The Student Room Group

What were Morrison's thinking ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epoddoulc
Shooting the animal in the head with a bolt and slitting its throat is pretty much the same. We'd take your opinion seriously if you were vegan but your argument is so stupid. The animal feels no pain when its throat is slit with a sharp knife, it dies instantly. At the end of the day, the animal is still cooked and eaten.

How would you like to die? Knife to the throat for a gargling asphyxiated bleeding-out death or a bullet to the brain? You so sure that a throat-cut is instant and painless?

You sure enough to risk that yourself if you were pushed to make that choice?

Animal slaughter is animal slaughter, it's not pretty, but at the end of the day one is far more humane than the other, and that's a quick terminal trauma to the brain.

Halal is done for religious reasons, there's nothing especially humane or animal-rights concerned about it.

Original post by sfaraj
ah i see what you mean... but personally i think halal meat is healthier and morally better than non-halal (even though i'm vegetarian) but i guess some oppose as they think it will taste bad or somehow magically convert them...

And you'd be wrong. There's nothing innately healthier about halal meat.

It's purely a religious thing. It's still raised on a regular farm with regular farming practices where allowed. The only real difference is in how it's killed.
Original post by MildredMalone
Halal was the cleanest and safest way to prepare meat in the medieval desert. It was written into the religion so butchers or whoever wouldn't cut corners for times sake - breaking god's rules is more of a nono than possibly compromising the health of your customers, apparently.

But in the modern age, halal is not the cleanest method, and should be banned before of what it entails. If muslims don't wanna eat normal eat, they should have tofu or quorn.

im vegetarian so ehhh
Original post by sfaraj
im vegetarian so ehhh

Congratulations.

A Blue Peter badge is in the post.
The latest Morrisons adverts use Soviet realist music albeit with English lyrics but I presume that's part of their promotion of Russian produce, such as boscht, Salo, okroshka, kvas etc which are popular at the moment alongside the picture of president Putin seen near the checkouts encouraging people to try their Russian range.
Original post by MildredMalone
Congratulations.

A Blue Peter badge is in the post.

awwhhh thanks but i already have one so be sure to cancel it :smile:
Shooting the animal in the head with a bolt and slitting its throat is pretty much the same. We'd take your opinion seriously if you were vegan but your argument is so stupid. The animal feels no pain when its throat is slit with a sharp knife, it dies instantly. At the end of the day, the animal is still cooked and eaten.

Absolute rubbish. Slitting a conscious animal's throat is NOT painless and death ISN'T instant.
Reply 106
Poor bloke it really is an insult to muslims to be tricked into eating pork. I bet someone who works for morrisons is getting a big kick out of all this. My sympathy goes out to my muslim brother.
Reply 107
Meh. Mistakes happen, and Mr Razaq doesn't have to worry because Muslims are allowed to eat pork in cases of necessity or ignorance. If he didn't know, then no rules were broken.
Reply 108
Original post by banterboy
i mean, why is a case of mispackaging in the national news
#professionallyoffendedvictimhood
Reply 109
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Imagine if there was this much outrage every time a British supermarket sold non identified halal meat to non muslims (The meat where the animal is inhumanely and savagely slaughtered in immense distress and pain)
#islamophobicracism
Reply 110
Original post by Ambitious1999
The latest Morrisons adverts use Soviet realist music albeit with English lyrics but I presume that's part of their promotion of Russian produce, such as boscht, Salo, okroshka, kvas etc which are popular at the moment alongside the picture of president Putin seen near the checkouts encouraging people to try their Russian range.

borscht
Reply 111
Original post by Novascope
HAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah because all farms that don't make halal meat kill their stock in less savage/inhumane ways.
"Halal" is determined by the slaughter method, not farming (as UK laws on farming require a level of animal welfare that complies with halal requirements). The only difference between Halal and regular is that regular meat requires the animal to be unconscious when its throat is cut - you know, like how you want to have an anaesthetic before an operation.

BTW, over 80% of halal meat in the UK is stunned before slaughter, so the only difference is that the animal had bismillah said over it, and it faced Mecca. Unless you are of the school of thought that claims that stunning renders the meat non-halal, in which case you need to be very careful about where you get your meat. For instance, all UK supermarkets, Nando's and KFC use pre-stunned halal meat.
Reply 112
Original post by pjm600
It was widespread. There'd be outrage if a pork sausage was found to contain horse or dog meat, which would upset many people if they ate it, same as mislabelled pork.
One was a case of isolated operator error.
One was a deliberate case of widespread, institutionalised deception.
Reply 113
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Did i do the internet right sweetheart?
No. Because it came back all #Islamophobicist
Original post by dean01234
I get that its awful for them, I'm sure a vegetarian would be equally horrified. But apparently they had to throw away their plates because they had been contaminated?!? I sense a compensation claim - for emotional distress and replacement crockery.

But ofc he would lose unless he proved some form of negligence or deliberate targeting. Going to be a bit hard. Running to the Mirror doesnt do him any good either.

The plates thing was just stupid and unclaimable.

It would be thrown out.
ITT: everyone being righteous about animal slaughter when they buy into the killing of animals for their own CONVENIENCE

methinks there's an ulterior motive

Oh wait: the M word! Carry on chaps.

On topic: the chap should get over it. It's not his fault. Veggies get on with their lives at this sort of thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 116
The "captive bolt" does not kill the animal. It just renders it unconscious (other methods of stunning include electrocution and gas). It is killed in the same way as halal slaughter. A major incision to an artery in the neck or chest, which leads to death from a massive drop in blood pressure (called exsanguination). Time from incision to death varies with animal and skill of operator, but varies from several seconds to a couple of minutes.

All studies have shown that non-stunned animals feel pain and distress from the moment of incision to time of death.

Simple question:
You are going to be killed by having your throat cut and bleeding to death.
Do you want an anaesthetic before this is done?
Yes or no?
Reply 117
Original post by sfaraj
but non-muslims dont eat halal meat so if wouldn't really affect thm in the slightest
Of course they do. Many restaurants and supermarkets sell it as a matter of course. Many are not bothered. Some have serious ethical or religious objections to it.
Reply 118
Original post by sfaraj
but non-muslims dont eat halal meat so if wouldn't really affect thm in the slightest
Of course they do. Many restaurants and supermarkets sell it as a matter of course. Many are not bothered. Some have serious ethical or religious objections to it. And the point was, what if it was sold to them as non-halal.
Original post by QE2
Of course they do. Many restaurants and supermarkets sell it as a matter of course. Many are not bothered. Some have serious ethical or religious objections to it. And the point was, what if it was sold to them as non-halal.

dammit you're everywhere i am. im not kidding im actually scared of you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending