The Student Room Group

Are past papers best?

Hi, I've tried making revision cards for GCSE science but i feel that it's not helping with revision. It's taking too long and I feel there's too much information to note down.

So... are past papers best? I fear I won't know all the information required this way.

Thanks in advance, revision is driving me crazy ha ha x
Yes. Same type of questions come up time and time again.
Obviously, you should learn the content first. Even just reading through and summarising points would be better than revision cards in my opinion.
Original post by lyd_kate
Hi, I've tried making revision cards for GCSE science but i feel that it's not helping with revision. It's taking too long and I feel there's too much information to note down.

So... are past papers best? I fear I won't know all the information required this way.

I havent made any notes. Get all your content done and dusted, read books. Do past papers for sciences, it gives you the 'exam language' you need to answer certain questions. Certain phrases keep popping up in past papers that gives you the exam language you need.
The trick is to do your past papers and when you're marking them, make a revision card/take notes/mindmap/read up whatever you scored low on. You won't waste time going over things you already know, and you get to work on your exam skills directly. Probably the most efficient way I can think of.
Reply 4
As mentioned, past papers are very good but learn from them using mindmaps etc. Do one paper, see what you got wrong and then revise those topics. You won't waste time on topics you already know (but still go over them a bit). Then do another past paper and repeat.
Original post by lyd_kate

try and find past papers and their mark schemes, then mark your work when done. This way you become familiar with what they are asking for x
hope that helped
Everyone has their own revision methods that suit them best, personally I find making flash cards and mind maps a complete waste of time for me, but yes, past papers are probably the most essential and effective form of revision. Not only do you test your knowledge of the subject, but you get used to the format of the examination and you get a sense of the recurring question types so you know exactly what to write when they come up. By looking at the mark schemes afterwards, you see the way in which the examiners want you to structure your answers, which keywords will gain you marks and which parts of answers are unnecessary.

However, it is important to revise in other ways as well, as it's likely that the available past papers don't cover the whole specification. I found copy/pasting the specification into a word file and then making notes under each section quite useful, that way I knew I hadn't missed anything. A handy tip I wish I'd found sooner is to check out the examiner's reports after you've sat and marked a past paper. You pick up all sorts of useful tidbits, and the author of the report will highlight general trends of areas candidates tend to be weaker on, and provide an insight into the way exam papers are marked and what the examiners are looking for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, Past papers are the best form of Revision (In my opinion) and they highlight to your weaknesses which you need to work on.
Some past papers give you an idea of the type of format you are to expect in your exam.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest