The Student Room Group

Trying to figure out what my fourth A - Level should be

Currently i have picked out to do Law, Psychology and Drama. However, i am stuck as to what i should choose for my fourth one, are there any other subjects that go well with the 3 i have already chosen?
Original post by Keyford
Currently i have picked out to do Law, Psychology and Drama. However, i am stuck as to what i should choose for my fourth one, are there any other subjects that go well with the 3 i have already chosen?

History, English Literature and Sociology are all possibilities. Have you got any ideas on what degree you'd like to do? (Assuming you want to go to uni that is) :smile:
Why are you doing Law? What are your aspirations?

History + English Lit + Psychology is a more robust combination, with more 'facilitating' subjects.
Reply 3
I have 3 dream jobs in mind, i either want to be an voice actor, a lawyer or a psychologist that helps people with mental health problems. It's because of this that i chose Drama, Law and Psychology. As for university i haven't thought that far ahead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Keyford
I have 3 dream jobs in mind, i either want to be an voice actor, a lawyer or a psychologist that helps people with mental health problems. It's because of this that i chose Drama, Law and Psychology. As for university i haven't thought that far ahead.

You don't need A-Level Law to apply for Law at university. Better to take up English Lit/History which are more general and applicable for most humanities and arts courses at university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Based on what you've said you want to do, it will be impossible to do Law with those A levels.

I doubt you'd even need Drama for voice acting. I would imagine you just show up for interviews with a good voice.

A quick google search tells me that Maths, English, and History would be good for a Psychology degree. Those would also be suitable for Law.
Reply 6
For voice acting all you need is a good voice and work experience, i had only chosen Drama because i was stuck picking A - Levels. Would Law, Psychology, English and History be good A - Levels to choose then?
I was stuck for a fourth so I chose a EPQ - it sounds perfect for me, it's half an A level, entirely coursework, you choose whatever you want to do, you could make a suit or write a play or do a performance or write essays on something, whatever you're interested in. Just an idea :-)
Reply 8
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Based on what you've said you want to do, it will be impossible to do Law with those A levels.

I doubt you'd even need Drama for voice acting. I would imagine you just show up for interviews with a good voice.

A quick google search tells me that Maths, English, and History would be good for a Psychology degree. Those would also be suitable for Law.

Hey i had spoke to the careers advisor today at my school and she informed me that the other subjects would be fine as long as they're academic (so out goes drama etc.) So i have decided i'm going with Law, Psychology and history, do you know of a fourth A - Level that would go along with them? I would pick english at A-Level though i doubt i'd be good at it.
Original post by Keyford
Hey i had spoke to the careers advisor today at my school and she informed me that the other subjects would be fine as long as they're academic (so out goes drama etc.) So i have decided i'm going with Law, Psychology and history, do you know of a fourth A - Level that would go along with them? I would pick english at A-Level though i doubt i'd be good at it.

Law is generally a blacklisted A level on a number of universities' 'preferred subjects' list.

Nothing wrong with taking it, so long as you take at least two of the 'preferred' or 'facilitating' subjects.You'd be fine with Psychology and History, I think. UCL and LSE have Psychology on their list of 'preferred subjects'. I do believe certain colleges in Cambridge list it as a subject of 'less limited suitability', though. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

Go for Lit, Geography, Music, or a language, alongside your History, so that you can be 100% certain that you have enough 'traditional subjects' for those that do not accept Psychology. If you did that, you could safely choose Drama as a fourth subject. You could even have it as a third if you went with something like Geography and History for your other two.
Reply 10
Law is generally a blacklisted A level on a number of universities' 'preferred subjects' list.

Nothing wrong with taking it, so long as you take at least two of the 'preferred' or 'facilitating' subjects.You'd be fine with Psychology and History, I think. UCL and LSE have Psychology on their list of 'preferred subjects'. I do believe certain colleges in Cambridge list it as a subject of 'less limited suitability', though. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

Go for Lit, Geography, Music, or a language, alongside your History, so that you can be 100% certain that you have enough 'traditional subjects' for those that do not accept Psychology. If you did that, you could safely choose Drama as a fourth subject. You could even have it as a third if you went with something like Geography and History for your other two.

Thank you for answering my questions, you've been a big help! :biggrin: (thank you to everyone else who commented as well!)
Original post by Keyford
Thank you for answering my questions, you've been a big help! :biggrin: (thank you to everyone else who commented as well!)

>'Thank you for answering my questions, you've been a big help!'
>Doesn't rep posts
>Doesn't give personal rep

:wink:
Reply 12
>'Thank you for answering my questions, you've been a big help!'
>Doesn't rep posts
>Doesn't give personal rep

:wink:

Haha sorry i'm new to this so i don't even know what this rep system is.
(Nevermind i've figure it out, i think)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
the most important thing is to pick stuff you are actually good at, will enjoy, and will get good grades in. Yes, you need to do 2 solid subjects, but you have to actually enjoy them. 'Blacklisted' subjects is a very misleading term...its not like theyre going to see Drama and be like 'nope they're not coming here', its just you need a couple of academic subjects in there too. I'm at oxford and have friends here who did art, film studies, sociology etc and they all got here despite everyone calling them 'soft' or 'blacklisted' subjects

Quick Reply

Latest