The Student Room Group

Advice on Journalism please !

Next year I would love to pursue Journalism at university but my parents think its unrealistic and that I would regret doing the course. At the moment Im finding it super difficult to get any work experience relating to the field. If anyone has any advice that would be really helpful. Even some advantages or disadvantage of people that have taken journalism.
Thank you.
Original post by CriticalThinker1
Next year I would love to pursue Journalism at university but my parents think its unrealistic and that I would regret doing the course. At the moment Im finding it super difficult to get any work experience relating to the field. If anyone has any advice that would be really helpful. Even some advantages or disadvantage of people that have taken journalism.
Thank you.

Consider taking another subject at undergraduate level then a postgraduate course in journalism if you still want to go down that path and have maintained an active interest. Many, many journalists take this route.
Thank you.

I agree with Ageshallnot excellent advice, plus to add once you are at uni you will have opportunities you can get stuck in to such as writing for the uni newspaper- this is open to anyone regardless of their degree subject, so there will still be journalist style opportunities.
As one of professors on the journalism course, I might be in a good position to help you figure out what to do. First: there is no better time to be a journalist. There are more media outlets for writers than ever before, and they often reward unique perspectives and voices. Second: If you want to be a journalist, then study journalism. Our department will train you to write news, features, work on radio, TV and digital, and help you find work through internships and regular contact with working professionals. Third: your professors are all former journalists; we know what we're doing.

If I can help you, then please let me know.
Original post by JournoProf
As one of professors on the journalism course, I might be in a good position to help you figure out what to do. First: there is no better time to be a journalist. There are more media outlets for writers than ever before, and they often reward unique perspectives and voices. Second: If you want to be a journalist, then study journalism. Our department will train you to write news, features, work on radio, TV and digital, and help you find work through internships and regular contact with working professionals. Third: your professors are all former journalists; we know what we're doing.

Oh, the irony.
Original post by JournoProf

Yes. Thank you if you have any advice or anything that would be great!
Original post by ageshallnot
Oh, the irony.

so can i do psychology and still become a journalist?
Original post by scrawlx101
so can i do psychology and still become a journalist?

Yes, absolutely.
Yes. Thank you if you have any advice or anything that would be great!

Seriously?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending