The Student Room Group

Trouble with Structural Design

Having massive trouble designing elements for a four storey building. Need to design a two-way spanning concrete slab, steel beam, steel column and possibly a concrete transfer beam acting as the roof of a basement whilst also as partial foundations (acts as a continuous beam, simply supported) [pile foundations are at either end but that isn't necessary in the design]. So many examples online are so complex and don't just have a simple step-by-step guide on how to go about designing these simple elements. Floor grid is 30x18m, with uniform slabs 6x6 fitting within this space. Floor height is 3m for first three floors and 4m for basement, just for added details. If anybody can link me to a simple worked example for students guide or help me out before next week that would be great!
Original post by REstudent
Having massive trouble designing elements for a four storey building. Need to design a two-way spanning concrete slab, steel beam, steel column and possibly a concrete transfer beam acting as the roof of a basement whilst also as partial foundations (acts as a continuous beam, simply supported) [pile foundations are at either end but that isn't necessary in the design]. So many examples online are so complex and don't just have a simple step-by-step guide on how to go about designing these simple elements. Floor grid is 30x18m, with uniform slabs 6x6 fitting within this space. Floor height is 3m for first three floors and 4m for basement, just for added details. If anybody can link me to a simple worked example for students guide or help me out before next week that would be great!

Queen's University Belfast have some very good and concise examples of design to Eurocode 3 online. You can also Google "Examples to Eurocode" as there is lots more info out there, some of which may be useful. This assumes that you are designing to Eurocode, though.
Reply 2
Sorry, hurriedly wrote this, yes designing to Eurocodes for all elements, problem is I've googled examples and most are too complicated for my situation and don't give, excuse me for saying this, a quick fix for my problem. But I will try QUB's examples and hope for the best! Last year I used "Structural eurocodes: PP1990, 2010: extracts from the structural eurocodes for students of structural design" but I referenced it horribly so might have to bite the bullet and use this again and find my references, just a shame because the second years are being taught it a completely different way to us and I've been so caught up in my thesis I've forgotten a lot about design...
Post a drawing of what you're trying to design, and I might be able to help, although I have only designed steel beams and columns before, never having anything to do with concrete.

Quick Reply

Latest