The Student Room Group

Do you need to know S1 to understand S2?

Hey guys, dont know if this is the right place to ask, but here i go.
I am doing A2 Edexcel maths right now, and I was wondering how much of S1 (statistic 1) I need to know to get good marks in S2 (+90%).
I have always struggle with statistics, it was just lack of interest, no revision, crappy teacher, and no foundation for stats. I mean i still dont fully understand how histogram works (i dont know what goes on the y axis and how to find width or something)
Anyway what i want is an A grade, so i want to do well in S2. I didnt know much about S1, but last minute revision and doing a lot of past paper helped me to get a borderline C.
Now i am doing S2 (have an exam in 2 months) and there is a lot of words they used which i dont understand. Variance, distribution, probability density function, cumulative probability density function,etc. Now I personally find S2 easier than S1, mainly because it seems like the entire S2 modules is based on 1 area, and for practice test, i can revise the modules and know how to answer the questions, but i dont understand the topic fully, and with this much revision, i am kinda overwhelmed and dont know where to start.
So I am asking u guys, where to start looking for S1. How much of S1 is in S2, and what chapters i need to focus on.
Yes, you need knowledge of normal distribution and discrete random variables.
Reply 2
Original post by NotNotBatman
Yes, you need knowledge of normal distribution and discrete random variables.

Just those 2, if thats the case then there isnt much for me to look at. Thanks. And do u know the best place for me to revise things in great detail. Examsolution is great but i heard for statistic, its lacking.
Original post by Agent.T
Just those 2, if thats the case then there isnt much for me to look at. Thanks. And do u know the best place for me to revise things in great detail. Examsolution is great but i heard for statistic, its lacking.

Also you need to know how to work out the mean, median, mode and quartiles. I think the examsolutions tutorial section is complete. Use the textbook as well, although some exercises are tedious, rather than useful. And don't forget to ask on here when you are having trouble with a question.

Quick Reply

Latest