The Student Room Group

Why don't we have 'assistant doctors' who can prescribe low-level medication?

All industries (accounting, law, engineering and so on) have them: the person who is a step below the "qualified" professional and can engage in low-level, basic professional tasks.

In light of the strain on the NHS, especially GP surgeries, why don't we introduce 'assistant doctors'. These would be people who had to undergo some training, but less than that of a doctor and a nurse (not requiring a degree) and it would be largely vocational in nature. They would then be authorised to deal with/prescribe for minor ailments at the GP surgery and hospital.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Grand High Witch
All industries (accounting, law, engineering and so on) have them: the person who is a step below the "qualified" professional and can engage in low-level, basic professional tasks.

In light of the strain on the NHS, especially GP surgeries, why don't we introduce 'assistant doctors'. These would be people who had to undergo some training, but less than that of a doctor and a nurse (not requiring a degree) and it would be largely vocational in nature. They would then be authorised to deal with/prescribe for minor ailments at the GP surgery and hospital.

Like a pharmacist... or a nurse.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1629.aspx?CategoryID=68

Yes let's put people with little to no qualifications in charge of giving out drugs. Why on earth would that be a bad idea.

We need someone in between a pharmacist and a nurse in terms of prescribing power to deal with the demand in GP surgeries and hospitals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Think they're called nurses, nurse practitioners, paramedics...
When you say minor ailments what do you mean? You can see a pharmacist for basic advice and I ve regularly spoken to one before deciding if making a GP appointment is necessary or not.
Original post by claireestelle
When you say minor ailments what do you mean? You can see a pharmacist for basic advice and I ve regularly spoken to one before deciding if making a GP appointment is necessary or not.

Where what you want cannot be prescribed by a pharmacist and is too minor to be required to be prescribed by a GP or nurse.
Reply 7
We need someone in between a pharmacist and a nurse in terms of prescribing power to deal with the demand in GP surgeries and hospitals.

Nurses *can* prescribe. Read the link.
Where what you want cannot be prescribed by a pharmacist and is too minor to be required to be prescribed by a GP or nurse.

There aren't any conditions I can think of that come under that?
Reply 9

For example?
There is a new P.A role now i think , similar to a doctor but needs to work under consultant directly.
Nurses can and I think a pharmacist has some discretion
Original post by jneill
For example?

No idea, but it's obvious that GP surgeries are under too much demand, especially with minor ailments. If nurses are not meeting the demand then what's wrong with starting a new profession which takes a bit less time to qualify compared to a nurse/GP and will attract a lot of applicants and might relieve demand?
No idea, but it's obvious that GP surgeries are under too much demand, especially with minor ailments. If nurses are not meeting the demand then what's wrong with starting a new profession which takes a bit less time to qualify compared to a nurse/GP and will attract a lot of applicants and might relieve demand?

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/physician-associateassistant/physician-associate

Why would you need a new profession, why not just have more nurses? The limit is money.
What was the legal equivalent you were thinking of? You have trainees, but they arent allowed to do anything on their own initiative, except under heavy supervision.
Reply 15

As I said, nurses (and pharmacists) already can perform that role. I understand it's 4 years training for a nurse, plus a short supplementary course for the prescribing role.

I'd rather not be prescribed by anyone with less training than that.
Fam, why be just an "assistant doctor" after going through all that pain and crap loads of student debt? :erm:

You have to be properly trained, otherwise you're putting people's lives at risk. And I'm pretty sure its 4 years training for a nurse, and 5/6 years for a junior doc....soo anything less than 4 is a wee bit risky?

Doctors have to train/ learn in order to specialize further too...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17

Interesting :smile: Can they prescribe?

And they are post grads with a further 2 years of training. Sounds sensible.
Original post by jneill
Interesting :smile: Can they prescribe?

And they are post grads with a further 2 years of training. Sounds sensible.

I don't think they can yet, but it's something I imagine they'll be able to do in the future.

I would suggest you do a little bit of research about about Nurse andPharmacist independent prescribing ...

then you'll realise how little sense your comment makes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending