tired and I cannot brain anymore lol.

I checked the article, it's Wednesday night documentary, hosted by Trevor Philips. If you look at any TV guide/listing or even channel 4's website it should be fairly self evident which program it is.

I'm about to go to bed so goodluck finding it, between 5 and 9 pm would be the obvious time to look. Again should take 5 mins if you're lucky. I'm just really tired and I cannot brain anymore lol.

Yeah I found it. Cheers.
'Goes looking on his map'

You mean African.

Not really, the nation does not have an indigenous population. Although a large amount of people are African or part African, nothing specifies that someone from Seychelles is ethnically African.
Reply 224
Original post by The_Opinion
Gay marriage will likely be repealed in a couple of decades.

It will not be long until Muslim Brotherhood party / parties appear and start to gain MP's.

They don't need it as long as the Labour continues to work for them. Then when the idiots that run this party realise that they have been duped, it will be too late.The Muslim Brotherhood will get MPs and entire cities.
Reply 225

Has your sister got ass?
Original post by Mactotaur
I doubt it. It got passed by a Conservative government, and we're not likely to see a majority radical-religion government any time soon. UKIP is one of the most controversial parties around at the moment, and they only got less than 13% of all the votes.

It also looks like, of the few people actually voting, not many of them are Muslim.

Original post by champ_mc99
I highly doubt it. Even if these extreme parties appear (which I doubt too), they won't be able to convince the masses, which currently seem to support LGBT.

They have support in the form of the Labour party. The vast majority of Muslim voters vote for the Labour party, this will certainly change.

What you have to consider, is what people would actually vote for, gay marriage is not a vote decider for the majority of non-gay people, whilst they may slightly agree, disagree or be neutral on the issue, they will not vote for a party just to defend it. Additionally, the Muslim population (like most immigrant groups) is not spread out throughout the country, but in pockets, pockets that do have their own MP's (just look at how George Galloway got elected, by aiming for the Muslim vote).

When these parties spring up, they will grow rapidly, then they can begin to lobby against gay marriage and other issues where they will find some extent of support from the general population.

Again, you need to consider demographics, in 20 years or so, these regions will only grow and with postal voting (another Labour party issue), they can ensure victory, as the head of the household can demand the votes go to his favourite party.
Original post by Josb
We are concerned that Muslims hate gays. It is our fu**ing business.

And homosexuality is not a lifestyle. It's decided in utero.

And how is it your business ? Elaborate please
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D

Well, if all Muslims did hate gay people, it would definitely be gay people's business.

I have members of my family who are part of the LGBT community as well as friends.

So it's my business
Reply 230

Because such a widespread hate can only have terrible consequences for them. Passively watching this angst rising is like being an accomplice to the catastrophe that will follow.

It's like in the 1930s when we passively watched a death cult growing in another country - you know how it ended.
(edited 8 years ago)
As a queer person myself I honestly would say I wouldn't say that it was a massive problem, at the moment. The sample was of 1,802 muslims, which, while is a big number, is in no way a big enough size to state that over half muslims hate gays/want gay marriage banned, and also there is potential that there has been a sampling error or something of that kind, and I would hardly count the Daily Mail as a reliable source, although the Times is a better one. As someone else said further up in the up the post, Muslims make up only 5% of the British population, and half of those are supportive according to this pole which means only 2.5% of the population disagrees with gay marriage.
And anyway I seem to remember the people who were most against gay marriage being Christians, not pointing fingers or anything but I've received more discrimination from them than I have Muslims ever.
Original post by daisybysshe
As a queer person myself I honestly would say I wouldn't say that it was a massive problem, at the moment. The sample was of 1,802 muslims, which, while is a big number, is in no way a big enough size to state that over half muslims hate gays/want gay marriage banned, and also there is potential that there has been a sampling error or something of that kind, and I would hardly count the Daily Mail as a reliable source, although the Times is a better one. As someone else said further up in the up the post, Muslims make up only 5% of the British population, and half of those are supportive according to this pole which means only 2.5% of the population disagrees with gay marriage.
And anyway I seem to remember the people who were most against gay marriage being Christians, not pointing fingers or anything but I've received more discrimination from them than I have Muslims ever.

You clearly have not read the article.

Result: The above users comment should be ignored.
Original post by Mactotaur
Well, if all Muslims did hate gay people, it would definitely be gay people's business.

You didn't answer my question tho, why is it your business ?

Are you serious? Do you expect people to be indifferent to the rising hatred and intolerance towards gay people just because they themselves are not gay? This is sociopathic logic. Shunning, abuse and discrimination of any group of people just by virtue of who they are naturally is everyone's business in a civilised society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Ironic that the LGBT community is one of the most vocal defenders of Islam.

It's a hard one. At the same time as Islam being a religion that in overwhelming interpretation is homophobic (worse if you take Muslims world wide) we also know what it is like to be discriminated against and it's almost instinct to jump against. I think some go to far though , especially organised/semi organised movements, and take defending Muslims as fighting agaist critism if Islam or political ideologies that give it a wide birth.
Original post by JohnGreek
And you didn't answer ours. Empathy is a real b*tch, isn't it?

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

cute smile :wink:
"Terrorists are actually the ones who obey the Qu'ran word for word. In that sense they're better muslims than the rest of you" absolutely disagree with your statement. Terrorist who kill innocent people are committing one of the major sins in slam. There's a verse in the Quran that states a Muslim should defend their religion like in a war or something but you need to understand that some extremist misinterprete the Quran to a whole new level
Only Saudi and Yemen do.

Differentiate between Islam and Islamism please. Love you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending