The Student Room Group

What's wrong with saying normal?

Ok, Before you read this I don't want to cause offence to anyone and I didn't want to when this event occurred. I want opinions please.

Ok, so me and someone at school were talking about homosexuality and I was asked if I'd ever be homosexual. They weren't like, suggesting they thought that I was it was just a question. My reply was, no I'm just normal. They basically got massively offended.

My logic is: I never said anything was wrong with being homosexual I just said the truth. It ISNT normal. It's not wrong, but the majority of people aremt homosexual so it isn't normal.

Am I in the wrong? Ive already apologised loads.
It all depends on the way that they took it. Obviously, they saw you saying that homosexuality is abnormal, because you said you are normal. Which yes will offend some people even if you didn't mean it that way.

You are correct, a majority is the normal but it doesn't mean it's the correct terminology to use in such a topic which is sensitive to some people, so it's not about whether or not you are in the wrong here but instead it's about realising that this was a sensitive topic to that person and you've hurt their feelings whether or not you are right.
Original post by FNPC
Ok, Before you read this I don't want to cause offence to anyone and I didn't want to when this event occurred. I want opinions please.

Ok, so me and someone at school were talking about homosexuality and I was asked if I'd ever be homosexual. They weren't like, suggesting they thought that I was it was just a question. My reply was, no I'm just normal. They basically got massively offended.

My logic is: I never said anything was wrong with being homosexual I just said the truth. It ISNT normal. It's not wrong, but the majority of people aremt homosexual so it isn't normal.

Am I in the wrong? Ive already apologised loads.

If you have apologised & they can't take an apology then it tsn't you fault tbh
Reply 3
Original post by -CarpeDiem-
It all depends on the way that they took it. Obviously, they saw you saying that homosexuality is abnormal, because you said you are normal. Which yes will offend some people even if you didn't mean it that way.

You are correct, a majority is the normal but it doesn't mean it's the correct terminology to use in such a topic which is sensitive to some people, so it's not about whether or not you are in the wrong here but instead it's about realising that this was a sensitive topic to that person and you've hurt their feelings whether or not you are right.

Fair enough. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing. Although, my reply to that normally would be that people are too sensitive and need to get over themselves a bit. If people say something that offends me if it's the truth I will accept it.
Original post by abxxx
I think you picked the wrong word by saying “normal” because of the connotations around that. It kind of suggests that homosexuality is weird or abnormal, even though that’s not what you meant, it’s still how it comes across because of the way language works, especially in the situation you were in. Like if you were white and you refered to being white as being “normal” just because most people are white, it’s the same kind of thing. You could have definitely used a different word like “common”.

This thread is two years old m8

Latest

Trending

Trending