The Student Room Group

Tips for GCSE

guys i did i am not sure I am gonna pass my GCSE....can u guys pls give me tip to get really good grade.
These are my subjects:
Science
Maths
English
R.S - Islam and Christianity
Language
Sociology - picking this was the biggest mistake of my life
Geography
Reply 1
Original post by CAL999
guys i did i am not sure I am gonna pass my GCSE....can u guys pls give me tip to get really good grade.
These are my subjects:
Science
Maths
English
Language
Geography

For maths, the main thing I recommend at this stage is past papers. Just doing as many’s s you can under timed conditions and looking at the markscheme after for questions you don’t understand. If you have any questions after looking at the mark scheme feel free to post them on here and I would be happy to help:smile:

For sciences, I suggest first going through the specification and looking at each statement and doing active recall to see if you can remember the content. If there is something you forgot, make a note of it and revisit it. Once you’ve don’t this, again past papers are really important and just doing as many as you can.

For RS I am doing Christianity and Buddhism but I recommend just going through the content and learning quite a few quotes. Then practice lots of question under time conditions because imo rs is very time pressured so you just be able to think of ideas really quickly. Doing many questions will definitely help you.

for geography, again just doing active recall to learn the content and past papers. Similarly for languages, learning the vocab and many complex structures then practicing by writing. I’m sorry I don’t do sociology so I cannot hope with that. Good luck and I am sure you will do great, just don’t stress and I think what all my points have in common is past papers, doing these are really important at this stage. If you have more question, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ashirs

for sciences, i suggest first going through the specification

use the spec for sciences thats what im doing and i managed to finished the biology paper 1 in threedays
Original post by CAL999
These are my subjects:
Science
Maths
English
Language
Geography

For science:
Cognito + freesciencelessons are the best if you're struggling to understand a topic. PMT and MME revise have epic notes + past papers. Using the spec should be something you do already, it's pretty much the best help we'll get from the exam board.
Steps to acing science - 1) Understand the topic 2) Memorise/Know the key bits of info and use the spec to help 3) Practice/past papers
For maths:
Maths Genie, Cognito, GCSE Maths Tutor and Corbett maths are the BEST. Steps to acing maths - 1) Understand the topic/way of answering questions 2) Practice, practice and Practice!
For english:
The basics include Mr Bruff, seneca learning and Mr Salles teaches english, but the most UNDERRATED of them all is Glow up your grades and PMT notes (THE BEST FOR POETRY ANTHOLOGY). Steps to acing english - 1) Summarise everything for each play/text/poem on a piece of paper (this includes quotes (to analyse them), themes (main ideas of a text), context (what was going on at the time of the text being written), form/language (format and style of words used in the text) and structure (the layout of the text) 2) Memorise these! 3) Practice and apply what you have learnt: use PMT and MME revise!
Hope that helps and good luck!
P.S: How bad is sociology? I know lots of people who picked it, is it hard?
Reply 4
Original post by *LifeHappens*
For science:
Cognito + freesciencelessons are the best if you're struggling to understand a topic. PMT and MME revise have epic notes + past papers. Using the spec should be something you do already, it's pretty much the best help we'll get from the exam board.
Steps to acing science - 1) Understand the topic 2) Memorise/Know the key bits of info and use the spec to help 3) Practice/past papers
For maths:
Maths Genie, Cognito, GCSE Maths Tutor and Corbett maths are the BEST. Steps to acing maths - 1) Understand the topic/way of answering questions 2) Practice, practice and Practice!
For english:
The basics include Mr Bruff, seneca learning and Mr Salles teaches english, but the most UNDERRATED of them all is Glow up your grades and PMT notes (THE BEST FOR POETRY ANTHOLOGY). Steps to acing english - 1) Summarise everything for each play/text/poem on a piece of paper (this includes quotes (to analyse them), themes (main ideas of a text), context (what was going on at the time of the text being written), form/language (format and style of words used in the text) and structure (the layout of the text) 2) Memorise these! 3) Practice and apply what you have learnt: use PMT and MME revise!
Hope that helps and good luck!
P.S: How bad is sociology? I know lots of people who picked it, is it hard?

omggggg thank you so much.
The only reason why i picked it ( its not the only reason but like the main reason) was because my and my BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST friend wanted to do it together, we thought it would be cute to do sociology together, stress for the exams together etc. ( okay maybe i am exaggerating the last part BUT ITS STILL TRUE TO ME).....now we arent even friends and NOW SHE SITS RIGHT NEXT TO ME LIKE BRO WHYYYYYYY WHYYYYYY WHYYYYY DID I RUIN MY LIFE FOR THISSSSSSSSSSS, I WOULD RATHER PICK BUSINESS THAN THIS *****Y AS SOCIOLOGY LIKE DO I GIVE A **** IF 70% OF WOMEN GO PART TIME ( ACCORDINGGGGG TO SOMEONE RANDOM ****). NOW I AM FAILING SOCIOLOGY AND THE CONTENT IS TOO MUCH LIKE BRO WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW ABT MARXIST LIKE WHO THE **** ARE THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????????

anyways thx for listening to my rant :smile:
love from the heavens.
Reply 5
Original post by Ashirs
For maths, the main thing I recommend at this stage is past papers. Just doing as many’s s you can under timed conditions and looking at the markscheme after for questions you don’t understand. If you have any questions after looking at the mark scheme feel free to post them on here and I would be happy to help:smile:

For sciences, I suggest first going through the specification and looking at each statement and doing active recall to see if you can remember the content. If there is something you forgot, make a note of it and revisit it. Once you’ve don’t this, again past papers are really important and just doing as many as you can.

For RS I am doing Christianity and Buddhism but I recommend just going through the content and learning quite a few quotes. Then practice lots of question under time conditions because imo rs is very time pressured so you just be able to think of ideas really quickly. Doing many questions will definitely help you.

for geography, again just doing active recall to learn the content and past papers. Similarly for languages, learning the vocab and many complex structures then practicing by writing. I’m sorry I don’t do sociology so I cannot hope with that. Good luck and I am sure you will do great, just don’t stress and I think what all my points have in common is past papers, doing these are really important at this stage. If you have more question, feel free to ask :smile:

thank youuuuuuuuuuu
Original post by CAL999
omggggg thank you so much.
The only reason why i picked it ( its not the only reason but like the main reason) was because my and my BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST friend wanted to do it together, we thought it would be cute to do sociology together, stress for the exams together etc. ( okay maybe i am exaggerating the last part BUT ITS STILL TRUE TO ME).....now we arent even friends and NOW SHE SITS RIGHT NEXT TO ME LIKE BRO WHYYYYYYY WHYYYYYY WHYYYYY DID I RUIN MY LIFE FOR THISSSSSSSSSSS, I WOULD RATHER PICK BUSINESS THAN THIS *****Y AS SOCIOLOGY LIKE DO I GIVE A **** IF 70% OF WOMEN GO PART TIME ( ACCORDINGGGGG TO SOMEONE RANDOM ****). NOW I AM FAILING SOCIOLOGY AND THE CONTENT IS TOO MUCH LIKE BRO WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW ABT MARXIST LIKE WHO THE **** ARE THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????????

anyways thx for listening to my rant :smile:
love from the heavens.

Lol, that's true, at first it might be interesting but it's mostly data and facts no one really cares much about/will apply in their daily lives.
That's unfortunate, but keep pushing through and I'm sure once it's over you'll feel better!

Quick Reply

Latest