The Student Room Group

Should people get fined for dropping litter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Nobody wants Britain to go down the road of places like Singapore, where even spitting on the street or dropping chewing gum is a criminal offence. Or urine detectors in lifts that cause the lift to breakdown so the person gets arrested.

In fact its so bad that they've even banned chewing gum in Singapore.
Neither do we want New York style zero tolerance.

Britain is supposed to be a tolerant liberal country that turns the other cheek for minor misdemeanours. I don't know how a little bit of litter can upset people so much when there are far worse things going on. Think about all the Syrians who want a new life here but can't get it because we won't let them in.

I'm really hoping this is a troll.

Litter upsets me because it's disgusting and shows no respect for your own surroundings. The people who do it are just lazy and there are no excuses for it. Britain being "tolerant" and "liberal" does not mean we should tolerate this sort of behaviour.

And of course the comment wouldn't be complete with a more up to date and politically relevant version of the "what about starving kids in Africa" meme, as though the existence of other worse unrelated problems in Syria somehow makes this problem less bad. That's not even an argument, it's a distraction.
Reply 41
Yes, if it's intentional; if someone accidentally drops something and goes to pick it up, they shouldn't be fined because it happens
I hate people littering but I don't like the idea of the polices time being taken up by trying to catch people out when there is much more important crimes out there. Its a hard one to enforce and i don't think fines will work. More bins, recycle bins and places to put out your cigarette would be a better use of money than paying people to stand around and catch people out. Think its a bit sneaky doing it at a station as well where there are purposely no bins.
Original post by Hamoody
Its the gums. The chewing gums :puke: Nasty sticky things :unimpressed:

The worst is when you accidentally step on them and they get stuck on your shoe :frown:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
There is some mad drama outside the office today.

Basically there are these three policemen sitting in the station forecourt watching all the people to see if any one drops any litter. If they catch someone littering, they're fining them.

This man on a bike is getting really cross and keeps riding round in circles shouting and just tried giving them a handful of cigarette butts.

Now one of them is fining a man for dropping a bus ticket.

What do you think about this?

tell Captain Jack to stop messing around :teehee:
Original post by Keyhofi
but surely using CCTV would be better than being there in person?

Perhaps you can tell me how that would work? Maybe your idea is that every pedestrian would wear a registration plate, like a car, so that his identity can be established from a CCTV picture?
Original post by Legendary Quest
The worst is when you accidentally step on them and they get stuck on your shoe :frown:

That's exactly what I meant, well my bad for not explaining it clearly. I love chewing them but when I stop on one, my feelings change :rofl:
Something like a £60 fine where I live for dropping litter.

People saying it's a waste of police time, well you're wrong because it's not police who issue fines, it's people who work for the council. Plus the income they have made where im from is huge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Perhaps you can tell me how that would work? Maybe your idea is that every pedestrian would wear a registration plate, like a car, so that his identity can be established from a CCTV picture?

Hahaha duuuude just be the good bloke that you are :unimpressed:
Original post by Keyhofi
Of course there should be small fines, but surely using CCTV would be better than being there in person?

Are you aware of how crap our CCTV is.... You hardly tell who someone is even when they look directly at the camera.
Original post by Hamoody
That's exactly what I meant, well my bad for not explaining it clearly. I love chewing them but when I stop on one, my feelings change :rofl:

And then you have to find the perfect opportunity to try and slyly remove the gum. That's the bad part lol
Yes. I'm sure the police have better things to do than wait around to catch people doing it, though.

Original post by BicepPeak
Are you aware of how crap our CCTV is.... You hardly tell who someone is even when they look directly at the camera.

Spoiler

And then you have to find the perfect opportunity to try and slyly remove the gum. That's the bad part lol

:rofl: I end up scrubbing my foot on the pavement very subtly while speaking to someone acting as if nothing was wrong. And then:
"Hey Hamoody, what's with your foot?"
"Nothing much really, just got pins and needles. Trying to resolve it" :rofl:
Original post by Hamoody
:rofl: I end up scrubbing my foot on the pavement very subtly while speaking to someone acting as if nothing was wrong. And then:
"Hey Hamoody, what's with your foot?"
"Nothing much really, just got pins and needles. Trying to resolve it" :rofl:

That is precisely what I do :laugh: Or if I'm walking, I'll slide my feet across the pavement to try and remove it but I end up looking like I can't walk properly :grin:
A warning should be okay, if they see them do it again then a fine.
That is precisely what I do :laugh: Or if I'm walking, I'll slide my feet across the pavement to try and remove it but I end up looking like I can't walk properly :grin:

Too true to be true :rofl:
Original post by Keyhofi
Of course there should be small fines, but surely using CCTV would be better than being there in person?

I totally agree about the CCTV thing.
Perhaps people should get a warning for their first offence. Then if they do it again should get fines.
I don't get people who litter... It's like having a poo on your bed.

What are u doing u dirty fools.
Yes, I think there should be fines for littering. But first of all, I think the law would need to be heavily publicised for a while, so that gradually there's a general change in attitude towards littering, so that it becomes a lot more frowned upon and people feel more guilt if they do it.

It's a little difficult to enforce because you can't really have a police officer standing on every street fining anyone who litters there. But I think it could be a bit like the ban on smoking indoors or using a mobile phone while driving. You're not going to get caught every time you do it, but it seems that people have gradually stopped on the whole.

Some common sense does need to be exercised though e.g. not fining people just because they dropped something by mistake, asking them to pick it up first etc.
Littering is disgusting, although it was a terrible habit that I used to have :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest